Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > New Twists On Old Episodes
Notices
New Twists On Old Episodes Share views on what changes you would make
if YOU were remaking the Original Series episodes

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #121
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Well, truth be known, there are actually a scene or two that I think could be "improved" but, I just don't like getting too comfortable with the idea of updating canon. ( I absolutely do NOT like when 'updates' are made like the one in Return of the Jedi, at the celebration, where Hayden Christiansen's "spirit" image replaced that of Sebastian Shaw. )

The one scene that I think could be harmlessly updated and actually improve the overall sequence is the final assualt on the 2 base ships by the Pegasus. My suggestion for an improvement would be to actually insert footage of the missiles, on a trajectory toward the base ships, and to also clean up the laser shots.

Another would be the shield effect, projected from the Galactica, during the missile launches by the Terrans and the Eastern Alliance. That "blue thing" has always looked a little hokey to me.
all good points .. I to never liked the replacement of Shaw in RTOJ ,, Hayden Christensen was unaware of the change... while I like some symbolic aspects of the addition .... if I had some input for the effect ( Lucas no doubt thought it was a good idea ) I would have had the younger Skywalker (Christensen) slowly morph or change back to older Skywalker (Shaw) keeping both. in away allowing Luke see both the young man and the older.

but some of you own observations tally with mine ... the character scenes should be untouched apart from a clean up or modernization for the digital technology...

the only areas I am talking about is the space ships and other effects.

the viper scene that always fustrated me was where Apollo flies around the Cylon Tanker . you can plainly see the transparent support. I saw that the first time I saw the film ...

I don´t mean to or want to pull the film apart but if its something that I am annoyed by . I sure there are other fans too, that just try to ignore it and carry on watching regardless. when there is the means (relatively cheaply now with CGI) to address these errors

and I like stories with good characters and the effects secondary. but the effect have to live up to the story .. and they are not !!. modern viewers focus more on effect and while the films are hits .. they are sooner or later forgotten.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #122
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
[yoda on]Ah, smart cookie, you are.......In agreement, I am.[yoda off]

Cookie ,, Hmmm

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #123
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

off the top of my head, The only Acting scene I would touch is actually just a reedit. In Living Legend, You hafve Apollo and Starbuck in Cain's office, They talk, then move to the Galacticafor cain's welcoming. Adama offers Cain to relax aboard. But the next scene, they are unexplicably back on Pegasus and Cain talks abotu Sheba and Cassie. I'd put that back in the original order. I klnow Mission galactica has this edited correctly.

Like I said, this is the ONLY editing change I can forsee wanting.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #124
gmd3d
Major

I never really thought the actors scene need an editing change .. I have to look at that again ....

Old May 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #125
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
off the top of my head, The only Acting scene I would touch is actually just a reedit. In Living Legend, You hafve Apollo and Starbuck in Cain's office, They talk, then move to the Galacticafor cain's welcoming. Adama offers Cain to relax aboard. But the next scene, they are unexplicably back on Pegasus and Cain talks abotu Sheba and Cassie. I'd put that back in the original order. I klnow Mission galactica has this edited correctly.

Like I said, this is the ONLY editing change I can forsee wanting.
I have to disagree on this, because when I saw the sequence unspool in Mission:Galactica, it just struck me as inappropriate that the first thing Cain would be asking about would be Cassiopeia. It made more sense and made Cain seem more appropriately cautious that he wouldn't make such an inquiry until afterwards. In fact, I think what likely didn't work was having an establishing shot of the Pegasus before that conversation, and it might have been better for this to have been taking place in the VIP quarters aboard the Galactica (and Cain thus would have just brought over his own holo messages).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:32 AM   #126
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I've tinkered with LL and the Mission footage for about three years.

After reading Eric's comment, I finally used the LL cuts of the scenes but moved the hologram scene directly after the "the Cylon Empire is about to fall" speech but split by the establishing shot of the Pegasus. I feel comfortable with it now.

I can agree with Eric comment but it feels stupid having the scene later on in the broadcast ep.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:37 AM   #127
Matador
Viper Pilot

Hello all. For some reason I was not able to get access to this site for a few days... It was apparently down. I'm glad it's back up.

Some mentioned the ROTJ scene at the end with Hadden. I agree... Bad move. I thought that really made no sense... Why have old OBI-wan, old Yoda, and young Anakin.

Anyhew, back to Remastered BSG... I would agree that adding a more dynamic scene with Pegasus going all out against two Base Stars would be awesome to see.

This is very do-able.

For anyone interested... I started working on the CG model of Galactica/Pegasus.

I've just got the main shape of the old girl down (Galactica). I'll start adding detail a bit later.

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaA.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaI.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaE.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaD.jpg
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #128
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Hello all. For some reason I was not able to get access to this site for a few days... It was apparently down. I'm glad it's back up.

Some mentioned the ROTJ scene at the end with Hadden. I agree... Bad move. I thought that really made no sense... Why have old OBI-wan, old Yoda, and young Anakin.

Anyhew, back to Remastered BSG... I would agree that adding a more dynamic scene with Pegasus going all out against two Base Stars would be awesome to see.

This is very do-able.

For anyone interested... I started working on the CG model of Galactica/Pegasus.

I've just got the main shape of the old girl down (Galactica). I'll start adding detail a bit later.

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaA.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaI.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaE.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaD.jpg
Good start on the Big G ..... the site had a crash but looks ok now

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #129
Matador
Viper Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Good start on the Big G ..... the site had a crash but looks ok now
Thanks... Working on the detail stuff now. Whew! lots of work on that part.

Should have some cool updates soon.

Matador
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #130
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Thanks... Working on the detail stuff now. Whew! lots of work on that part.

Should have some cool updates soon.

Matador
yeah . good luck with that .. there a tons of details

Old May 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #131
Matador
Viper Pilot

OK, here is an update.

Just mostly messing around with scaling and adding just a tad of detail work to see were I am going to go with this.

There is some green stuff highlighting some of the areas in this shot. This will be removed. And yes that's a tiny viper in the scene. Just there for scaling purposes.
http://oqudnw.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaP.jpg

Here is another shot of the launch tubes and a Viper along side.
http://oqudnw.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaN.jpg

This one just gives a small idea of the scale of Galactica.
http://oqudnw.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaK.jpg
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #132
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
OK, here is an update.

Just mostly messing around with scaling and adding just a tad of detail work to see were I am going to go with this.

There is some green stuff highlighting some of the areas in this shot. This will be removed. And yes that's a tiny viper in the scene. Just there for scaling purposes.
http://oqudnw.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaP.jpg

Here is another shot of the launch tubes and a Viper along side.
http://oqudnw.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaN.jpg

This one just gives a small idea of the scale of Galactica.
http://oqudnw.bay.livefilestore.com/...GalacticaK.jpg
Great update .. but you really should start your own thread in the Arts section and in the In Progress area ....

Old November 15th, 2023, 02:02 PM   #133
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

More than a decade later, it is time for me to make amends and issue a total mea culpa for the hardline I took in this thread back in 2010 regarding my opposition to seeing new versions of the original episodes with new F/X to exist alongside the originals. I think at the time I was being too heavily influenced by what had happened to the original cuts of the Star Wars trilogy that it colored my judgment on this topic. In the years since I've had a chance to see Dave Kerin's own re-edits on various episodes with his F/X and they are well-done.

Some of the unfortunate things in this thread may have been my knee-jerk reacting to the comments of others who I thought were getting personal, but I now freely admit I was wrong about the subject to begin with and had I not felt the need to speak on the subject then the problem could have been avoided.

I know this is not an active Forum like it used to be in those days, but at least I feel better knowing that I've gotten a chance to fix things in this thread at least, even if I should have done it a lot sooner (I know I didn't in the four year period when additional posts would have been lost).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2024, 06:37 PM   #134
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst View Post
well, truth be known, there are actually a scene or two that i think could be "improved" but, i just don't like getting too comfortable with the idea of updating canon. ( i absolutely do not like when 'updates' are made like the one in return of the jedi, at the celebration, where hayden christiansen's "spirit" image replaced that of sebastian shaw. )

the one scene that i think could be harmlessly updated and actually improve the overall sequence is the final assualt on the 2 base ships by the pegasus. My suggestion for an improvement would be to actually insert footage of the missiles, on a trajectory toward the base ships, and to also clean up the laser shots.

Another would be the shield effect, projected from the galactica, during the missile launches by the terrans and the eastern alliance. That "blue thing" has always looked a little hokey to me.

amen!!!!!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote