Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Starkiller
Frak!- Apollo

Default Solaria getting a total revamp

So, Solaria is back as you all know, and still in the VERY early stages. However, I've been working with a few things, and I've become a bit stumped. I'd love for this to be a Colonial Fleets community effort as it is my own effort. Therefore, if anyone has any sort of idea they'd like to share regarding plot, I'd love to hear it. We're going from scratch, and tossing the original idea for Solaria out the window. (Also, look for updates in the official site soon!) I'd like Solaria to try and be the reboot we never got. While BSG 04' is a good show on its own, in my opinion it isn't Battlestar Galactica. The original BSG was such an original show in its idea, and I'd like for this to return to the feeling of the original. So, a basic understanding of Solaria:
-This is the same universe as the original BSG.
-This is a reboot in a sense.
-Solaria is still an advanced Battlestar, better than the rest of the fleet.
-There may or may not be a "fleet" in this film.
-I'd like to make more than 1 film, but for now it's just 1.
-The length of the film should be about 30 minutes or under. (20 to 30 Min.)

So, pass around some ideas! I'd love to hear them! You can post them here or PM them to be. If you want, you can email them (buffaloes79@gmail.com) or contact me at my MySpace (myspace.com/buffs79)

Old January 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
JSC1
Warrior

Default Re: Solaria getting a total revamp

Whenever I think of the Solaria I think of the battlestar by the same name destroyed in the novelization. A destruction David Kerin brought to life in his fan edits, and well done I might add.

I guess I'm thinking that during the fleet attack some survivors got off the Solaria before it was destroyed. What few Vipers that got off provided cover for the escape pods that escaped the fleet. However due to heavy Cylon fire the pods were left to fend for themselves.

The Atlantia would not have gotten any pods off by the way. Since it was the first to go they would not have had time to scramble. The Galactica's battle readiness bought the other ships SOME time to get vipers off, and some escape craft underway.

The pods would have rendezvoused (probably spelled wrong) at an abandoned planetoid and would make arrangements to try to make it to a secret dock where a new Solaria was being constructed. However due to the peace conference it had not been field tested, or tested extensively. They would seek to use the new Solaria to see if they could rejoin the fight, only to find the fight over and they had lost. So they have a new mission. Recover any survivors and get them to safety, hense a sereis of guerilla missions with the new ship to find lost humans and get them to safe harbor until they could find a new place to live, or way to drive back the Cylons.

Just off the top of my head.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
CB2001
Bad Email Address

Well, one thing I can recommend is having the person in charge of the Solaria be paranoid about the truce, much like Adama was in the original show. But instead of following orders, the commander of the ship breaks his orders and tries to defend one of the 12 Colony planets, only to fail and taking on some damage that would require heading down to the planet and getting parts from a ship junkyard. While there, the landing party discovers some survivors, but then they are attacked by Cylon Centurions. The landing party has to hold them back the best they can until they could retrieve the last necessary part.

That's all I can think of.
CB2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Be careful before signing yourself up for loads of character animation. I'm told its very hard.

Ship only stories can still be fun and creative. My best suggestion to you is create a 1-2 minute 'proof of concept' trailer or separate short story. Then you have something in your hands.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Reaper63
Shuttle Pilot

I'm of the mind that the Battlestar would have been under construction or space trials in a restricted part of colonial space. Probably furthest from the Cylon Alliance border as possible. (other side of the colonies) There might be a civilian population center close to it (there are refernces to outposts not on one of the 12 colonies in the series - Ice Station Thula for example)

I'd say when the Colonies are attacked, and the Fleet destroyed (except for the Galactica) This ship would finish construction as fast as possible, and then start ity's new mission, either trying to retake the colonies or finding a new home, like the Galactica.
Reaper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #6
KJ
Strike Leader

This BG fan movie sounds sweet indeed!

Nice to know that like many high quality fanfilm productions, you guys are making this out to be something special, and not just a few uber fans out in some large forest in the United States somewhere's with Lightsabres battles, a camcorder, a few Stormtrooper costumes and poorly lit shots etc like a good 60% of the Star Wars fanfilms. And is moving towards something higher up in production and quality to be something more seriously taken.

Along with the 14th Colony fanfilm the BG fanbase might kickstart some all-new Battlestar Galactica fan movies and create some waves far as online news goes!

I'm wishing you all the best with it starkiller and co, i've been busy with a few things as of late but once i've got a serious idea for you all i'll post it up for all to read, and see if that helps you guys out any.

KJ
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Starkiller
Frak!- Apollo

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Keep em' coming!

I do have a quick request relating to models, though. When I download the models off of this site one of two things seem to go wrong. The first is that they don't already have Textures on them, and the second is that they come in pieces.
I use Blender, which can open Lightwave files. I'm absolutely horrible at editing anything, so if anyone could take the time to fix up one of the Battlestar and Viper models for use, I'd love it. Or, if anyone would like to design something new! Like I said, I'd like to involve the Colonial Fleets community in this.
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Star Dragon
Shuttle Pilot

I know this is 6 months old (sorry for bumping).

But has this progressed any further?

I have a few elements I'd like to suggest, but if this is dead then sorry for the "ressurection".
Star Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote