Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Jayworld
Warrior

Default Why Tron Legacy is akin to Battlestar

Having seen Tron Legacy 3 times in 3D in the theaters, and now twice through the Blu Ray I purchased (great buy), I find it ironic that Disney did to the Tron universe so well that should have already been done for Battlestar Galactica:

In a nutshell, created a modern movie with updated effects and a continuation storyline featuring some of the original cast (the major actors) and the next generation. Sure, the movie wasn't Oscar material, but I thought it quite good and compelling, and best of all, a CONTINUATION of the original Tron movie, 25 years after the fact.

Reminded me so much of what we were trying to achieve through the Colonial Fan Force and through Richard Hatch's "Second Coming" trailer. Has it really been 13 years since I first saw that at a local Sci-Fi convention?

Tron Legacy made over $400 million worldwide, not including tie-in sales from DVDs, Blu-Rays, and toy merchandising. If the rumored Larson/Singer movie project could only take some lessons from Tron Legacy?
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Jubal
Warrior

Default Re: Why Tron Legacy is akin to Battlestar

Well, this seems to touch on two points:
1) Continuity:

The thing that we all learned from new BSG that TRON, Doctor Who, and Star Trek seemed to learn from is don't forget your past. Work with it. Embrace it. Touch it up, don't apologize, don't write over.

New BSG was confusing to me in that there are elements of the old mixed in with the new. They show the old viper designs, they show the old Cylons, and so forth, but yet the prior storyline did not exist.

Star Trek took a neat approach to it. The previous stories DID exist, but this was a new timeline. Basically what new BSG did, but there is no acknowledgement of the older like that, so a lot of us old fans just basically said "Frack you" to the new series rather than watch it.

2) Similiarities to TRON and Battlestar:

Hmmm... wow, let me think on this one....

Really can't think of any. I did have some fun making a Light Jet pilot and give him a Starbuck-like persona in a TRON role play recently, but that is about it.

(The light jets, like the Vipers to me, were pretty cool.)
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Why Tron Legacy is akin to Battlestar

Its always in very bad taste to insult the original when you remake something. And whats really frustrating is when you see elements in an insulting remake that are so very well done, makes me wish that much more that they had done it all right instead of just some parts. Thats even worse than a complete incoherent disaster.

They did Tron right, great example.