Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > All About Models
Notices
All About Models Information on making models, real or CGI. Tutorials as well.
Requests and questions should be posted here.

Old July 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Physical Model metallic paint question

I need some advice on how to protect a metallic paint without dulling it.

Is there any clear spray gloss that can be put over Valspar Metalic Silver spray enamel? (non-laquer)

We have a model rocket for county fair and the nosecone and a thin stripe on the fuselage are the mirror-chrome finish silver but that color finger prints if you touch it. We are trying to protect it without dulling it.

Thanks!
Julie

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Viper 500
Shuttle Pilot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: Physical Model metallic paint question

Hello Julie.

Just read your post. Although I am not sure about a spray coat to meet your need, but it occured to me you could use the shrink film that is used to insulate older windows in the winter. It will shrink down with heat, but not sure how the heat will affect your rocket. The plus is that it could be removed later to display the rocket. Also you could just wear gloves when handling the rocket to keep prints off it until it is placed on the launch pad and when is retrieved. You may also want to contact Valspar about a spray product to fix your issue.

Good luck,

Wes
Viper 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Physical Model metallic paint question

Thanks for the idea. I don't think the shrink wrap is an option because these things need to be nearly perfect. (not that we are there this year because water-slide decals are a bear). I will try emailing Valspar as they may have a solution for this. Thanks for your help.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Andromeda

you'll need to use a gloss clear coat that is of the same type as the paint used on the model.
A model being on display (public) at a fair I would advise against spray cans. if possible try find some one with a compressor and spray gun (or an airbrush) to apply the clear coat.
Spray cans can't be controlled, as the paint is used up in the can the pressure drops and gives an uneven finish.
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
jjrakman

Testor's Glosscote is likely what you're looking for.

http://www.testors.com/product/13601...sscote_Lacquer