this is it, the better one
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...2&d=1289472493

an older picture with gun barrels modeled off a uss new jersey kit
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...6&d=1287809920
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #32
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Landram driving test in CE3

It could certainly be done. Cryengine 3 will allow multiple weapons to be placed anywhere without any problem.
If you have the 3d modeling skills to model it, then you already have the needed skill set to work with the game engine. Its not like it used to be, almost everything is built through a GUI now, very little (or none at all) programming required. Also If you dont use Max, Maya or softimage there are now model import capabilities for Sketchup and Blender and even a new tool to allow almost any FBX file to be imported. The main modeling limitations are 65k verts/faces per model (multiple models may be linked together in the engine though) and build in Quads and tri's. 5+ sided ngons cause graphical errors. These rules generally apply to most all major game engines like Cryengine, UDK and Unity.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #33
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Nice! Now that is the "battleram"? Interesting design.

Reallusion 3DXChange, the conversion program for bringing .obj or Google Sketchup models to iClone, as a rule will warn you if an object exceeds 30,000 faces. However, I've rarely had a problem with this limitation, as it seems that iClone runs better with imported conversions than with its own downloadable content.

In fact, I actually have to watch just how much downloadable iClone content I use in my set pieces, as a lot of iC DLC will actually slow down performance in trying to set up animations. It's amazing. The first corridors I was using for the Galactica were almost entirely made up of iC DLC, and the app would crash if I tried to do anything further with it. So I resolved to build my own corridors in Blender, and ported them over to iClone. Runs MUCH better now.

iClone is in fact trying to establish itself as a viable part of a game pipeline.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #34
Andromeda

Thanks punisher,

I might have to drop polys on the treads, those have a lot of faces like the car wheels and tyres i was modelling. i would be interested in tackling that one day. how would the physics side of cryengine cope
with a hover-tank version of that battleram?

Cheers
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM   #35
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

The easiest way to do a hovering vehicle is to model the wheels with low poly basic cylinders (12 sided cylinders would be fine) and then texture them with the "no-draw" material. If you look at one of the earlier images I posted you will see the Landram with large red wheels occupying the full width of the treads. Those are the wheels that the landram actually is riding on, but they are invisible.
The physics part is all done according what data you input into the vehicle editor. Vehicle weight, power, CG location, spring and shock data etc... I spent about 5 or six hours adjusting the values of things like that for the landram. At first it would almost instantly flip over, funny stuff.
A hovering vehicle like a Landspeeder would be super simple to make, and you could even add a particle effect, or even better a heat wave distortion effect below the vehicle. Cryengine makes this stuff very simple, UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is similarly simple, but actually much better documented. My main reason for using Cryengine over UDK is the very simple to implement AI system, UDK's supplied AI is totally geared towards Arena deathmatch Bot behaivior.
There are a lot of really good Tutorial Video's that can get you started working with either game engine very fast. And the best part is that they are free.
www.crydev.net
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM   #36
Thunderstruck
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
The easiest way to do a hovering vehicle is to model the wheels with low poly basic cylinders (12 sided cylinders would be fine) and then texture them with the "no-draw" material. If you look at one of the earlier images I posted you will see the Landram with large red wheels occupying the full width of the treads. Those are the wheels that the landram actually is riding on, but they are invisible.
The physics part is all done according what data you input into the vehicle editor. Vehicle weight, power, CG location, spring and shock data etc... I spent about 5 or six hours adjusting the values of things like that for the landram. At first it would almost instantly flip over, funny stuff.
A hovering vehicle like a Landspeeder would be super simple to make, and you could even add a particle effect, or even better a heat wave distortion effect below the vehicle. Cryengine makes this stuff very simple, UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is similarly simple, but actually much better documented. My main reason for using Cryengine over UDK is the very simple to implement AI system, UDK's supplied AI is totally geared towards Arena deathmatch Bot behaivior.
There are a lot of really good Tutorial Video's that can get you started working with either game engine very fast. And the best part is that they are free.
www.crydev.net
Eh, hate to but in, cuz I got no clue as to whats happening here, but that what your are saying,
sounds an awful like a game engine?

Vehicle dynamics editors and all.....

Just poppin in...

Randal.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM   #37
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Randal,
Yes, game engine is right. I have been building all my models and such with the intention of using them in a BSG game. Actually I look at it more as an interactive story told through a single player game. I am working with Cryengine 3 free SDK right now. This is a long term project, and has been ongoing for a very long time. Currently its mostly a personal project, but a some point when I have more of the framework established I will be recruiting additional developers. This is a free non commercial project.
A short demo level may be available around the end of the year (that's optimistic).
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #38
Andromeda

Sounds really simple now. I looked at one of the renders before and did see
the big red wheels. makes perfect sense.
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #39
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

It really is very simple. If you can work in a 3d modeling/animation app then you can work with this game engine.