Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #1
jjrakman

Default 4 new clips of Moore-Ron at Comic Con

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/

O.K. so my prediction was partially correct:

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and prdict that we'll see a Katie Sackhoff quote posted in the news section on Skiffy, sometime this week.

http://www.cylon.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=786
First of all, let me state that anything coming directly from Sci Fi is highly suspect i.e. Hammer's assertion that they included the fans in online chats. Nuff' said.

Secondly watching the cast comment amongst themselves on the "fans" reactions at the con, kind of reminded me of watching the Iraqi Information Minister. It would have been a whole other matter entirely for them to show the actual Q & A which would have been enlightening to say the least. All they showed was the cast spouting their wisdom :turquoiserolleyes: without actually seeing reactions or question asking of the supposed fans. What they describe as interested reactions, quite honestly looked to me to be apathy from what they did show of the audience. Appropriate apathy. The fact that they only showed their own commentary on the Q & A, not really the interaction of the Q & A itself, speaks volumes.

Now, on to the meat of the propaganda before us. First of all Moore-Ron surmises that the con is a pretty good "barometer" as to what to expect from fans, as opposed to people on the internet. Let's explore this a little. Which would be a more representative barometer.

The Internet - People of all walks of life, from all over the world, interested in Battlestar Galactica.

San Diego Comic Con - First of all your pretty much limited to the population of San Diego with the few exceptions of people flying in from other areas to go to a Comic Con, Secondly it's a Comic Con. So your probably going to have people who are mostly Comic fans first, and Sci Fi fans second, Battlestar Galactica fans last.

Next the very fact that Moore spent his entire screen time on this propaganda film talking about:

Quote:
The Internet people which are very concentrated and very sort of, you know, in their own circle of friends who talk back and forth to each other
also speaks volumes. It speaks to the fact that before Mr. Olmos' coming out, they simply ignored us. Now, they are being forced to acknowledge us, and deal with us. It basically played out as to why people should not listen to the internet fans. It's an explanation as to why they are right, and we are wrong. Plain and simple. They're now constantly having to explain why the Internet fan's voice si not representative, or matters. Proof itself that it is, and it does.

I think Bamber hit the nail on the head with his statement when he said:

Quote:
The very difference between the Internet is it's very easy to get pent up about something when you have no dialogue with the people your actually talking about.
Although I disagree with his analogy to a car accident. I think it boils down to this. It's one thing to speak your honest mind about people who are 10 states away, or even half way around the world. It's another thing entirely to speak your honest thoughts to someone's face. I would have loved to have been there.

Of course watching Helfaer nod and shake her head in agreement to everything Moore and Bamber said was particularily entertaining, like watching Kelly Bundy. Until she spoke up with her enlightening remark:

Quote:
I had alot of the answers to their answers.
:lol:

Moore closed off in saying that

Quote:
The Battlestar specific community is quite small within the larger context.
I'm sure he's right. And when that "larger context" who made the Galactica DVD boxed set #219 out of the tens of thousands of products that Amazon sells, finds out the truth about the mini, what will happen then? Only time will tell.
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Sounds like the people on the Titanic, discussing ship safety measures. They just don't get it!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote