Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Olmos & McDonnell in Battlestar Galactica

Olmos & McDonnell in Battlestar Galactica
Sunday, March 2, 2003 11:21 CST

Edward James Olmos is in final negotiations and Oscar-nominated actress Mary McDonnell is set to star in Sci Fi Channel's four-hour miniseries Battlestar Galactica, says The Hollywood Reporter.

In the updated version of the 1970s sci-fi series, Olmos will portray Commander Adama, the role played by Lorne Greene in the original show. McDonnell will play the president of the futuristic society.

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/ar...6668900,17733,
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

James Olmos as Fleet Commander Adama Bwah hah ha hah hah ha haha ha ha. seriously though not funny? whats going on with Hollywood do they all need brain transplants or what!

When this nightmare ends call me. till then i don't want to know how they tear a TV classic apart thank you.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #3
Belloby
Bad Email Address

While I think the man is a great actor, nobody can take the place of Lorne Greene.

How the heck did they settle on Olmos?!
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Philloz

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
While I think the man is a great actor, nobody can take the place of Lorne Greene.

How the heck did they settle on Olmos?!

With Greene dead, they didn't have much choice but to recast ... I assume they wanted a respected, middle-aged man with "command authority," which Olmos certainly does have. I would like to see him try the role in *good* version of Galactica, but unfortunately ...
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #5
Belloby
Bad Email Address

There was another choice, make the character dead too. Give Colonel Tigh command, which he rightfully earned.
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #6
Philloz

Quote:
There was another choice, make the character dead too. Give Colonel Tigh command, which he rightfully earned.

I think a better dramatic choice would be to make Tigh President of the Council of Twelve, with Apollo as Commander. It would provide a greater opportunity for dramatic conflict, as Tigh would have to weigh his natural loyalty to the military against the demands placed on him by the civil government. Having to deal with Apollo and his tendency to tell the buriticians to go frak themselves would be another source of conflict.
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:

I would have loved to see Terry Carter in command of the Galactica. Colonel Tigh was one of the great characters that the show generated.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #8
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default McDonnell! Olmos? Terry Carter WOW but to good to be true......

Edward James Olmos hasn't been very busy his TV show "American Family" didn't do very well. I think 'Miami Vice' & 'Stand and Deliver' are his only stand out roles. http://us.imdb.com/Name?Olmos,+Edward+James

Mary McDonnell was a casting coup for Scifi, for an actress past 50 she is doing very good work, & not just in supporting roles but top-billing stuff. http://us.imdb.com/Name?McDonnell,+Mary

Terry Carter did 'Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming' but lives in Denmark. It sort of looks like he is semi-retired. http://us.imdb.com/Name?Carter,+Terry+(I)

Last edited by dvo47p; March 25th, 2003 at 06:34 PM..
Old March 25th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #9
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
I would have loved to see Terry Carter in command of the Galactica. Colonel Tigh was one of the great characters that the show generated.
Agreed. Terry Carter was a definite favorite here, too. I'm really disappointed that Mr. Carter wasn't included in 2nd Season plans, had they happened. The addition of a "cabin boy" was a ridiculous idea. Colonel Tigh complimented Commander Adama extremely well.

So did the rest of the Galactica family... Methinks we witnessed a VERY special chemistry between characters which is all-too-rare.

And Terry still looked strong, able and capable in "The Second Coming" trailer. It's really too bad that saxophone player (who played next door during filming) had to wash out much of the dialogue between him and Richard's Commander Apollo. grumble...

Imagine that: It's been almost five years since Richard filmed the first footage of the trailer... and people are still talking about it.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #10
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Re: People still talking about it:
Not to mention wishing he'd publish his schedule for the year so we can scope it out at a con even before LA. And many clamoring to have it released on the net. (if only there weren't lawyers, unions, rights issues, ect., ad nauseum, et all. It's his baby & I'm staying away from that one.)

Not many full length movies have that long a shelf life, though. Quality work lasts.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:30 AM   #11
Philloz

Default Re: McDonnell! Olmos? Terry Carter WOW but to good to be true......

Quote:
Originally posted by dvo47p
Edward James Olmos hasn't been very busy his TV show "American Family" didn't do very well. I think 'Miami Vice' & 'Stand and Deliver' are his only stand out roles.
He also did a remarkable job in "Selena" and "The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez"; of course, most sci-fi fans remember him for his small but enigmatic role as Gaff in "Blade Runner."

He's quite a good actor, but there aren't that many starring roles for middle-aged Latinos in Hollywood. Much of his work has never been seen outside of Latino film festivals.
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Foxy Brown

Terry had a small role in this movie that starred Pam Grier. Pam was also in a few episodes of Miami Vice. I also saw that he was listed in Galactica 1980.
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:42 AM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Question The Cabin Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries

Agreed. Terry Carter was a definite favorite here, too. I'm really disappointed that Mr. Carter wasn't included in 2nd Season plans, had they happened. The addition of a "cabin boy" was a ridiculous idea. Colonel Tigh complimented Commander Adama extremely well.

So did the rest of the Galactica family... Methinks we witnessed a VERY special chemistry between characters which is all-too-rare.

And Terry still looked strong, able and capable in "The Second Coming" trailer. It's really too bad that saxophone player (who played next door during filming) had to wash out much of the dialogue between him and Richard's Commander Apollo. grumble...

Imagine that: It's been almost five years since Richard filmed the first footage of the trailer... and people are still talking about it.

Michael
:colwar:
This seems like a bigger insult to the fans than Galactica 1980. Probably Hop-Sing in space.
Old March 26th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #14
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

It would have been interesting to have seen Troy and Capt. Kir'oss possibly butting heads if The Second Coming had been picked up as a pilot and ongoing series. I've seen the outtake on Athena Demos' site which featured Apollo testing out(I'm assuming) the new scarlett viper. Kir'oss asked whether Troy could handle the new viper. She didn't sound very confident about Troy's piloting abilities. Ah, what could've been. I sent an email to Athena Demos awhile back. Sounded like she had a blast working on the trailer.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #15
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries

...Colonel Tigh complimented Commander Adama extremely well.
Michael, I think their friendship was one of the most neglected part of the series. Carter and Greene were just wonderful together. They truly worked as a team and yet were still able to keep this very close and valuable friendship they had. I have always imagined their characters back at the Academy or on in their early days as Viper piolets raising all kinds of hell. I mean, they had to be the Starbuck and Apollo of their day.

I would've loved to have written those script for the show.
Old March 26th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #16
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Bojay on Athena Demos web site trailer out take.

Speaking of Athena Demos BSG:TSC out take also had Bojay, why remake a great show? Same reason a dog licks it's arse, because they can?

Quote:
Originally posted by captmiloman I've seen the outtake on Athena Demos' site which featured Apollo testing out(I'm assuming) the new scarlett viper. Kir'oss asked whether Troy could handle the new viper. She didn't sound very confident about Troy's piloting abilities. Ah, what could've been. I sent an email to Athena Demos awhile back. Sounded like she had a blast working on the trailer.
http://www.athenademos.tv/video.html