Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 30th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default "Good News" - Religion

Religion and Politics - 2 of the most divisive issues amongst us.

Well, let's see if we can turn the tables a bit.

I'm asking for folks to submit stories where folks, in the spirit and in the name of their Religion, have done things for the betterment of society.

These stories can be from any jurisdiction - national, state/provincial, county, or city/town/village.

Let's see what GOOD NEWS we can spread.

The prize - a warm heart.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #2
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I organized a group from my church to clean up part of the river that flows thru the town park system once. Does that count?
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammerdriver
I organized a group from my church to clean up part of the river that flows thru the town park system once. Does that count?

It most certainly does!!
Sleep now
They are calling

Old June 16th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Breea
Bad Email Address

How about a large group of little ones in a choir..the youngest is 3 and when they all get together and siing Jesus loves me..I'm a goner..that my childrens choir..we have 15 of them...they meet during the school year.
Breea
Breea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #5
gmd3d
Major

I don't know if this counts ..but here is my story.

When I was younger I knew this fella he was as tough as nails and would not let anyone cross him without a fight. Now this guy was tough and I mean tough and he was a friend to me and and very few others. (He found keeping friends hard, no points for uncovering why) well we all hung around together Basically up to no good
and we were all little hard men. each of us had heads full of felgercarb and no brains which is a common problem today

On one fine evening doing what felgercarb for brains nomally do we stumbled on a school bus full of special need kids with the local Nuns looking after them. (Both of us knew these Nuns from school and that only when we went!!) . Well while the Nuns where preparing a Disco (the populer thing at the time here) for the kids we noticed the a few of the other local hard men where wondering by and while they did not see us they began to shout insults and upseting the young boys and girls to a point where tears started to flow.

I felt a little sickened at the site of these idots upsetting the kids but before I moved to say anything my tough as nails friend move forward and stood along side the kids with his hands folded across this chest no lie (he must have seen Superman the night before) and told the Idots to get lost.

Well after a few minutes of us explaning the concepts of getting lost to these idots and in not in so many words they left and we were about to move off when One of the Nuns thank us for helping and Invited us to join the Disco.

We neither of us like to dance (well we never went to a disco's anyway) said no but thanks.. the Kids insisted that we came in and joined them. We gave in as said we stay for a few minutes.

We ended us staying most of the evening dancing and having a great time, I had never seen my friend like this before (He had a lot of problem's that I would learn about years later) .

Well to cut this shot he and I where changed boys then as we went to that same disco for the entire summer helping out. I will say this hard tough friend found something that surpried me to. He found God or the sprit of God or just plain goodness in those Special Needs kids, he was a changed person even to this day he is a devoted helper of Children with needs. He drives the bus for them to and from the school and at time to a Disco.

He is still as tough as nails and has few friend from the old days to talk too (most of them ended up in jail or dead from drugs) But he has the undivided love from all of those kids that he sees everyday.

That is my fondest memory of that friend He fell at time we all do but as long as you brush yourself off and get up and walk again. Well you know the rest.

Sorry for this been so long

Taranis

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #6
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Wow, Taranis, that is a wonderful story! We all need to see the good in people and how God is present in all of us...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Taranis,

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old June 17th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #8
Fragmentary

That is a great story, Taranis. It really means a lot to me for personal reasons. Thanks for sharing.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #9
sropi

This could be long, so be warned!
My mother knows this elderly lady from the school she had practice-teaching at after graduating. This lady has a kind of weekend house where she does summer camp for children with special needs and orphans. So 3 years ago, it came to a point where it really needed to be repaired. So my father, my brother and I packed the tools and went there and did it.
Last year I mentioned this in the Christian Students group I'm in, and since then, the lady has every help she needs ini summer, making that little time even more memorable to those children.
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #10
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary
That is a great story, Taranis. It really means a lot to me for personal reasons. Thanks for sharing.

No problem Fragmentary. I am glad you found something in it.

Old June 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #11
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by sropi
This could be long, so be warned!
My mother knows this elderly lady from the school she had practice-teaching at after graduating. This lady has a kind of weekend house where she does summer camp for children with special needs and orphans. So 3 years ago, it came to a point where it really needed to be repaired. So my father, my brother and I packed the tools and went there and did it.
Last year I mentioned this in the Christian Students group I'm in, and since then, the lady has every help she needs ini summer, making that little time even more memorable to those children.
Its nice to find that there is charity and common decent hard working people in the world willing to give put their time for others. Thanks for sharing