Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 8th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default A BSG Continuation: It's about us, it's always been about us

That's right, as soon as Battlestar Galactica went off air with the showing of The Hand of God on April 29, 1979, that's when our fandom started the campaign for a continuation of the original story.

We couldn't accept Galactica 1980 and we can't accept nuGalactica as neither one rings true to the original work has laid down by all those who gave Battlestar Galactica form.

Before Hatch, Larson, DeSanto, Singer, Hammer, Moore and Eick ever emerged to bring the concept back in some way it was we who stayed true and wrote those letters and signed peititions and waited.

We're still waiting.

Ours may be rag tag fandom of many differeing opinions, but we've all worked together by supporting the CFF to give it one last roll of the dice. It's the greatest thing we as fans have ever done.

Never think, that you don't matter, keep on supporting TOS in any form you can and stay true to what you've loved and supported for nearly 26 years.

I won't be watching nuGalactica, I'll not give them a ratings point, hell, they can stunt cast every TOS actor still breathing but it won't make me watch, because I know deep down that's the one thing TPTB fear, is that no one/or not enough people will watch.

I've drawn my line in the sand and with CFF I've helped make the strongest possible statement I as a consumer can make.

I'd urge every TOS fan to hold the line because united we stand, divided we fall.

Best,

Peter
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Couldn't have said it better myself, Peter.

It's sad, but I cannot bring myself to watch this new show even with the TOS actors in it...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Got my Colonial Fan Force post cards and coffee mug this weekend...time to write and write.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #4
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Well said Pete.

Well said.

Old August 24th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think you did an awesome job with CFF and are doing a great job over at CA. And I have alot of respect for that.

And I support your choice in not watching the new show. That is everyone's perogative.

I disagree respectfully (and I definitely mean respectfully to you and every one who believes in protest). I don't believe in making the new BG our "final stand" pf protest.

There are several reasons for this. A major one is this isn't what Desanto or Larson are asking for. They never told us or even asked us to protest or even suggested it. And judging from what small incremental amount I know of them, its not what they WOULD ask for. They specifically said whether you watch or don't watch its up to you. They never had any complaints against anyone who would watch it. Or say that they are any less of a true fan if they watch the new show. They have always had a very down to earth view that its just a tv show. Even though they have gave us clues that this, personally, is not their cup of tea.

This is also a bad time. Larson and DeSanto are right now VERY VERY busy on other projects and are legally bound to them for some time to come. And I'm wary of who may do this if they can't. We were screwed before. Moore seemed like such a great choice at first. He was a scifi writer and producer. He had written many gloriously good trek episodes. But well...go figure... hindsight....And also I don't want someone like Frakkes to turn it into another Thunderbirds. So I'm a little worried about that. So the pickings seems murky.

So I'm waiting for DeSanto and Larson. And listening for their lead.

So if any BG78 wants to watch the new tv show, like Rowan, or Aaron, or Wimmer, you have my blessing and I'm happy for you. If you want to protest and not watch, you have my blessing too and support. Not that MY blessing counts, but I think its all part of a fanbase getting along and forming community. We respect the different choices we make. And rejoice in what we are given.

And besides. We ARE getting a continuation anyways no matter what happens with the new show or not. The old show is on her own course toward revival. The journey will take longer than just this year and the next. But she is coming. We just have to be patient and steady in our continued support.

With respect to all differeing opinions,

-Thomas7g

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Thumbs up

I agree, wholeheartedly, with the idea that the time of protest is long since past. For those of us to whom Battlestar Galactica is what was begun in 1978 - and only that - it is a waste of energy for us to continue to beat our breasts in righteous indignation. Our attention is now focused on positive efforts to bring about a continuation.

If things continue to work in our favor - I mean, look at the reaction we generated for the ads - then we do stand a very good chance of getting our continuation movie into production in a couple of years. I'm an optimist. I beleive it can happen. I believe that, eventually, it will happen.

But it's good for us, as fans, to be involved in something that just might help it along. It gives us something to do, rather than sit on our butts and wait. It helps keep us together. It helps keep us from each others' throats. And the efforts of CFF has helped all of us - whatever our views on the RDM series - come together and realize that regardless of how we feel there is common ground, and that has taught us not to lump the people into our dislike of one show or the other.

It also helps keep a BSG continuation on certain peoples' FRONT burner.

Remember what we were told at Galacticon - there needs to be fan support for a continuation feature film. That says to me visible fan support.

The CFF campaign may not be our true "last gasp" - there may be more the fans can do to help the process along - but perhaps we should treat it as if it is. Put our passion into it, what time and money we can realistically affort to invest, simply because we do want to see the old girl on the big screen.

Then, as preproduction kicks off and rumors leak out, we can debate them and question them as intently as we've ever done before - only this time with the realization that we won't know a lot - and the realization that we can trust these guys to (at the very least) keep the heart and soul of the Battlestar Galactica we love intact.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #7
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Thomas, I'd just like to point out I've ever used the word "protest" and the CFF campaign and my post has not got anything to do with the new show in any shape or form.

It's just a realisation that at this point in our lives that we're all getting older and with the new DVDs, toys, trading cards, and yes, the new show, it's time to strike while the iron's hot so to speak!

Best,

Peter
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #8
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

That's a good point.

It also goes to CFF most shining trait is that it by its nature garners support from BG fans in a cohesive constructive way. Its not a protest but a strong unification of fan support.

Frankly... we may need another one in a year.

Ya know, this has got me to thinking of this from DeSanto's perspective. Agreed I'm talking out my butt for even trying to speak for him, But if I was remaking Battlestar Galactica, and I was forced to leave the project and someoneelse threw away all my hard work and turned it to felgercarb...And I was helpless to stop it...And if the chance arose...I would be itching to get that puppy back and show what CAN be done. Of course I would have to complete my legal obligagations first. And that would take till 2006 at least. But damn I would be EAGER to do it.

If Tom was Tom. Which he is not. Well... not that Tom. Though all three Toms at Galacticon were about the same height....Not that makes a difference...

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #9
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
If Tom was Tom. Which he is not. Well... not that Tom. Though all three Toms at Galacticon were about the same height....Not that makes a difference...

You all were about the same height. :lol:

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
That's right, as soon as Battlestar Galactica went off air with the showing of The Hand of God on April 29, 1979, that's when our fandom started the campaign for a continuation of the original story.

We couldn't accept Galactica 1980 and we can't accept nuGalactica as neither one rings true to the original work has laid down by all those who gave Battlestar Galactica form.

Before Hatch, Larson, DeSanto, Singer, Hammer, Moore and Eick ever emerged to bring the concept back in some way it was we who stayed true and wrote those letters and signed peititions and waited.

We're still waiting.

Ours may be rag tag fandom of many differeing opinions, but we've all worked together by supporting the CFF to give it one last roll of the dice. It's the greatest thing we as fans have ever done.

Never think, that you don't matter, keep on supporting TOS in any form you can and stay true to what you've loved and supported for nearly 26 years.

I won't be watching nuGalactica, I'll not give them a ratings point, hell, they can stunt cast every TOS actor still breathing but it won't make me watch, because I know deep down that's the one thing TPTB fear, is that no one/or not enough people will watch.

I've drawn my line in the sand and with CFF I've helped make the strongest possible statement I as a consumer can make.

I'd urge every TOS fan to hold the line because united we stand, divided we fall.

Best,

Peter

Peter excellent post however one part is a bit waggly. A last roll. There is no such thing. I always like to believe there are possibilities. One hero was known for the impossible, Captain James Tiberius Kirk. They kept counting him out but he kept returning for one adventure after the other. What I am trying to say is that some journeys are never meant to end.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #11
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Nice sentiment, kingfish.

It's that type of optimism that has kept this 25-year love affair with that 1-season show alive!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Peter excellent post however one part is a bit waggly. A last roll. There is no such thing. I always like to believe there are possibilities. One hero was known for the impossible, Captain James Tiberius Kirk. They kept counting him out but he kept returning for one adventure after the other. What I am trying to say is that some journeys are never meant to end.

You do realize it was Ron Moore who wrote the script that killed off Kirk?

But you and BST are right. This isn't a last battle. Its just a good victory. But one victory does not mean the war is won. We are here for the long haul. CFF could be decisive. Or it may not. Or maaaaybe its already been decided to bring her back and we just haven't heard about it, and won't for a year or more. Cause it doesn't benefit them to announce until they are ready to get busy. But ya know, even if nothing visible has changed in the next year, I STILL will believe the revival is possible.

I'm not going to stop believing. The only thing that can stop us is if Larson or DeSanto decide to give up on her. Otherwise, every setback or obstacle is just damned annoying.

Old August 25th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #13
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble

We're still waiting.

Best,

Peter
very well said Peter thank you
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #14
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

I'm also one of those who won't be watching and my reasons are as follows.

I have recently seen the 2 hour mini that I had no interest in seeing but due to an online friend that liked it , I told him that I would give it a view. Out of respect for him, I did.

I totally respect the opinions of those that loved the mini but I found it very depressing. The original found a way to be up beat at a time when hardship was striking at full force . It had a mix of lows and highs and life isn't always down or up.

But that's just my opinion and it doesn't mean that I'm right or wrong. It just means that I don't find a show that depresses me, entertaining.
Plus it has always made sense to me that if something is loved by so many, You would try and add to it rather then redo it as something so different but under the same name.

But with that said, I hope all who watch Moore's version, enjoys it no mater how you feel.
The last 3 years have went by like lightning, so waiting a few more will be nothing. I only wish those who worked so hard for a continuation but are no longer with us, could have been around to see it happen when it does eventually happen.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #15
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwardaggit
I'm also one of those who won't be watching and my reasons are as follows.

I have recently seen the 2 hour mini that I had no interest in seeing but due to an online friend that liked it , I told him that I would give it a view. Out of respect for him, I did.

I totally respect the opinions of those that loved the mini but I found it very depressing. The original found a way to be up beat at a time when hardship was striking at full force . It had a mix of lows and highs and life isn't always down or up.

But that's just my opinion and it doesn't mean that I'm right or wrong. It just means that I don't find a show that depresses me, entertaining.
Plus it has always made sense to me that if something is loved by so many, You would try and add to it rather then redo it as something so different but under the same name.

But with that said, I hope all who watch Moore's version, enjoys it no mater how you feel.
The last 3 years have went by like lightning, so waiting a few more will be nothing. I only wish those who worked so hard for a continuation but are no longer with us, could have been around to see it happen when it does eventually happen.

OWD

Well said OWD
Old August 30th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #16
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Thank you very much my friend.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:21 AM   #17