Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 9th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #1
reckless
Shuttle Pilot

Question Is this really the Moore script?

I've just read a copy of the "script" because I wanted to judge the revival for myself. As many of you know, I have never been a big fan of Richard Hatch's books and was a strong advocate for giving DeSanto and then Moore the benefit of the doubt. And while I began to have grave doubts about Moore's vision after reading the early character information, I wanted to make up my mind after looking at the script itself.

So can someone confirm that the script circulating is the actual Moore script and not somthing a fan concocted from what we already know? Here are a couple of lines of dialogue that I haven't seen discussed. Can someone who read the script before it was leaked publicly tell me if they are actually in the story? Some people might consider these spoilers, but I tried to select lines that don't give much away, but might be memorable. So can someone tell me if these four bits are part of the actual Moore script?

From Night One:

---------

KARA: Why can't we use starboard launch?

TYROL: It's a gift shop now.

KARA: Frak me.

---------

AND

---------

TIGH: Thought the Ragnar anchorage was scrapped.

ADAMA: Should've been. Budget cuts kept the Ministry from getting out there and taking it apart.

TIGH: Nice to see budget cuts helping for a change.

---------

From Night Two:

---------

BALTAR: This is insane. You're a machine, you can't have feelings.

NUMBER SIX: I'm a person. A woman. I have hopes, feelings, wants, desires...

BALTAR: No...

NUMBER SIX: And I want you to love me.

---------
AND

---------

BILLY: I do. You had a transcendent moment. It happens in literature all the time. People are suddenly swept into actions they never could've imagined.

LEE: We could pick a jump spot far enough outside the combat zone for--

DUALLA: You don't have a lot of experience with women do you?

TIGH: What the hell's outside the combat zone at this point?

BILLY: Not really, no.

Billy grins at her awkwardly and she wryly grins back, and suddenly everything is clear to Adama.

ADAMA: They better start having babies.

Tigh, Gaeta, and Lee look at him in surprise, then follow his gaze and note the quiet moment between Billy and Dualla happening across the room (and who are unaware of the attention).

TIGH: Is that an order?

---------

If this is the real Moore script, I have a lot more to say about it.

Reckless
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #2
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

Whether that's actual dialogue from the script or not, it's terrible. People say the dialogue from TOS was cheesy? I'll take the original stuff over this any day.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #3
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Does sound like a decoy-script. (I know it is not supposed to be, but I am feeling a little bit conspiratorial today.)
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Ravishol
Bad Email Address

Two Brain thinks it's a fake.

I have a hard time believing that Ron Moore could write somthing that bad. I then futher can't believe that people like it and defend it.

There are some good parts but as Filmjerk put it, they are few and far between.

I was one who believed that a remake could work but never believed Ron Moore was one who could do it.

It's been quiet on this board lately so I thought I would put in my 2 cents
Ravishol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

If you're finding it to be mind-numbing, um, that's what's been spread around as the real script. One could only hope they were conspiratorial and had devised a decoy: otherwise that starboard launch bay museum is just an appropriate epitaph.
*the mere thought of this thing calling itself BSG is enough to cause one a migraine*

What did you think of the end-over-end viper flip manuever? Just what I'd want to do: tumble a 30ft viper, end over end in a rock tunnel used for flight training. Between physics and clearances: does that work for anyone? And TOS had bad science?
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

A viper fliping end over end in 0g is more likely than a viper manuvering in space as if it is in an atmosphere.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #7
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default The script is real.

For the record: The BG remake script which seems to be circulating around IS the remake script. It isn't a phony. It's nearly identical to the one I was provided back in November 2001, save what I received was .rtf format (Rich Text Format) and the script floating around is .doc (M$ Word format).

And for the record, in case anyone's curious: I did not leak the script that's floating around. I am understandably curious who did -- and where they got it from.

Lastly, do note that there have been changes made to the script since that copy was submitted. Some of the reviews and fan feedback led to changes. Sadly, not enough changes, imho. Either Richard Hatch's or Tom DeSanto's efforts would have been vastly preferred.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #8
jewels

Colonial Fleets

The viper end-over-ending I'm thinking of occurs in a tunnel on an asteroid - basic physics says there would be some minimal influence of gravity. Bigger deal to me is the idea of such an uncontrolled manuver (no thruster use specified to adjust the free somersault, if you will) in the confined space of a rock tunnel. Just seeing the tyllium making a beautiful explosion out of the viper when it strikes a wall/ceiling or floor in my mind's eye.

Hito: what starfighter does proper manuvering in 0g? I am just not getting what is so terribly wrong with how they fly (yes I know the tri-engine needs other small thrusters to enable it to manuver, but I just don't follow how they should look)

Last edited by jewels; February 13th, 2003 at 09:04 AM..
Old February 13th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #9
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

THe starfuries, whitestars and the other ships in Babylon 5 manuvered about as realisticaly as i have seen in a science fiction show.
Old February 13th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #10
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I the ship is under power at the time of the flip it will actualy move in an arc, only unpowerd and coasting would it flip in place ala B5.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #11
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

That is how i'd imagined the manuver when i read it yeah
Old February 13th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #12
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I have to read that part again, I thought he only cut power to cause the flip. Momentum would still give an arc if I'm remembering the timing correctly. Again: my problem is clearance to flip a 30ft long ship in a tunnel that's meant to be flown straight through. Just doubt they'd have something more than 2x the clearance of the lower wingtip to top stabilizer if this tunnel was intended as a pilot's obstacle course. Does that make sense?
Old February 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #13
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Inerita would carry the ship forward
a blast of thrust from the jets in the front and back in opposite directions would cause it to flip end over end.

As for the width of the tunnle that is up to the CGI guys.