Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #1
Westy
Warrior

Default Galactica and Pegasus

did some recent work on my CGI model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pretty_3.jpg (800.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Pegasus_DualScreen_BG2.jpg (121.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Full4k_0.jpg (159.4 KB, 23 views)
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Galactica and Pegasus

Holy Frak!!!!!! fabulous!!!!!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:24 AM   #3
Qeutzal
Shuttle Pilot

WOW those are great, can't wait to see more.
Qeutzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

What's next? BaseShip? EA destroyer?
Croad's fighter?
Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:36 PM   #5
dah66
Warrior

Truly awesome!
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 07:42 PM   #6
137th Gebirg
That goofy Freemason dude

Beautiful work as usual, Westy - well done!
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 03:06 AM   #7
ulimann644
Captain Tar'Kyren Dheran

Wow - absolut fantastic work.

Forum:
Deutsches Babylon5 Forum
Homepage:
RED UNIVERSE
FanFiction-Pages (german):
STAR TREK - ICICLE
STAR TREK - BREAKABLE
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
What's next? BaseShip? EA destroyer?
Croad's fighter?
No, nothing else for me, just the Galactica. I won't stop until she's perfectly accurate....someday. The holy grail some people call it.
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Jubal
Warrior

Trying to get it down to the last pipe and canon eh?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #10
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Trying to get it down to the last pipe and canon eh?
Sure am! I'll get it there. I'm in the middle of accurizing the neck port and sb sides and bay fore, here's a wip shot of the new work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accurizing_wip_0.jpg (775.0 KB, 9 views)
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Senmut
Strike Leader

And any small variations can be put down to earlier refits and overhauls of the ship. It must have changed some, over 500 yahrens.
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #12
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
And any small variations can be put down to earlier refits and overhauls of the ship. It must have changed some, over 500 yahrens.
Yeah, we'll just say that! haha. That kind of brings up something I'm starting to worry a little about now...

I'm doing the best I can, but good actual reference photos of the genuine studio model are hard to come by, and the ones that exist always seem to miss or skip the same sections. So those areas are just decent approximations until better information comes along. I'm getting a little help from...certain experts too, which is great. But truth be told, while working on her is a lot of fun and all, it's becoming a pretty special thing now...and I've been thinking of ways to somehow make it some kind of BSG community effort, but our community, TOS...not the general public. It's getting rather large and incredibly complex...nurnies within nurnies within nurnies. I never expected it to develop this far when I started. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I just want her to fly again for us. There's some amazingly talented people kicking around here and other TOS forums/pages/sites etc...I think if the right people were involved, we could have our own unofficial but authentic Battlestar to play with. It'd also show some pretty solid commitment from the fans of the original for *our* Galactica to keep on keeping on if you know what I mean.

In other words HELP! No egos, but I need help with these ideas.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 02:29 AM   #13
Westy
Warrior

Massive new work in this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Landing_0.jpg (490.5 KB, 9 views)
Old July 22nd, 2017, 02:55 AM   #14
Westy
Warrior

And I'm done for a while with this area of the neck/head/bays/body, though I might improve the launch tubes, but this is enough for now. I just officially passed the 6.5 megapoly mark. uggg!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accurizing_wip_1.jpg (753.7 KB, 14 views)
Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:48 AM   #15
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Beautiful work!!
Old July 26th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #16
Westy
Warrior

Thanks. I'm messing around with the surfaces now...rust and grit...I'll post more later.
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #17
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Thanks. I'm messing around with the surfaces now...rust and grit...I'll post more later.
How would you get rust in space?
Old July 26th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #18
Westy
Warrior

beats me, but she looks way too new for a 400 year old ship. the surfaces need grit, dirt and whatever to age her. call it whatever you want, but i'm dirtying her up.
Old July 26th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Westy, that is one freaking GORGEOUS battlestar model! Very well done! My rebuild definitely looks amateurish compared to this, so hat's off to you, sir!
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #20
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Westy, that is one freaking GORGEOUS battlestar model! Very well done! My rebuild definitely looks amateurish compared to this, so hat's off to you, sir!
Thanks man, long time no talk btw. How've you been?
Old July 28th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #21
Westy
Warrior

Today's project, to turn the inaccurate old area in picture #2 that I did back in 2003 when I was dumb, into an accurate model of the first picture of the actual TOS studio model. The 3rd picture is where I'm currently at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hatch_1.jpg (262.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg July2817old.jpg (73.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg July2817.jpg (108.5 KB, 6 views)
Old July 28th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #22
Westy
Warrior

Done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July2817done.jpg (126.2 KB, 9 views)
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #23
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Thanks man, long time no talk btw. How've you been?
Hi, Westy.

I'm doing good. Still singing on Bourbon Street, still building CG models in my own way.

Right now, I am rebuilding my Galactica model...haven't touched it for 10 years at least. But it will still be nothing compared to the gorgeous model you've conjured up. Keep up the awesome work!

How are you?
Old July 30th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #24
Westy
Warrior

I'm doing ok too, thanks. Still holding out for a faithful remake or reboot....or whatever the current buzzword is now-a-days. That model is pretty much my hobby at this point, so thanks for the compliment.
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:52 AM   #25
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

And quite the hobby it is....your passion for it is defnitely shown.

Me, I'm holding out for whatever iteration a film version goes with (assuming a film version ever gets released.) Whether it's the Larson or Moore versions.... or something in between, or even something somewhat different.

I'll keep an open mind until I get information that tells me I should do otherwise. Right now, all info, to me, is just vaporware.
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:10 PM   #26
Westy
Warrior

Modeling it is relaxing for me, so that's a plus...sometimes I get burned out and put it away for months at a time...

To everyone: I've been toying with some ideas to get help on it...some kind of open source type thing. I don't know the best way to go about it, but something where you could pick an area and fix it up and accurize it. Think there would be any interest? I'm no profession modeler, and I've done the best I can, and when I learn something new, I use it for any new work I do from that point forward, and occasionally I go back and completely re-do an area so it's up to date. It's becoming mind bogglingly complex and there's just so much work still required, and I'd like this thing finished before I die lol. At the rate I'm going it'll be another 10 years and probably...10 or 15 million more polygons to really detail it. The model is 5 main submodels( head, neck, bays, etc), and each of those is submodeled into each and every geometric face comprising that subsection, so for example, bay_strut_1_underside_upper is an submodel...and there's dozens of things like that. Then finally you get to the actual nurnies, pipes, greebles, plate work...etc.
I'm only interested in true fans for this, not the general public...just us.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 11:03 PM   #27
Westy
Warrior

I was doing some radiosity renders. Figured I'd share 'em here...warts and all. There's so many blank areas still left to do! I kept turning on and off the grit stuff to see the difference. I like it mostly...but it needs tweaking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newrad_0.jpg (146.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_1.jpg (487.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_2.jpg (572.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_3.jpg (577.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_4.jpg (984.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_5.jpg (677.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_6.jpg (677.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_7.jpg (771.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg newrad_8.jpg (604.1 KB, 3 views)
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #28
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Just a beautiful.....frakking beautiful model, Westy! I love it!
Old August 5th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #29
Qeutzal
Shuttle Pilot

In the TV series we saw close ups of the laser turrets firing but never quit saw where they were located on the Galactica. Will you be adding some type of turrets or cannons on the Galactica?
Qeutzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #30
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeutzal View Post
In the TV series we saw close ups of the laser turrets firing but never quit saw where they were located on the Galactica. Will you be adding some type of turrets or cannons on the Galactica?
I keep it accurate to the studio model as much as possible. When I have to fudge something, I do the best I can with what I can make out in my reference photos. As far as adding stuff not seen on the TV/movie screen, there's really no need to. The Galactica has turretty/gun stuff all over it....alllll over it. I could go into the model and pick out hundreds of things that could be considered laser turrets, missile launchers, transmitters, etc. And actually, now that I think of it, in Saga of a Star World, they *did* show some actual laser bolts firing from the Atlantia/Galactica (wasn't really sure which one...probably Galactica, as Adama ordered all batteries to open fire). On the top of the neck section...there's nurnies from a battleship which includes some 5 inch gun turrets...that's where it was coming from...or from something really close to it, and like I said, there's nurnies all over her that are from ww2 bb's and whatnot.

I've toyed with the idea of modeling the laser turrets shown on screen, and putting them where I think they probably were. Still might, I mean, it *was* shown after all, it was just never really specified where they were. I wonder if anyone has already modeled it?

Last edited by Westy; August 6th, 2017 at 12:32 AM.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote