Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Improved CD Release Coming?

Those of us who treasure our four CD set of Stu Phillips music from the series should remember that it comes from Stu's own set of mono tapes, and not the original master tapes in the Universal vault (and is also missing some random stuff). For years, this was the best we could hope for because Universal was one studio that kept its vault stubbornly closed to film music labels that license out rare TV/Film music for limited release on CD.

In the last year, Universal has finally been opening up the vaults and it seems very likely that a new release of Galactica music drawn from the original stereo tracks *may* and I stress *may* be on the horizon. I am an active member at Film Score Monthly's message board and an old thread about the 4 CD set was recently revived because someone was inquiring about finding old copies. That prompted this message from one of the honchos at LaLa Land Records, which has in the past released CDs of TV music from "Lost In Space" and the original "Outer Limits"

"Save your money. lol. I'm just saying...

smile
MV "

That would seem to suggest that at some point a much improved set that I know we would all love to have is not too far off, so we should all keep our eyes peeled in the coming months!
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Improved CD Release Coming?

As a soundtrack lover and supporter of Stu's work, i'd support an eventual re-release of this should it come to past!

If your in the know then, i hope you can pass on the request for both a restored Battlestar Galactica soundtrack with both the original and any remixed variations in an all-new release Eric?

While we all know the orignal music is most important, i'd also love to hear some remixes though just to pan out any CD update, with many more tracks you understand?

This is great news to hear of though all round, so thanks for passing this on to us. Please keep us poor schmoes updated as i want to hear more of this as it comes along.

KJ
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Excellent news!!! I love my anthology, but it would be great to hear a stereo remaster of that music. The version of the original theme from "Saga" is so much more deliberate sounding than the re-recording on the soundtrack that was released.

I did my own edit of the exploration/main title as it sounded in the premier and I love it. If they cleaned up the distortion on that recording and released it I would be a happy camper!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #4
JLHurley
Warrior

"Those of us who treasure our four CD set of Stu Phillips music from the series should..."

"Treasure" perfectly describes how I feel about the set! Thanks for the news and please keep us updated!
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #5
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I have the 4-CD set. If this new set is ever released, I will probably buy two copies so as to have one that's still prestine in 20 years.

I hope this comes true.

Russell
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #6
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
I have the 4-CD set. If this new set is ever released, I will probably buy two copies so as to have one that's still prestine in 20 years.

I hope this comes true.

Russell
Ditto re: buying two copies. In fact, I picked up two copies of the original 4-CD set so I could keep one in my truck and one safety in my home.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #7
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

My 4-CD set is autographed by Stu Phillips and I saw him sign it!
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #8
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Same here! Stu is the best. I e-mailed him about a month before Galacticruise asking him where I could get a copy of the 4 CD set and he said he would set one aside for me. Sure enough...I went up to him the first day of the cruise and introduced myself just as "Mark" and he responded right away with "Mark Todd? If so I have a CD set aside for you so I don't sell it to anyone else".

I figured he just put one aside...but he came to dinner that night with a set wrapped in paper that said "for Mark Todd" on it. Such a class act!

I ended up dining with Stu and his wife Dori all but one of the nights of the cruise. He will talk music with you for hours if you get him going. The cruise ended on a Friday and Stu was scheduled to conduct on Sunday and I wasn't missing it. I guess he got pretty sick after the cruise but you never would have been able to tell once he took the stage. He conducted three separate pieces from "Saga of a Star World" and then "Stars and Stripes Forever" at the end of the concert.

I made my way from the lawn seats way in the back to see if I could say hello and caught up with Stu near the side of the stage. Not missing a beat he said "Look who it is!" and told me he had to take me to see his wife Dori. She jumped up right away and gave me a big hug and they both insisted I join them at their table. Such gracious people!

I guess none of the people at his table were Battlestar fans so he exclaimed in front of them "How's that for a fan? He drove up here from San Diego!" They changed their tune a bit and realized they were sitting with a musical legend once they saw a few other fans come up to greet him.

He had some interesting things to say about the Galactica music one the cruise. Mainly that no one at Universal could find the master copies of the sheet music for years and were telling everyone it was destroyed. It wasn't until he recorded the the pilot score in Scotland a few years back that he was able to locate it filed under S as "The Saga of Battlestar Galactica" in their archives.

He also told the story I mentioned above about the distortion in the recordings for the pilot that lead them to re-record some of it for the soundtrack release. I know they'll be able to clean that up on a new release!

Stu is such a great guy and a fantastic composer. If you haven't read his book, I highly recommend it. Its a very fun road map of how the record industry has really changed, and in some ways really hasn't over the years. Good stuff! If you have a chance to meet Stu do it! You won't regret it.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #9
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Mark, that's a great story.

When I met him, he made me come around the other side of the table where he was so I could have my photo taken with him, he just put his arm around my shoulders and we smiled for the camera. He really is an awesome guy.

Meeting him and Anne Lockhart (which was a dream come true) on the day was just out of this world