Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:36 PM   #1
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Question what happened to terra

did adama leave enginers to help stop cyclons cant belive they just left was to be spinoff show what might have been did they have the over 1000 stardestoryers like he said what kind of fleet did the west have, talked about interceptors one of my faverite moments from show and one of two in greeting from earth was when they come up behind the battlestar and says ive never seen any thing that big appalo says now you were tellin us about this invisable fleet of yours the other one being when they say there the most powerful force in the univerise and starbuck says i belive you thats what is so incourging how far from teera did they go could they help the fleet???
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Antelope

I always thought if I was a colonial and stayed in the fleet for 20 years after leaving Terra to find Earth in 1980 I would have hung Adama!

Depending on how you interpret things said in the show you can believe:

1. When they reached Terra they had escaped the cylons for good. The "Alliance" was Galactica's second enemy followed in the future by others on the way to Earth.

2. John implied the colonials were not meant to stop and that the destinies of the two worlds were not to be intertwined at that time.

I liked the Terra episodes although like Saga of A Star World it is a parable about the Cold War again. I didn't like the Galactica's planet shield. If they had that ability you would think the original conflict would have been different.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
. I didn't like the Galactica's planet shield. If they had that ability you would think the original conflict would have been different.
I'm getting a *404* when I try to recall a "planet shield". Do you mean when the Galactica lasered all of the inbound missiles fired by the Eastern Alliance? Or are you referring to something in G80, which I never watched?
:confused:
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #4
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
I'm getting a *404* when I try to recall a "planet shield". Do you mean when the Galactica lasered all of the inbound missiles fired by the Eastern Alliance? Or are you referring to something in G80, which I never watched?
:confused:
I was referring to the way the Galactica was able to destroy all the inbound missiles. It looked like a hemisphere wide shield as opposed to individual lasar shots.

I liked the Terra episodes but don't know if in the big scheme it advanced or detracted from the mythos.

It seemed obvious the Terrans were related to "Earth" in a way the colonials weren't. The fact that Terra means Earth being the obvious example although the Terran speach was pattern after us as opposed to the colonials

I assumed the "Terrans" were elements of the 13th tribe that colonized Terra as opposed to the rest of the tribe that went on to Earth. If "John" didn't say Terra was not Earth I would assume it was.

The Terran episodes however did imply that the Galactica was serving a higher purpose and that maybe what happened with the cylons was all part of God's plan. A rational person would have stopped. Only faith through the angel John gave them any real reason to continue.
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #5
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I must admit that I have never quite understood why more was not made of finding a planet of humans. What about archeology to find out more about the 13th Tribe. A safehaven to conduct repairs and get R&R. Trade and even buy some new ships !!!!!!!!!

If you're walking through a desert and you find a settlement, you don't just keep on walking because a guy from Knightrider (sorry...err...'John') says to.......

I think it's something that they wouldn't get away with if they put in a story told on 2004. But I guess that was 1978.......

Ernie90125
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #6
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
I must admit that I have never quite understood why more was not made of finding a planet of humans. What about archeology to find out more about the 13th Tribe. A safehaven to conduct repairs and get R&R. Trade and even buy some new ships !!!!!!!!!

If you're walking through a desert and you find a settlement, you don't just keep on walking because a guy from Knightrider (sorry...err...'John') says to.......
Ernie90125
Those are all good points and for me get back to the heart of the matter of why the entire Terra Trilogy is the worst storyline of the series. It just goes nowhere, starting out with this grandiose premise and getting bogged down to the point of silliness and then giving us a weak and lame payoff. John's explanation may have been enough for Apollo, but does anyone think there wouldn't have been Council members saying "So what if it isn't Earth?" And wouldn't Adama have been willing to allow people who wanted to voluntarily leave the Fleet to settle there?
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125

I think it's something that they wouldn't get away with if they put in a story told on 2004. But I guess that was 1978.......

Ernie90125
Ernie, I always took it as John had given them the Galactica equivelent of the prime directive; that they were not to interfere in Terra's affairs any further than what they'd been asked to do, and that they were not to "help" them evolve their technology.

Also, the Hand of God at least came after the Terran arc and in that the Colonials found the Cylon Basestar and took it out. I believe another reason the colonials didn't stay is that they risked inviting the Cylons to a world not equiped to defend itself.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Bombadil

Quote:
I was referring to the way the Galactica was able to destroy all the inbound missiles. It looked like a hemisphere wide shield as opposed to individual lasar shots.
OK, I remember that. At the time, I thought it was kind of a weak visual effect, but it was probably a budget matter--matting in what looked like a hemisphere of force must have been easier and cheaper than showing hundreds of individual laser shots taking out the missiles rapidly, but still one-by-one, which is what was really happening.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #9
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Also, the Hand of God at least came after the Terran arc and in that the Colonials found the Cylon Basestar and took it out. I believe another reason the colonials didn't stay is that they risked inviting the Cylons to a world not equiped to defend itself.

Jewels
I very much enjoyed the Hand of God episode. Although I didn't ponder it at the time, now I am confused about some things. Maybe some of you who know these things better can answer this:

During the Terra episodes didn't the narrator say that the colonials had escaped the cylon tyrrany and now faced the "alliance"? It seemed to me like the shows are out of order and that Hand of God should have been the last cylon episode prior to the Terra episodes. You can't have cylons before Terra and after Terra but they are no threat or issue to Terra.

Was Hand of God thought up at the last minute and no thought given to overall story continuity?
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #10
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
During the Terra episodes didn't the narrator say that the colonials had escaped the cylon tyrrany and now faced the "alliance"? It seemed to me like the shows are out of order and that Hand of God should have been the last cylon episode prior to the Terra episodes. You can't have cylons before Terra and after Terra but they are no threat or issue to Terra.

Was Hand of God thought up at the last minute and no thought given to overall story continuity?
The reference to escaping the Cylons dealt with losing them after "War Of The Gods." You then have one lone Cylon basestar, sent out to a distant region to lie in position on "the rim of the galaxy" in the hopes of finding the Galactica so thus, this baseship never crossed paths with Terra.

And yes, you can have "Hand Of God" after Terra for a simpler reason. You can not have Adama agreeing to release Baltar in exchange for information, and then have him back in prison staging a prison break in the second episode of the Terra trilogy.
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #11
Antelope

Thanks. Now it makes sense again. One more question.

Is it implied in Hand of God that the colonials escaped the cylons for good or do they just have a big lead on them now?
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Thanks. Now it makes sense again. One more question.

Is it implied in Hand of God that the colonials escaped the cylons for good or do they just have a big lead on them now?
The answers to those questions alas, would have required a second season for us to find out. What I have always assumed though, is that dispensing with the Cylons and freeing Baltar in the last episode of season 1, was intended to make the Cylons a less visible presence in season 2 with Baltar demoted to "Guest star" status in which he in all likelihood would have been seen again as a baseship commander, but only on the kind of one in five or six episode type of appearances that Lieutenant Gerard would make in "The Fugitive." The Cylons have to be a threat that shows up once in a while, but just not on the regular basis any longer.
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM   #13

Thumbs up they left a rear guard on terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
did adama leave enginers to help stop cyclons cant belive they just left was to be spinoff show what might have been did they have the over 1000 stardestoryers like he said what kind of fleet did the west have, talked about interceptors one of my faverite moments from show and one of two in greeting from earth was when they come up behind the battlestar and says ive never seen any thing that big appalo says now you were tellin us about this invisable fleet of yours the other one being when they say there the most powerful force in the univerise and starbuck says i belive you thats what is so incourging how far from teera did they go could they help the fleet???
they left people to help build better ships and defenses adama would not let the cyclons destory the only non colony world they found
:c: :c: :c: :c: :c: :c: cyclons closing in worn the galactica
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #14
Aeneas
Warrior

Fanfics have handled the whole"Whatever happened to the Alliance/Terra"question pretty nicely. Personally I like the "Journey's End" Pts. 1-2 storyline(Maximum Press Comics) in which the Eastern Alliance somehow got the drop on and conquered the Cylons, then subsequently used them as their new Enforcers. This ultimately enabled them to subjugate not only the (Western) Nationalist but also the Colonials and Earth!!!
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #15
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas
Fanfics have handled the whole"Whatever happened to the Alliance/Terra"question pretty nicely. Personally I like the "Journey's End" Pts. 1-2 storyline(Maximum Press Comics) in which the Eastern Alliance somehow got the drop on and conquered the Cylons, then subsequently used them as their new Enforcers. This ultimately enabled them to subjugate not only the (Western) Nationalist but also the Colonials and Earth!!!
"Journey's End" with its whole time travel jumping and ultimately deciding to change the entire premise of the series as a consequence was a very weak way for that Max Press series to go out on. It almost seemed like they no longer had any faith in Galactica to begin with.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #16
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
"Journey's End" with its whole time travel jumping and ultimately deciding to change the entire premise of the series as a consequence was a very weak way for that Max Press series to go out on. It almost seemed like they no longer had any faith in Galactica to begin with.
It was "Deus Ex Machina" to be sure--but I still like how it handled the Alliance/Cylon question. I've heard others(not on forum) suggest that the "humanoid" Cylons of G80(see "Night the Cylons Landed") were the result of the Cylons taking over Terra and finding the humans there(specif. the Alliance) more to their liking as opposed to the Colonials.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #17
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas
I've heard others(not on forum) suggest that the "humanoid" Cylons of G80(see "Night the Cylons Landed") were the result of the Cylons taking over Terra and finding the humans there(specif. the Alliance) more to their liking as opposed to the Colonials.

Interesting premise, though in another sense that was a natural progression of Apollo's point in "Saga" about how Cylons discovered that humans were the most practical lifeform to adapt themselves to, so making them more humanoid over time was one of the few things about G80 that had a degree of credibility in the regular Galactica tradition.
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #18
Senmut
Strike Leader

I think the Terra Trilogy would have gone somewhere, if we had been granted a Y2, and if Larson had not implemented the proposed changes. We'll probably never know, but it struck me as a build-up to whatever the next season might have held, and frankly, it only increases my enjoyment of the Trilogy.
Once more, may 50 tons of daggit mong turn up in ABC's programming dept. water coolers!!!!!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #19
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
I think the Terra Trilogy would have gone somewhere, if we had been granted a Y2, and if Larson had not implemented the proposed changes. We'll probably never know, but it struck me as a build-up to whatever the next season might have held, and frankly, it only increases my enjoyment of the Trilogy.
Once more, may 50 tons of daggit mong turn up in ABC's programming dept. water coolers!!!!!

[Count Iblis, still in command of Aeneas' keyboard--steps away from his titanic struggle with holodoc... temporarily]

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN....

SO LET IT BE DONE!!!

[thunder]

Old April 7th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #20
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Interesting premise, though in another sense that was a natural progression of Apollo's point in "Saga" about how Cylons discovered that humans were the most practical lifeform to adapt themselves to, so making them more humanoid over time was one of the few things about G80 that had a degree of credibility in the regular Galactica tradition.
I agree with you on this 100%. I thought that the episode in BSG80 with the human cylon was one of the few good episodes. I think Moore's current run with "human cylons" is a natural progression from TOS and BSG1980. I would be curious to know if Larson had plans to introduce such a concept if he made a TOS season 2.

I never like the idea of time travel except at most as a freak non-repeatable abboration. That was one of the main weaknesses of BSG80 along with superhuman powers for ordinary colonials.

I can't see the Eastern Alliance taking over the cylons as they were portraid in TOS. The Terra people were not as advanced as the colonials and the colonials couldn't beat the cylons in a 1,000 yahrn war. Maybe a fan fiction could explain it well. If you read such a fan fiction let me know some details if you thought the story plausible.
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:52 AM   #21
ray243
Shuttle Pilot

hmm...maybe terra can be a stopover point for cain to repair his ship and built up a small fleet and go to help the colonial someplace later since John said the terrans destruction may somewhat affect the colonials
ray243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2020, 03:08 PM   #22
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: what happened to terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
hmm...maybe terra can be a stopover point for cain to repair his ship and built up a small fleet and go to help the colonial someplace later since John said the terrans destruction may somewhat affect the colonials
Excellent idea. Aren't there some Fics to that premise?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote