Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 20th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default MGM or Fox to do Larson’s Battlestar movie?

Reports that Glen A. Larson had sold the rights to a movie to MGM are erroneous.

It seems that Glen A Larson knows he is not a movie producer, sure he will have his name on the credits as an Executive Producer. Seems like Fox is also looking into doing a Battlestar movie, so MGM isn’t the only studio interested. If not the fanboy DeSanto, who else would be interested in doing this Phoenix?

The renewed interest in a Battlestar movie has very much been enhanced by The Scifi Channel’s mini’s success, as well as the very big and surprising DVD sales has put Glen A. Larson in the catbirds seat. Oh my, Universal Studios has got to be kicking themselves. "We let that Bonnie do what!"
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I have a strange feeling that DeSanto will not be part of the equation. Right now he is doing Transformers. Glen doesn't need him to do the movie since he bought the rights. 2005 seems like a long time to wait. Richard and Dirk aren't getting any younger. :sigh:
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #3
Corwwyn
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
I have a strange feeling that DeSanto will not be part of the equation. Right now he is doing Transformers. Glen doesn't need him to do the movie since he bought the rights. 2005 seems like a long time to wait. Richard and Dirk aren't getting any younger. :sigh:
Glen may nod need Tom to make a movie, but I think he needs Tom to make a successful, faithful movie.

To disregard such a huge talent (especially one with a keen interest in the material) who has a reputation for making it work and who's star is still rising.

And if he could also get Bryan Singer on board to direct (with Tom and Bryan's awesome synergy)...
Corwwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Westy
Warrior

Default Re: MGM or Fox to do Larson’s Battlestar movie?

Quote:
Originally posted by dvo47p "We let that Bonnie do what!"
If this is true, the mini will prove to be a blessing in disguise
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #5
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Quote:
Reports that Glen A. Larson had sold the rights to a movie to MGM are erroneous.
The reports are erroneous? Not the last time I heard... I'm just curious: Who's saying that it's erroneous?

Michael
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #6
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

I got the Fox might do a variation of Battlestar Galactica creator Glen A. Larson's TV series 'Battlestar Galactica' via a news item picked up via two http://www.google.com/newsalerts and a simular story in a NYTimes service analogous to the aforementioned mentioned Google service. All three where dated about the same time or prior to the Galacticon. The links to the story are for pay sites as is the archived Times story. I tried the to access all, so it’s of to the library come Monday, several of the librarians signed letters I mailed to TPTB. So I hope with their help to find that one in the NYTimes, when if found a photocopy is found, it will be in your inbox.

This was not a Singer/DeSanto memory lane, redux thing gone badly. Fox was interested in a 'Battlestar' project. This was in two different entertainment trade publications not a zine or a Peoria Gazette's movie handout/reprint section.

I hope you gentlemen have had a happy and merry Christmas as have I, so far.

EDIT "might be Erroneous would have been a better choice of words"

Last edited by dvo47p; December 25th, 2003 at 10:56 AM..
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #7
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

What if not Tom DeSanto, who else could helm a Battlestar movie?

Quote:
Originally posted by dvo47p It seems that Glen A Larson knows he is not a movie producer, sure he will have his name on the credits as an Executive Producer. So MGM is interested. If not the fanboy DeSanto, who else would be interested in doing this Phoenix*? The renewed interest in a Battlestar movie has very much been enhanced by The Scifi Channel’s mini’s success, as well as the very big and surprising DVD sales has put Glen A. Larson in the catbirds seat. Oh my, Universal Studios has got to be kicking themselves. "We let that Bonnie do what!"
So will any of this be on that Galacticon DVD I pre-ordered?

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
Pre-Galacticon, correct- No deal with MGM was in place yet.

POST-Galacticon is an entirely different story
Does Glen A. Larson have any words about his theatrical release stuff? Will it be called “Battlestar ‘?”.
So www.battlestarpegasus.com is back for it’s webmasters insightful vision or NEW news……..

*Phoenix is the Greek name given to a mythological science fiction show offered in sacrifice to the ratings God, foremost in avarice and materialism AKA Bonnie Hammer.
Old December 27th, 2003, 02:40 AM   #8
dru
Shuttle Pilot

Stargate

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
Pre-Galacticon, correct- No deal with MGM was in place yet.

POST-Galacticon is an entirely different story
But MGM is Universal. Do we *really* want Universal anywhere *near* a continuation? Sure it might make things simpler in that more situations and characters might be available for such a film project but we're talking Universal, here. Sigh...

FOX would be a nice fit.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:26 AM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

At the con, when Larson was speaking he made a point of saying how he wants to work with DeSanto. And he added "provided we can tear Tom AWAY from whatever projects he is working on..." Desanto for his part LOVES Galactica.

That's why we should probably be patient. This will happens in years, not months.

But I think it will happen. The guys have too much desire to do this. That's one reason why a successful series can help us. In about 2, 4, or more years, when Tom's schedule clears up, if there is alot of fan interest in the name, then we could get our movie.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote