Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old August 7th, 2017, 04:53 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Default My Galactica, after ten yahrens from building her the first time

For the most part, my rebuild of my first ever CG model, the battlestar, Galactica, is done. It still doesn't hold up to Westy's build, but this is meant for quick render filming and animation.

But, I made a few more tweaks since my last post in another thread.... I think this can now qualify largely for the "Finished" section of the FAN CREATIVITY forum.

-Rounded out the auxiliary fuel tanks ('least, that's what I calls 'em) on the engine section.
-Added the broadside missile launchers on the flight pods.
-Improved the positioning of the engine glow so that it is seen from a wider angle.
Oh, and I took a liberty with the design, putting a floodlight on the nameplates of the flight pods. (The video game of Battlestar Galactica--PS2/Xbox-- did this in a different way many years ago, so the idea is not new. )

And for those who might remember, here was my first attempt at the Big G in Blender and iClone from 10+ yahrens ago:
Old August 7th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: My Galactica, after ten yahrens from building her the first time

Keep this up, and your name will be on movie credits in the not-too-distant future.
Looks terrific!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Thanks, Senmut. That is very kind.
The Cylon basestar is my next project, followed by the Colonial Viper and the Cylon Raider.
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

Any chance we might see Croad's fighter? Or maybe a few other Fleet ships?
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

I have entertained the idea of building a few other RTF ships.... Colonial Movers, the livery ship (film can ship), and the Agriculture ship. The other ships will likely be sort of generic in build, since they won't feature prominently in any shot. I sorta did it before for my BattleSTAR Galactica WARS video project (still in the works). I had made my own livery ship, and generic RTF background ships, but borrowed a Colonial Movers mesh, and the Agro One that had been built (IIRC) by Steve W (rest his soul). But, next time, I'm gonna build my own versions.
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

UPDATE:

My rebuild of the Cylon basestar is coming along even faster than I'd anticipated.

Whereas the Galactica is a construction of many different shapes that have to be extrudificated/greeblified (ain't I da' woidsmith? ), the basestar is a series of repeating shapes.... greeble/extrude one section, and then just duplicate that. I'm building this in a fraction of the time it took me to rebuild the Big G.
____
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

My Cylon basestar build.....needs a bit more tweaking....

Old August 9th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Here is a sample shot for one of my constantly "on-hold" projects:
BattleSTAR Galactica WARS

The story itself takes place during the time of "The Empire Strikes Back". Luke Skywalker and the Rebels have destroyed the Death Star, and Lord Darth Vader has amassed his starfleet to search them out.
In a remote part of the galaxy, the Imperial Star Destroyer, Irrefutable, has launched the last of the probe droids in its complement, carrying out their search for the elusive rebels. When a TIE Fighter patrol returns, they deliver a report that they have spotted a fleet of battered ships being led by, presumably, a capital class warship and its starfighters. The ships are unlike any they've seen.
Captain Raffor, after having viewed the lead TIE pilot's gun camera footage, orders his ship to head toward the last known position of this battered fleet.
On board the battlestar, Galactica, Commander Tigh and Colonel Apollo discuss the food and supply problems facing the fleet. Apollo is worried, but Tigh speaks of the blessings and luck that they have had to carry them through their yahrens long journey thus far. When they get to the bridge of the mighty and ancient warship, their scanners pick up a large ship trailing the fleet. Apollo orders the current Viper patrol to investigate. When the Viper pilots challenge the mysterious capital ship crawling up on the fleet, all hell is about to break loose.

I actually have the first forty minutes of this story down as an animated video....but since I have picked up some new abilities with modeling my ships, I am obviously going to do a reshoot. I still have to build the Colonial Viper, the Colonial shuttle, and some of the RTF ships.
Old August 10th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Slimmed down the basestar a bit.

Old August 11th, 2017, 03:14 AM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

This was an all-day/half-the-night project:
Built the Colonial Viper with working cockpit canopy...

Old August 16th, 2017, 03:29 AM   #11
FleetCon
Shuttle Pilot

Wow! These are amazing, martok2112! Keep up the great work!
FleetCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Thank you, FleetCon. Most kind.
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #13
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

My rebuild of the classic Cylon Raider:

Old September 29th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Tweaks on my Cylon basestar:
What I did for the laser and missile turrets on this ship was create a sphere and base greeble that was textured with an observatory.

Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:21 PM   #15
Senmut
Strike Leader

Be interesting to see a Raider up against a TIE fighter.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:27 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

That may be the subject of another BSGWars project, if I can finish the first one...hahaha.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 04:40 AM   #17
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

One more retweak of my Cylon basestar:

I think I got the dimensions a bit better now...and I added barrels to the turrets, as well as some lights.
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:23 AM   #18
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

A few more shots of some of my Galactica models.

In the lead are the Atlantia and the Galactica, behind them, although I don't recall the order, are the Columbia, Pacifica, Rycon, and Triton. (The Pegasus is off patrolling Molecay.)

And two or three shots of my launch tube set....this only took a couple of hours to build and texture....and actually, my process is to texture first, then cut out the shapes.

More in the works...hope ya' like.
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:01 PM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

My launch bay set for a classic Colonial battlestar:

This was about a half-day build...after building a launch tube, which itself only took about two hours.
Hope you like.
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #20
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

So the landing pontoon retains its same shape and dimensions. I simply raised the recovery bay so that it sat a deck above the launch tubes. The configuration makes more sense to me. A ship as colossal and advanced as a Colonial battlestar should be able to carry out recovery and launch operations in a tactical environment.

Also added my launch tube builds to some parts of the flight pontoons, so when I get down to more animating, I can do some dynamic Viper launches into space.
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

And here, for the most part, is my Viper cockpit set up. No, it's not terribly impressive....and I should've added some dimension to individual buttons and knobs and toggles....but the cockpit is going to be crowded with a pilot in it anyway, so I don't plan on doing too many interior cockpit shots.
The flight stick, I had a bit of a dilemma on.... do I want to make it look exactly like the old '78, 3 button flight stick, or do I want to make it look more advanced? I went with the latter, but I didn't want to make it look like a Saitek super future flight stick.... so I went with a middle ground. It adds a dpad and some hat switches, but still looks classic enough that it's not out of place or too far out of time with the look of the Viper itself.
This same flight stick I use on the helm station of my battlestar bridge build.