Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

View Poll Results: I will watch the new 'Questor' series.
Yes! 8 66.67%
No! 1 8.33%
Actually, I'm not sure yet... 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:16 AM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Lightbulb OT - "Questor" returning after 30 years... by a former TNG producer

Back in the early 1970s, my father and I watched "The Questor Tapes" (TQT) television movie when it first aired. (And during an age without VCRs, I remember being excited when it eventually aired again.) Ironically, as I replace much of my VHS collection with DVD versions, I still keep my TQT VHS copy at the forefront. It's been a while since last viewing, but what wonderful memories it provides when I do watch it.

This was Gene Roddenberry's baby. It was a brilliant concept and superbly acted by Robert Foxworthy and Mike Farrell. I actually remember having the 1974 Lincoln Enterprises mailing with "Questor Tapes" merchandise mentioned, alongside the TOS items.

Anyways, I was thrilled to see this May 2, 2003 announcement:

http://www.startrek.com/news/news.asp?ID=128680

Among the quotes: "Herbert Wright, a producer and writer on Next Generation whose relationship with the Star Trek creator goes back to the 70's, has secured the rights from the Roddenberry family to finally bring Questor to fruition after 30 years. And he, along with his creative team, are currently engaged in reconceptualizing and contemporizing the project, while staying faithful to Roddenberry's original notes and the original pilot script written by him and Gene L. Coon. They could even go into production as early as this fall."

"Reconceptualizing" and "contemporizing." Those are two words which sound akin to the BG remake/reimagining which many have issues with. Those words made me pause when I saw them. Combine that with the fact that another ex-Trek producer is re-doing a prior science fiction property and you wonder what's next...

The more I read about the new "Questor," the less I worried.

The major differences here (as opposed to the BG remake), imho:

- "The Questor Tapes" is a 30 year old show which doesn't lend to using the same cast members in their roles, as opposed to a BG continuation, which continues a 25 year old saga and permits the originals in their roles. And unlike the remake, I believe an original cast member (like Foxworthy) will be a LOT more open to participating in a cameo role.

- "(...) staying faithful to Roddenberry's original notes and the original pilot script written by him and Gene L. Coon." (I guess this depends on your perspective.)

- The commentary that the Roddenberrys are involved; they've entrusted the property to Mr. Wright's team; and they (ie. a comment from Rod Roddenberry) support him "100%."

There isn't a large "Questor" fanbase, save those people like myself and others who remember the original television pilot episode. But Mr. Wright's team is honoring the original -- and enlisting the creator's family (the Roddenberrys).

It's possible that we'll see Mr. Larson (BG's "creator", executive producer, scriptwriter, co-composer) vocally supporting the BG remake series. Maybe so, maybe not. But it's nice to see the Roddenberrys taking a vocal, public interest in the new "Questor" series from the start.

That's something which the new BG remake hasn't had. Yet.

Bring on "Questor." I'll be watching.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:36 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I remember really liking Questor a loooong time ago. I remember enjoying it alot, but the memory has faded.

I remember basic parts of the plot, and I remember being awed by where his journey ended up (that giant cavern).

(now I wish I rememberd how it ended. )

The main qualms I would have is that this was originally a Universal project. And Universal which is owned by Vivendi, and Sci Fi which is also owned by Vivendi might somehow lead to Scifi getting some control over this.

And well... SciFi has very polished commercials, but really horrible scifi. And they kill off what you actually do like. The one saving grace is currently Stargate which was created on Showtime. And to a lesser extent Taken which was made by Speilberg. If Scifi woulda had a hand in creating those two they would have been pretty bad, you just know it.

And the rest of their schedule was pretty damn unappealing. Or was good but got canned anyways.

Scifi channel's programming division really has no idea how to appeal to scifi fans. I mean some of the infomercials are more entertaining than alot of their schedule. I'm serious.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #3
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I enjoyed it very much
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #4
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Robert Foxworth

Wasn't he the same actor who played on "Falcon Crest" for most of it's run? I believe it's Foxworth, not Foxworthy, as in Jeff Foxworthy, the comedian who does all those redneck jokes.

I wouldn't be too confident about "The Questor Tapes" keeping most of its' original ideas if it goes to series. Look what happened to "Andromeda" after Robert Hewitt Wolfe left, and "Earth: Final Conflict"? That show got to be dreadful, especially in its' final season.

Also, who's going to carry it? Will it be syndicated? There is no cable outlet currently available that caters to a science fiction audience (you know what I mean by that statement). Right now, the so-called SciFi Channel rejects projects because they are too "science-fictiony". Hopefully, a decent home will be found for TQT.
sdoziernc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #5
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

I think that I will more than likely give this one ago. I barely remember the original seventies film. Another this is I wish there was somewhere for me to be able to perchase a few of the old Roddenberry pilots. They used to be shown pretty frequently here in the UK on the BBC, and some of them were really good.

In fact considering a lot of the junk that we as TV Viewers have to wade through today. Roddenberrys work still stand out as the best when it comes to Sci Fi Entertainment. Only Three shows to my Knowladge have been as different and as thought provoking as a Roddenberry show and those were Farscape, B5 and the Original Battlestar Galactica.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #6
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default The Questor Tapes made The Scifi Wire

Questor Resurrected

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...05/14/10.00.tv

Star Trek: The Next Generation writer Herbert Wright has secured the rights to Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's proposed Questor TV series, about an android living among humans as a guardian angel, the official Trek Web site reported. The project was turned into a 1974 TV movie, The Questor Tapes, but never developed as a series.

Wright obtained the rights from the Roddenberry family and is currently engaged in reconceptualizing and contemporizing the project, based on Roddenberry's original notes and the original pilot script written by him and Gene L. Coon, the site reported. Wright is eyeing a possible fall production start. No distributor has been signed yet.

In the meantime, Wright is seeking Questor-related materials that fans may have in their collections, including unproduced scripts or story outlines.

The Questor Tapes aired on NBC in 1974, starring Robert Foxworth as the android Questor and Mike Farrell as his human confidant, Jerry Robinson, the site reported.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote