Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default The craft of telling a good story

It's what compels us to read or watch a book or movie over and over. It draws us in to another world and gives us characters which "become real" because they are worth caring about.

*JMS did it with Babylon 5
*JRR Tolkien & Peter Jackson did it with Lord of the Rings
*George Lucas' original Star Wars trilogy did it
*Don Bellasario did it with Quantum Leap (& still does with JAG in a more "today" world)
*I suspect Frank Herbert's Dune is in this class
and Anne M's Dragonriders
*Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series
*CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and Space Trilogy did it

*TOS BSG had it's moments as it started to hit it's stride:
Living Legend, War of the Gods, and the Hand of God (when everything clicked, love that episode!)

But I find this craftsmanship lacking in the M/E miniseries and that is the sorriest crime of all. No reason whatsoever to watch it.

Yet, completely ignorant of the Xmen, I can go into Tom & Bryan's work and become completely enthralled and entertained. I care about Jane Grey, Rogue, Wolverine, Cyclops, Prof. X, Nightcrawler, Storm. It is nothing short of magic. The magic of a well and thoroughly crafted story. And the message is so strong without ever being stated: differences don't make us bad, they are gifts that make us stronger when used for others' good.

And this is much deeper than being a colonial purist, Mr. Olmos. It has to do with respecting the lore that made the story so compelling in the first place. You see the quest for Earth cannot be based on a lie.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll make sure everyone I know is aware that the Moore Galactica is a sham, a case of bait and switch. As phony as "Husker's" lie about Earth.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #2
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

I totally agree with you, 100% Jewels.

Preach on, lady! Preach on!

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

And it made it through the Skiffy censors!!! WooHoo!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote