Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM   #31
JSC1
Warrior

Default Re: BSG Fanfilms - why so few, if any?

I think Galactica 1980 provided a solution to the 'bridge problem'.

I think after Galactica was canceled the bridge set was struck. When they did Galactica 1980 they built a small section of the bridge when they needed to do a 'bridge shot' accompanied with generic stock footage of the bridge. Footage that had crew members going about their business. They'd do the overhead bridge shot then switch over to the section where the bridge action needed to happen.

I think they rationalized the use of this section as 'the communications bunker'. Because sometimes Adama took some calls from Troy in this section.

Even in his fan edits David Kerin used some stock bridge footage. Maybe that is what needs to be done for bridge shots for a while. Use stock footage, then build a small section that bridge action can take place in.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM   #32
Vulpa II
Shuttle Pilot

JSC1, that's exactly what I have been planning. I thought it would be easy enough to build just a small section of the bridge, and then you could always green screen a background.
OR
you could build several small sections for medium shots, but not necessarily have them connected. It would definitely help with physical space constraints.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM   #33
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I think where "we" sometimes get it in over our heads is thinking on a large scale which, like Warrior said...we don't have the money or the man power for. I think Charybdis has done something cool with short stories that are episodic. Take that template and throw a couple more people on the project to do some CGI and act along side him and we'd have something pretty cool. He pulled off a few bridge shots that were pretty decent!

I like the idea of building small sets. Grab some Tektronix computer gear off ebay and throw rivets all over the place and you've got the right look!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #34
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate the kind words about my mini-eps. I realize that my niche is pretty small given the world of fanfilms and they are not the greatest out there, but at least I'm cranking out something to tell my stories given my very limited budget. It's just something I wanted to do since I love Galactica but I decided on doing very small projects that can be done in a short amount of time with few actors and well within any costume and budget constraints. However, I am trying to expand all the time within reason!

I want to thank David Kerin who reworked some of his bridge shots so I could use them in my Callisto series. And a short update: I am already more than halfway through the editing of the next installment of my Battlestar Callisto mini-ep "Baltar's Revenge - Part II." In fact, I will have the largest cast I have ever put together for this episode, a total of 4 different actors will appear in this one!

I hope to have it out within the next couple of weeks at the latest. Stay tuned!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:02 PM   #35
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Small but awesome! Heck, you have your own viper cockpit. I want my own viper cockpit!
I like how you decided to use what you had and knew you could produce with. There is something to be said for working with what you have available to you.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #36
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

What Charybdis is doing is amazing!!! and I look forward to being able to travel down to be in one of the Mini Eps. I'm hoping that we can REALLY blow the cast record out of the water and give a nicely packed Ep.

But everything comes down to how much distance there is between fans. Right now, In Blackstar Squadron, there appears to be a NICE selction of costumers in lower Cali. Between San Diego and LA, there should be a nice group of people with costumes available.

Things are a little slower here on the East Coast. and a bit more spread.
In the same train of thought, and compairing everything to Star Wars, there are over a hundred local people here with costumes that could lend a hand to a fan film. It's fustrating and I do have some ideas that I'd like to explore (including building a Viper Cockpit as well lol) but I would need others in the area to help out.

I think the key to making longer and more involved films is finding a way ti incorporate those that costume around you, even if it's not BSG costuming. That and smaller sets and locations.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #37
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Thanks, Ed.

And without further ado, I now am announcing that my latest Callisto mini-ep "Baltar's Revenge Part II" is now FINISHED!!!!

I need to distribute it to Daniel and Hawke (which are the two websites that host my fanfilms) and I hope to do it in the next couple of days at the latest.

Stay tuned, BSG fanfilm fans, another one is coming very soon!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #38
Andromeda

Look forward to seeing it

cheers