Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 6th, 2004, 05:13 AM   #1
James Swallow
VIP

Story Artist
BG Video Game

Default Mission "episode" titles

Just FYI, I thought I'd post the "episode" titles for the Battlestar Galactica game missions...

1 - The First Patrol
2 - A Cry in the Darkness
3 - Target: Galactica!
4 - Rendezvous at Hades
5 - Sole Survivor
6 - The Gates of Infinity
7 - False Flag
8 - Tail of the Tiamat
9 - The Devil's Hand
10 - Payback
11 - Strike Force
12 - Test of Fire
13 - Allies and Enemies
14 - Reap the Whirlwind

We also had plans for a bonus mission, "Past Imperfect", featuring Starbuck and Apollo, but production constraints meant we couldn't include it...

There's some more info about the game on my website -
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Redwingproject/battlestar.htm

James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #2
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Hello James. It's good to see you here.

I, along with Ken worked with Zoic on the Galactica mini-series doing some of the fleet ships for the series.

A couple of puzzling questions for you on the game. I actually purchased a ps2 system just to play this game. I was both thrilled and disappointed at the same time. It was worth every penny to finally fly a viper against the cylons but a very serious weakness in my eyes is the inability to save more with in the game. Going back to the begining of a mission is one thing but going back to the *very* begining is not only a pain in the butt but in my eyes is very disappointing.

The game design is really dark. Not in the sense that it's a *dark* presence but dark visually. It's sometime hard to figure out *where* exactly you are persay.

All in all it's a Galactica fans' dream to finally fly a colonial viper but again the dream may end for some quickly without satisfaction.

James, can you shed some light on as to why you guys did not provide the game player the ability to *save* more in game?

Thanks

Don
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Don you said it. I finished the game today and was disappointed as heck. There are quirks as mentioned.

1) Flying in formation- If you watch the inbetween movies the ship is out of place and there are times you can't compenstae=game over.

2) Colonial Bomber- When Paulus announces that the mission will end if more Vipers are lost there is a tendancy for the bomb button to drop all of the bombs even when pressed once easily.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #4
James Swallow
VIP

Story Artist
BG Video Game

Quote:
Originally posted by Titon

James, can you shed some light on as to why you guys did not provide the game player the ability to *save* more in game?
Hey Don,

The save game structure was a design element that I had no involvement with, so I can't comment on that!
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

JAMES!!!!

Welcome to the Fleets! Wow! I am really honored that you would join our small little island on the net. I haven't gotten the game yet, But everyone has mentioned how much they liked playing the game. There are always a few critiques, but in a fandom starved for a faithful revival this was the best thing going for it so far!

I bought the original playstation2 waaaaayy back when they were impossible to get. i didn't get it the first day, but I really was constantly trying to get one and got lucky. Sadly though, I've only really have found 3 games so far that I really wanted - Final Fantasy X, Metal gear Solid2, and Gran Turismo3. Sadly until tihs last winter nothing else really was that great.

But now I plan to get three more, FFX-2, Soul Calibur2, and your game. So out of all PS2 history, it ranks as within the top 5 of games I wanted to get. (5 since I only got GT3 cause ther was such a drought of games to get)

I was wondering if you could tell us more about what you did on the game? I'm a minor illustrator and cg artist and I always am looking to get into doing this kind of field (making games).

Also I would like to honor you with a title like the ones me and Titon have below our picture. Like maybe "BG(VG) Story writer". Would that be right?

Thanks again for coming! We are so lucky to have ya here! Everyone please welcome James!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:14 AM   #6
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the comment James.

I'll keep diggin

Old January 7th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default The Million Dollar Question.

James will there be a sequel to this game? Sales look like they are off the chart. My local Walmart didn't even carry it and Best Buy can't seem to keep it on the shelf. They are selling at a phenomenal rate.
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #8
James Swallow
VIP

Story Artist
BG Video Game

Conundrum7g said...
Quote:
I was wondering if you could tell us more about what you did on the game? I'm a minor illustrator and cg artist and I always am looking to get into doing this kind of field (making games).

Also I would like to honor you with a title like the ones me and Titon have below our picture. Like maybe "BG(VG) Story writer". Would that be right?

Thanks again for coming! We are so lucky to have ya here! Everyone please welcome James!
Thank you once again for the warm welcome and the nametag - I'm delighted to see people so interested in the Galactica videogame! I had hoped to visit Galacticon last year in person, but deadlines kept be tied to my computer, so I'm pleased to be able to talk to fans (even in a virtual sense) here on the forums.

To explain my part on the game; I was hired early in 2003 as the project was on the cusp of cancellation and asked to revise and develop a script and character materials, based on storyline elements left over from an earlier incarnation of the title (which was worked on by Grant Morrison). I wrote the script that you hear in the cutscenes/in-game action, as well as creating some of the character backstory for the main cast.

Kingfish asked...
Quote:
James will there be a sequel to this game?
That would be cool... Personally, I love to see something with a mix of space combat and FPS gameplay, but who knows? I guess we'll have to see how well this game does...
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #9
Jayworld
Warrior

James:
Welcome aboard! I think the big question that we lovers of the original series want to know is:

Is the time travel sequence featuring Apollo and Starbuck (Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict) in the game somewhere, or was it cut?

I noticed that in the game credits in the instruction booklet, Richard and Dirk are credited for two roles each, including Starbuck and Apollo.

I'm still on mission 1, but others who have completed the game have stated that there is no Apollo or Starbuck. This would be very disappointing (and I think misleading) for some of us, as I know one big reason I got the game was to see this sequence.

Thanks,
Jay
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hey James! Its just good to HAVE ya!

To me, I'm curious HOW you go about writing a story for a video game. I've only recently gotten back into videogames. But some of them have been absolutely amazing in the stories they tell! Full of love, adventure and all sorts of save the day goodness. But what amazes me is how much like a movie alot of these have become. I think its absolutely wonderful to feel like you are in this huge several days/weeks long movies where you can control the characters!

The price is high compared to a movie, but you get 20-30 or 100 hours of storyplaying. Sometimes with cg animation that is much better than what you see in a Pixar movie!

Do you actually play any games? Or do you just prefer to write them?

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Jayworld it is nowhere to be found.
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #12
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thanks for posting the link James.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:13 AM   #13
James Swallow
VIP

Story Artist
BG Video Game

Jayworld said...
Quote:
Welcome aboard! I think the big question that we lovers of the original series want to know is:

Is the time travel sequence featuring Apollo and Starbuck (Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict) in the game somewhere, or was it cut?

I noticed that in the game credits in the instruction booklet, Richard and Dirk are credited for two roles each, including Starbuck and Apollo.

I'm still on mission 1, but others who have completed the game have stated that there is no Apollo or Starbuck. This would be very disappointing (and I think misleading) for some of us, as I know one big reason I got the game was to see this sequence.
Okay, I've seen the comments going back and forth about this element of the game, so I'm going to explain the situation as I understand it. Please bear in mind that I had no involvement with the final decisions on the gameplay and programming aspects of the Battlestar Galactica game.

While I was writing the script for the game, the producers who told me that Dirk Benedict and Richard Hatch were going to provide voices for in-game supporting characters (but not Starbuck and Apollo, as they couldn't appear in the game's time period). As well as having them playing supporting characters (such as Richard voicing Rylo in the opening cutscene) we talked about some unlock options with different voice tracks.

One idea was to have Dirk and Richard record all the speech for Cain and Paulus, so that if you completed the game on a certain difficulty level, you could play through again with them voicing those roles. I'm not sure if this was included in the final version of the game.

I suggested that as we had the original Starbuck and Apollo in the studio, we should use them! I wrote a bonus mission script ("Past Imperfect") which featured Starbuck and Apollo time-travelling back to help out the young Adama, but as far as I know this was cut due to programming constraints and time issues. I still have the script for this mission, so perhaps I might be able to post it on my website in the near future.

I was told that Starbuck and Apollo would appear as unlockable wingmen in the finished version of the game. You are assigned wingmen if you play well - and the longer you keep them alive, the better they get, although if they die, you lose them. We had Richard and Dirk record wingman speech as Apollo and Starbuck, so if you complete the game with a certain score/on a certain difficulty level, you get Apollo and Starbuck as your wingmen.

As far as I know, this is the option that was chosen and this is how and where Apollo and Starbuck appear in the game, although I wasn't told how you unlock them!

I'm sorry if anybody felt 'misled', but this game was never intended to be about Apollo and Starbuck - it's the story of Adama's first mission, and it's centered on him. I hope this clears up any confusion!
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #14
James Swallow
VIP

Story Artist
BG Video Game

Conundrum7g said...
Quote:
hey James! Its just good to HAVE ya!
To me, I'm curious HOW you go about writing a story for a video game.
<snip>
Do you actually play any games? Or do you just prefer to write them?
Happy to be here, Conundrum!

You're right when you say games are getting more like movies - the script for the BG game was about the length of one for a feature film!
Writing a game is a lot different from TV, film or radio - game scripts are more fragmented and there isn't a set format. Many scenes are replayed in multiple ways depending on different endings or conditions (I wrote Adama's death scene four or five times!), even in a linear game like BG. It's a very difficult discipline that I'm still trying to master - but as games get more advanced, I'm hoping that game scripts and stories will improve to match the quality of the gameplay and graphics...

As for playing games, I love to! I have a PC, X-Box and PS2 and I play loads of games on all of them... Right now I'm playing GTA: Vice City, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge and Vietcong...
Old January 9th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #15
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default The Wingmen

Yes they are part of the cheat codes. I managed to unlock three of them but haven't heard Richard or Dirk.
Old January 12th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up for us James!

I think your idea for including the real actors was a stroke of genius! Or at least a very wonderful thing. Its amazing how you could NOT do something like that. I'm glad you play games, cause you probably know from playing alot of games that things don't have to make sense when you add in unlockable extras. I bought Ehrgeiz (a fighter) just cause it had Tifa, Cloud and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy in them.

If you do post the script, make sure to let us know!!! We would love to read it!!

Old January 12th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #17
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
As for playing games, I love to! I have a PC, X-Box and PS2 and I play loads of games on all of them... Right now I'm playing GTA: Vice City, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge and Vietcong...
Ah! You are a man of action!!! Hehehe

I really need to play more games! My friend did send me the link to one new game's website http://www.fatalframe.com. And that game reeeaaallly spooked me!!! Its rare a game can be truly scary. it was one of the things I liked about Resident Evil. But god the graphics in Fatal Frame looks unerving! I looked at the trailer and really got the heeby jeebies! Okay, ya stick me in a haunted house with things that wanna kill me, and all i get is a flashlight and a CAMERA?!? Where's my trusted DoubleBarrell Shotgun from all the other games I played?!?