Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 6th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Living Legend Question

This is for whoever has and can look back at an original broadcast tape or an "air-check" from the 1st broadcast of the Living Legend (Dec, 1978, unless I am really mistaken)

Was the scene where Cain describes Cassie & Sheba edited into the right place on the original broadcast? On the telemovies & the syndicated versions it occurs after Cain returns Apollo & Starbuck to Galactica, while Cain should be on Galactica. However, it should have been part of the scene where Apollo & Starbuck meet Cain on the Pegasus for the 1st time, earlier in the episode.

Any thoughts??
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Artemis
Warrior

You know that always bothered me too. I don't think it was in the right place to start with but until I get around to fixing my Beta I can't check the tape. I know in the early reruns, during the 1980s, it wasn't right.
Old March 6th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

It's definitely in the wrong place, except for in Mission Glactica: The Cylon Attack!

Regards,

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Rats, A reason to visit ebay again. Peter: you are so bad for me!! That's not the one spliced with Fire in space is it?
J.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #5
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Rats, A reason to visit ebay again. Peter: you are so bad for me!! That's not the one spliced with Fire in space is it?
J.
Correct, you get a jewels.

Peter
Old March 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #6
KJ
Strike Leader

Does anyone think with the series coming out on DVD this year (if ever) they will finally FIX all the editing mistakes, or will all the errors be in there for us to look at over and over. And more importantly, will all the episodes be uncut with everything thrown back in!

Much as i like the pilot Saga of a Starworld. I know every scene which had stuff removed or shorten with all the glaringly obvious cuts made due to the editing of the time. With DVD mastering i hope they put all that digital technology to good use!
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #7
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Editing mistakes were made left and right because of the huge amounts of time it took to add special effects. I believe the scene you are talking about is supposed to take place on the Galactica and not on the Pegasus (but they showed the wrong launch bay prior to the scene).
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #8
Philloz

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kingjason
Much as i like the pilot Saga of a Starworld. I know every scene which had stuff removed or shorten with all the glaringly obvious cuts made due to the editing of the time. With DVD mastering i hope they put all that digital technology to good use!
According to what little pre-relesae info there is, the DVD set should have the original TV version of the pilot that was shown on ABC Sept. 17, 1978. However, even this version could be considered "incomplete," as the shorter theatrical cut (originally shown in Canadian theaters but then later releaseed to U.S. screens; it is the version currently on DVD) had some footage either cut or different from the TV broadcast (the most notable scene being Baltar's execution). John Larocque's classic article on all the differences between various versions of the pilot can be found here:

http://www.chrispappas.com/archives/bgdiff.html
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #9
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Does anyone agree that these cut scenes should stay in "Saga of a Star World"? The scenes I'm talking about are:

- Athena in the warrior's quarters telling Starbuck she didn't want to see him anymore. (shown in original run)

-Serena's detailed report of the peace celebration (prior to the Cylon attack on Caprica) (shown in original run)

- Adama drinking in his quarters while Athena tries to comfort him.

- Apollo yelling at Adama to stop being depressed and do something because the people need a leader.

- Colonel Tigh talking in detail with Adama about the connection between the Ovions and the Cylons.

When watching SOSW with these scenes added, you get a whole different perspective on the movie.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #10
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
Editing mistakes were made left and right because of the huge amounts of time it took to add special effects. I believe the scene you are talking about is supposed to take place on the Galactica and not on the Pegasus (but they showed the wrong launch bay prior to the scene).
They make you believe the scene is taking place on the Galactica when it should be taking place on the Pegasus because the room is decorated with things that Cain would not have taken on a short visit over to the Galactica. It should have been placed before the Pegasus reunites with the Galactica.
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #11
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Absolutely, they provided much of the detail that some say was lacking in the original pilot. I think they are critical to the pilot.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Living Legend Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloby View Post
Does anyone agree that these cut scenes should stay in "Saga of a Star World"? The scenes I'm talking about are:

- Athena in the warrior's quarters telling Starbuck she didn't want to see him anymore. (shown in original run)

-Serena's detailed report of the peace celebration (prior to the Cylon attack on Caprica) (shown in original run)

- Adama drinking in his quarters while Athena tries to comfort him.

- Apollo yelling at Adama to stop being depressed and do something because the people need a leader.

- Colonel Tigh talking in detail with Adama about the connection between the Ovions and the Cylons.

When watching SOSW with these scenes added, you get a whole different perspective on the movie.

Agreed. They should be there. Once more, the NitJerk suits work their evil magic, and cut without thought.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Agreed. They should be there. Once more, the NitJerk suits work their evil magic, and cut without thought.
Yep. Sanitize & dumb down.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Senmut
Strike Leader

Obviously, minions of Iblis.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote