Bad Email Address

Just goes to show, even SciFi does something right once in a while
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #3
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Now explain to me why they are even CONSIDERING to cancel this show! It is the best show on TV as far as I am concerned!

SG1
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I don't know why, but I do have a few ideas.

Like Star Trek Next Generation, every contract renewal the actors and production crew get alot more money. So it gets more expensive. That's why STNG went to movies so it could pay the higher wages.

or

Richard Dean Anderson co-produces the show. And he has in previous years expressed wanting to leave the show so he can be with his little girl in LA.

or Maybe scifi is being a stingy miser again and screwing the fans for a higher profit to cost ratio. They did it before with Farscape. Scifi is the station fans can't trust.

I don't know. But maybe one or more of those ideas are right.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerita
Now explain to me why they are even CONSIDERING to cancel this show! It is the best show on TV as far as I am concerned!

SG1
Here is an article from Gateworld.net, it features the Executive Producer Michael Greenburg.

Quote:
Stargate SG-1 can and should continue on to a ninth season, according to executive producer Michael Greenburg. In an interview with the new Stargate SG-1: The Official Magazine, Greenburg shares his opinion on whether the long-running series will run even longer.
"I personally think there is going to be a ninth year for Stargate SG-1 and a second year for Stargate Atlantis," Greenburg said. "The SCI FI network, MGM and their parent companies would be crazy to stop the franchise for short term financial reasons. The Stargate SG-1 brand has the potential to be bigger than Star Trek."

"Creatively there are so many storylines that we have going and so many unfinished parts that there's no way that we can finish them all by the end of this year," he added. "There's probably no way to finish them next year!"

But the big question about the show's future has always been whether actor Richard Dean Anderson ("Jack O'Neill") would continue -- that's his name over the title, after all. "It would be different," Greenburg said. "Richard Dean Anderson, aside from being a great actor, is a big star. A huge television star! It would be a big loss. But the Stargate SG-1 brand and franchise is obviously strong enough to get big numbers on its own. Stargate Atlantis is showing that."
SGA will probably go successfully on but there are several factors that may affect SG1. RDM participation is the big one. Amanda Tapping is pregnant, due on March 15th, and since she had 2 miscarraiges in the past 14 months, hopefully this one goes to full term and start the family they always wanted. Michael Shanks had a baby recently too.

Many SG1 fans admit that season 8 seems a bit stagnant so far, not as stimulating as season 7. One could say Amanda's pregnancy forced the writers to produce more episodes that don't require a lot of physical activity. So let's wait until the 2nd half of season 8 airs before making a judgement. SG1 usually saves the budget for the season ending climax episodes with a lot of action and sfx. There are some actors/actresses that had contracts for a season 9, but the franchise could move into the long rumored big screen SG1 movie projects. "The Lost City" episodes was to be the 1st movie, but as long as Sci-Fi keeps renewing the series, SG1 may run another season or 2 longer.

Personally I feel SG1 needs to add a 4th member, there's something missing (besides RDA). There are certainly characters from previous episodes/seasons that could be added to round out the team. A female jaffa might be an interesting addition, bringing back Jonas Quinn, Maybourne, Narim, etc could be considered. Ben Browder, once considered for the Pete part but turned it down, could be a nice addition to the team. Ben has the necessary humor and physical presence to replace RDM.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I kinda would like to see more of other SG teams. I personally immediately liked Adam Baldwin (Jayne from Firefly) as an SG leader. You could have more SG members as your basic foot soldiers. Then you could work in Teal'c, Dr Jackson, and Carter into the mission. And then Jack could do the same thing General Hammond did before him.

That waould be perfectly acceptble to this fan

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #7
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Big Grin

I think Richard leaving will affect somehow the series but I'm positive that the franchise is very solid and could come with something that will maintain it. I'm totally in favor of that, I will miss O'Neill but I love Stargate so much that I'm willing to continue seeing it no matter what. After all, I love Atlantis and O'Neill isn't in it.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM   #8
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
I don't know why, but I do have a few ideas.

Like Star Trek Next Generation, every contract renewal the actors and production crew get alot more money. So it gets more expensive. That's why STNG went to movies so it could pay the higher wages.
Man, I wish I got cost of living raises like that!....but I continue to work and do better every year with the same pay....If I worked on that show, I would be happy with getting the base salary and forgo raises to keep the show on the air...Can you imagine how many offers would come through when everyone learned that an actor would work for the base salary and never ask for an increase? They would have work all the time!...lol
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote