Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 11th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #1
flyingamoeba
Bad Email Address

Default Dirk Benedict Article- Me and My Health

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2518398

Me and My Health - Dirk Benedict

By Roger Crow, PA Features

Dirk Benedict, 58, was born in Montana and made his name in cult sci-fi series Battlestar Galactica in 1978, and found further success in The A-Team in 1983.

He still lives in Montana, with his sons George, 16 and Roland, 14. The new, reimagined Battlestar Galactica plays on February 16 and 17 at 9pm on Sky Movies 2 and he can be seen in the original series on DVD which is available now.

HOW MUCH SLEEP DO YOU NEED?

“Ideally I think a person only needs four hours, if you’re really healthy that is. Generally, between six and eight hours.”

HOW DO YOU FEEL FIRST THING IN THE MORNING?

“The best I feel all day. I always wake up feeling absolutely spectacular.”

WHAT EXERCISE DO YOU TAKE?

“Chopping wood. I live in Montana and have my own forest. I have three wood stoves and have to provide them with wood so I cut the trees down and chop them all up. Also I play sports. Soccer, skiing and basketball but I don’t go to the gym every day.”

ARE YOU CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU EAT?

“Yeah, my whole secret to my existence is what I feed myself. I have a macrobiotic diet which is based on whole grains such as oats, corn, wheat, barley, rice, buckwheat and millet. That’s the staple instead of beef, chicken or fish and then vegetables, beans, seaweed and fish sometimes.”

ARE YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN OVERWEIGHT?

“No. I eat as much as I want when I want. I don’t deny myself what I want but I don’t eat sugar, I don’t eat ice cream, dairy products or junk food.”

DO YOU TAKE VITAMIN AND MINERAL PILLS?

“I take no supplements, nor do I believe in them. If God had wanted us to take supplements he would have put them on trees. The body gets addicted to them and they can be very unhealthy. In the short term they can be beneficial but to take them daily, they’re very hard on the kidneys and the liver.”

DO YOU DRINK OR SMOKE TOO MUCH?

“I hope so. I drink and smoke. I’m on the Churchill diet when it comes to that. I’m a big fan of Winston. I like fine cigars although they’re so expensive in England. Rather than chain smoking 25 cigarettes a day, it’s better to puff on a nice cigar once a day. A nice drink of whatever is good but everything in moderation.”

DO YOU CATCH A COLD MOST WINTERS?

“I never used to but for the last four years I have. I think it’s because I’m a single parent with my two boys. I get worn down and my immune system gets a little weak. I’ve been catching one cold every winter. I think if you’re healthy, colds are the body’s inability to make the transition from winter to summer. I usually get them in the spring or the fall.”

WHAT FOODS CAN’T YOU BEAR TO EAT?

“Refined food. Junk food. I can’t bear it. I couldn’t eat it if I was starving to death. If I was going to eat a hamburger I would buy the best meat and I’d make my own.”

DO YOU THINK YOU SUFFER FROM STRESS?

“I have stress but I don’t suffer from it. I have two teenage boys who are a joy. I have financial stress but the old cliche is life is too short. But I think stress is the pressure that creates character.”

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN HOSPITAL?

“Yes but I ran out. The doctors told me: ’You have prostate cancer and we’re going to have to carry out an orchiectomy’. I said: ’What’s that mean? They said: ’Castration’. So I got off the table and ran. They would never do that any more but the stuff they do now is pretty much as ineffective. I fought the cancer with a macrobiotic diet. I would never go to the hospital now except for a broken bone.”

DOES YOUR JOB AFFECT YOUR HEALTH?

“These days my job really is home-making. Cooking, washing, picking up and dropping off. I just hosted a cruise in Mexico. I’ve done that three years in a row. I’ve spoken at health conventions and I’ve made appearances at autograph conventions. I do the odd thing like that but I think being a celebrity is carcinogenic. Most diseases are a result of excess and excess adulation is very difficult for people to handle.”

HOW OFTEN DO YOU CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR?

“I haven’t had a doctor for 30 years. I have a couple of doctors who are friends and I consulted a doctor for my two sons over a couple of skin conditions and broken bones. I don’t want to be arrogant but I don’t get sick. The best answer is: I am my own doctor.”

DO YOU LOOK AFTER YOUR SKIN?

“No. I should use oils or whatever but I work on my beauty from the inside out.”

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR BODY?

“I’m happy with any body.”

DO YOU TAKE MORE CARE OF YOURSELF AS THE YEARS GO BY?

“I don’t, I take less care of myself. Through my 20s and 30s I didn’t drink for 15 years. I took seven years to deal with the cancer. It was a long journey of strict behaviour to stop the abhorrent cell growth. It’s like being a monk. I suppose the real answer is now I have children I take real good care of them. I don’t care so much about myself.”
s
flyingamoeba is offline   Reply With Quote