Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #31
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
In Star Blazers a mystical being guides the humans to the planet "Iskandar" where the cosmo DNA is located to save the Earth. Unknown to the humans, "Iskandar" is also "Gamalon (?)" the home world of the alien race. The humans think they are evading the aliens on their way to "Iskandar" while in reality they are heading to the heart of the enemy the entire time.
Actually, Iskandar and Gamelon are a double planetary system, orbiting the same sun. Bummer to find out the hard way...
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:42 PM   #32
Ioraptor
Bad Email Address

I must admit I liked Star Blazers more than Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid.
I have read that Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock take place many years after the events of the Star Blazer series. Is this true?
Ioraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:48 PM   #33
jonahlee
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioraptor
I must admit I liked Star Blazers more than Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid.
I have read that Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock take place many years after the events of the Star Blazer series. Is this true?
I didn't think so. I was always under the impression that Harlock (or Herlock as it is now called) and Galaxy Express were in one continuity, and Space Cruiser Yamato was in it's own. And of course the Continuity of Herlock and Galaxy Express do seem to change from time to time, but are still thematically the same.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM   #34
Ioraptor
Bad Email Address

Well I went looking to find out for myself. Looks like what I heard was kind of right.
http://seattleotaku.com/reviews/matsumoto/
Ioraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:58 PM   #35
jonahlee
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioraptor
Well I went looking to find out for myself. Looks like what I heard was kind of right.
http://seattleotaku.com/reviews/matsumoto/
Wow, I never knew that. It really doesn't seem so. The universes always seemed pretty different to me, as well as the planets, just the characters seemed the same (at least look wise).

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #36
SpyOne
On Vacation...

Time to dump all the data I have.

Star Blazers (1979) was a translation of the Japanese show Space Cruiser Yamato (1974), so it predates Galactica in Japan at least.
In the American version, Derek Wildstar is the central character, and his love interest (Nova) is the only female member of the crew. (In Japan, the ship was the central character.)

More parallels: in the second season, the enemy is the Comet Empire, who have a mysterious weapon that deactivates high-technology devices. The ship from the original mission is the only Earth ship that can fight back because her crew stubbornly resisted upgrading to computer-controlled guns and drives. (Even to the point of stealing her.) (Sound familiar Mr.Moore?)

And another parallel; some folks cast Galactica as a Cold War metaphor, and StarBlazers was in some ways a tale of WWII:
The Gamalons (evil enemy aliens) totally outclass the humans, and are crushing Earth's defenses. They have creamed our navy and can bomb the planet at will. They keep dropping bombs which are poisoning Earth with radiation, and already the radiation levels have driven all life underground. In about a year the planet will be unlivable.
Derek Wildstar lost his parents in an enemy attack years ago, and his older brother (last living relative) was killed in the last battle with the aliens. When they capture a Gamalon pilot and get their first look at one, Derek goes nuts at the idea that these horrible atrocities were committed by someone who appears entirely human. He cannot believe that anything human could do those things.
And Earth's only hope for salvation is the Yamato, a space ship built from the hull of the sunken WWII battleship of the same name, which is also an ancient and holy name for Japan.
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #37
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
I remember Star Blazers. I watched it when I was about 6. it was great! Better than some of the trash they put on today!

Indeed. Knocks RDMs POS into a cocked cesspool.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote