Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 28th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #1
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Exclamation For the Larson Supporters

For those "discussing" alternate universes that would
leave the original intact, you need to research your
facts. Also there are some Larson supporters stating
that since Ron Moore's script isn't a remake they
don't have a problem with it. Well, per Ron Moore the
Sci-fi Production of BSG is a REMAKE . Therefore
Moore' BSG is not an alternate universe. Moore's BSG
is meant to re-write the original, plain and simple.
Ron has stated that he wants to go back to the
beginning and tell the story from the start. That
doesn't mean he wants to create an alternative new
universe so Larson can have his own unharmed, it means
he wants to over write Larson's creation. Since it's a
remake Larson supporters should stand by what they've
stated and start protesting Ron's non-canon remake
because whether the mini is a success or not, it will
over write Larson and there won't be any chance for
any coninuation movie after that.

Everyone needs to realize that the alternate universe
"discussion" is as invalid as bsgbountyhunter's
"sidestory" disscusion and in my opinion implemented
for the same reasons. If you go ahead and waste your
time discussing or believing in an alternate universe,
then you're only helping Moore, CaptJames and his ilk.
That's how Moore's crew likes to play, they "imagine
and "pretend" with you all they want in order to
neutralize and betray you.

They have already did this to the rest of Galactica fandom during their so called joint letter writing campaign to preserve the original timeline.

Even though virtually every Larson supporter would rather have Moore's vision and Larson's vision on separate timelines, the heart of the matter is they already lied and betrayed three different camps ( Singer/DeSanto supporters, Hatch supporters and the legit remake supporters) within the Galactica fandom.

Who's to say that the Larson supporters won't be their next victims on the list?

I hope that Larson fans read the Q & A with Ron Moore at bsg.com to have a better understanding of what this remake represents.

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/d...ept2002qa.html

Ron: It's precisely because I was a fan of the old
show that I want to do a remake. I'd like to go back
to the beginning and tell the story from the start
because I think it's the best way to make a successful
series and the way that opens up the most creative
avenues to explore.

Q: What advantages does the reimagining have over a
continuation?

Ron: "...my pitch was to remake the series. Did I
think about doing a continuation? Sure, it was an
obvious (and creatively valid) idea, but in all
honesty it didn't interest me as a writer as much as
the possibilities inherent in going back to the
beginning and retelling the story from a fresh
perspective."

Q: Will this be more of a "remake" than a
"re-imagining"? Will it easilly fit into the existing
Galactica universe? Will fans be able to easilly
accept the new version as an extension, if not
continuation, of the original?

Ron: I'm not sure of the semantic difference you're
trying to make. It will follow the same basic plot as
the original with most of the original characters,
themes and settings.

Q: ...WHY is this production being called a
reimagining?

Ron: Personally, I call it a remake.

BTW Chris Larson says that the remake sucks

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #2
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

O U C H !
Old April 28th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Hey Scooter whats up? gotta PM you man, got something to share with you real soon.

Be around on CF during the weekend o.k.?

KJ
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:53 AM   #4
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

The 2 productions occupy 2 similar but entirely seperate stories realities.
Why is that such a hard concept to grsasp?

Especially since G:80 has been considered some kind of bad dream/alternate reality since for as long as i can remember.
There is absolutly no established cannon in either TOS or G:80 that proves that theory out, fans just accept it...

So just accept this as no more relevant than G:80
This airing of this production will not cause your memories of the original to be altered.
Universal will not be altering the footage of the original episodes to omit Dirk Benidict as starbuck.

The same way 2 or 3 diffrent versions of count of monti cristo, robin hood or the ring can exist side by side on the video store shelf Multiple versions of galactica can exist as well. And like those folms peole will prefer one version over the other.

If you want to see an actual for real rewriting of a franchise look to the StarWars films.
They are actualy being altered from there original form to incorporate new themes and ideas.
I's lucas' bebby and he can do it but that is a group of fans that has actualy had somthing taken away from them.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #5
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Hito, what it comes down to is your lucky if you can make that mistake once. Galactica 1980 was so bad and felt so rushed, it also had the reasoning of the time slot so fans and TV industry types could easily discount it as a non-event.

Twenty five years later you can't make that mistake a second time, when this mini-series fails convential wisdom will be "two out of three seasons" this concept is just crap.

Time, most Original series fans believe the best thing for the franchise is a mix of old and new...if it doesn't happen soon it'll be to late.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #6
Lusitan

Hito,

I confess i'm not very familiar with g80, but i do believe that, in g80, they never re-told the story from the begining, they never did sex changes, they never renamed key characters, they never changed one entire race's origins...
That is to me reason enough to be unable to place g2003 in an "alternate reality".

As for some Larson fans that recently returned to the boards, all i see is that they want revenge from whatever Hatch's fans did to them. nothing more. Like:"because of you we didn't get ours, so now you'll not get yours..."
From that recent poll, i see that there are alot of Larson, Hatch, DeSanto and Moore's fans, but there are also alot of Galactica fans, and there's where i decided to stay. I'm tired of all this fighting between fans.
Old January 9th, 2019, 09:47 PM   #7
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: For the Larson Supporters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Hito,

I confess i'm not very familiar with g80, but i do believe that, in g80, they never re-told the story from the begining, they never did sex changes, they never renamed key characters, they never changed one entire race's origins...
That is to me reason enough to be unable to place g2003 in an "alternate reality".

As for some Larson fans that recently returned to the boards, all i see is that they want revenge from whatever Hatch's fans did to them. nothing more. Like:"because of you we didn't get ours, so now you'll not get yours..."
From that recent poll, i see that there are alot of Larson, Hatch, DeSanto and Moore's fans, but there are also alot of Galactica fans, and there's where i decided to stay. I'm tired of all this fighting between fans.
As fans, we did not wish to fight. mefrely to have our feelings respected. Some of the characters in the original were almost like a sort of ersatz family, that we looked in on every Sunday night. Seeing them treated in such a fashion hurt. Kind of like having someone pour icky stuff all over your Grandma's picture.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
As fans, we did not wish to fight. mefrely to have our feelings respected. Some of the characters in the original were almost like a sort of ersatz family, that we looked in on every Sunday night. Seeing them treated in such a fashion hurt. Kind of like having someone pour icky stuff all over your Grandma's picture.
I like (and concur) with this post very much. I remember when Richard started showing his trailer on the Sci-Fi Con circuit in 1998 and how thrilling it was to see it in-person on two separate occasions at local cons. I later read via different internet sites about how Glen Larson, who actually owned the film rights to BG, was working to make the on-again, off-again Battlestar Pegasus movie, and then even later, being so very excited about the Singer/DeSanto production. In fact, a local con coincided with the announced Fox production and featured guests Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, and Herb Jefferson. Herb and Dirk opened a panel to a standing room audience (probably 200+ people in a relatively small room) and answered as many questions as they could regarding the new DeSanto series and their roles, and then Richard came in and showed his trailer.

After that, when the Singer/DeSanto production fell behind due to 9-1-1 and then later was cancelled and the reimagined mini-series was announced for Sci-Fi, my interest has waned considerably. This forum has really been the only outlet, other than a few (emphasis on few) bones thrown at the original fans by Dynamite comics and watching the original series on DVD...
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Ever check out the VS?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote