Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 28th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #91
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
The band is here and ready to play. It shows the love for TOS is alive and well
Great to see some of the old horses back on the track

Absolutely agreed, sir.

The way we've been treated by the media and by the Ginoids reminds me of Stallone in some of the "Rocky" movies. We've got our share of bumps and bruises but, guess what -- it's the 15th round and we're still standing!!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #92
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

If this turns out to be true, I can see a huge movement of support
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #93
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

I feel a post-athon coming on.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #94
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwardaggit View Post
I feel a post-athon coming on.

OWD
Lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #95
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I am in
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #96
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
The band is here and ready to play. It shows the love for TOS is alive and well
Great to see some of the old horses back on the track

I think this says it well!

Even though we have been marginalized by many, this fanbase is still buzzing with life after 30 years, and even the slightest of chances that we may get to see the Ol'Girl on the big screen has brought us out of the wood works!

I sincerely doubt that another show [cough, cough], will have similar longevity.

I think that's a true testament to the original BSG!

Malkyte
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #97
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Malkyte
Very nice
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #98
JSC1
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!

You sir had better PM me your phone number.

I'll call you next week.

All my best,

Russell
Get it quick. It may not be up for long.

It appeared before and was taken down. It's up again, so either watch it or download it quickly.

I've been posting my thoughts on this at the Tombs of Kobol board. I'm going into this with reservations. Meaning if the rug is pulled out I won't be too dissapointed.

Still I can't help but talk about it.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #99
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC1 View Post
Get it quick. It may not be up for long.

It appeared before and was taken down. It's up again, so either watch it or download it quickly.
I was able to save the trailer on my hard drive the last time it was on You Tube. There was no telling if it would ever be seen again and I had to wait nearly 10 years to see it as it was.

There are free programs out there to save YouTube content to your PC. I'll be darned if I remember what I used though.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #100
JSC1
Warrior

Can you burn it onto a DVD disk and mail it to me? Can anyone?

I can PM my mailing address if need be.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #101
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

"..and there will be Battlestar Galactica series and rumors of Battlestar Galactica movies.."

Last one to the party I see. Any updates on the rumors/news?

I'm so behind the curve I only just stumbled on the hub-bub over the re-posting of some old Dirk Benedict article that set me to ranting about: Dirk Benedict Strikes Back!
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #102
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Is that your article?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #103
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Is that your article?
If you're referring to the bit in quotes above, no, that's just me trying to be funny replying to the rumours in this thread. Perhaps I should have put a smiley at the end of that Bible paraphase. Sorry about that.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM   #104
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
"..and there will be Battlestar Galactica series and rumors of Battlestar Galactica movies.."

Last one to the party I see. Any updates on the rumors/news?

I'm so behind the curve I only just stumbled on the hub-bub over the re-posting of some old Dirk Benedict article that set me to ranting about: Dirk Benedict Strikes Back!
Oh look....another long lost colonial brother returning to the "fleet"...! Welcome back KP!

This really is quite a bit of fun seeing all these people that wandered off over the years. It's one of the bright spots in my day whenever I see someone from days gone by check in to see what's up?

KP - No more official updates or news articles as yet, but as soon as there is something, I'm sure it'll show up here when it happens.

Nice to see you again!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM   #105
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I think the fact that so many of us did wander off over the last couple years is ultimately the saddest comment on what that other program did to the sense of community that existed in Galactica fandom for so many years before. When I signed up to my first Galactica forum, a mailing list, in 1997 I was struck by how friendly the atmosphere was, and how unlike many other lists I belonged to that degenerated into flame-wars and bad feelings (and I'm not talking about political boards) there was never a cross word or bit of nastiness in the Galactica realm. That was also true of other places I became part of as well.

And then....well, I shouldn't go further perhaps but that close-knit spirit was suddenly gone, just as the sense of "Battlestar Galactica" representing our own niche of the sci-fi realm was gone too. It was a lot easier for me at least, to confine myself more to specialized lists dealing with fanfic writing because there wasn't much else to say about the show itself at this point in this changed atmopshere.

But of course, if a new project finally does come for us, and our Joblike patience is finally rewarded with something that tries tell "The rest of the story" (to appropriately borrow a phrase from the great Paul Harvey, who passed away yesterday at age 90), that I'm sure will go a long ways toward bringing many of us back and renewing our enthusiasm to talk about the show in all its facets again.

For now though, I am staying cautious, willing to allow myself a little more hope to temper me from being too cynical than I might have in the past, but not letting us get carried away in the absence of hard facts to go on.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:03 PM   #106
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Honestly, now that many of us seem to be coming back, maybe we should do something with he potential renewed energy.

What that course of action should be is anyone's guess.

Maybe an open letter to Larson / DeSanto / The-Powers-That-Be letting them know what we're hoping for? Something that gives them an idea what we're really looking for in a new GINO-free Galactica?

I mean, What is it that we all want? A Continuation? A Re-Boot?

I think we all here have a fairly decent idea of what we don't want to see. That's pretty obvious by the re-emergence of the Old Guard.

I hope all that makes sense.

It's just a feeling, but someting about this latest "rumour" seems different. Maybe mre legit, or maybe I'm just so sick and tired of the "Milty" types sniveling and chest pounding about how the RDM thing is the best thing ever put on film.

Whatever it is, I've got a sense of urgency about this, but I'll be damned if I've got an idea where to direct my fire with it.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM   #107
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Whoa, welcome back to all!

Great to see you guys coming back.

Old March 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM   #108
jjrakman

If a Continuation hits the silver screen I will post a live webcast of myself eating corn flakes in the nude.
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM   #109
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman View Post
If a Continuation hits the silver screen I will post a live webcast of myself eating corn flakes in the nude.
I'd rather you didn't...

And they say that watching television is bad for the brain!

Old March 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM   #110
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:

I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks. Maybe I'd better talk to him about getting therapy.. just in case.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM   #111
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Maybe you should do it while watching that other show's dvd's
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #112
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I agree that harnessing this renewed sense of direction would be great. I know at the end of the day it is a lot of effort without much to show for in return. God knows we've all thrown our time, money, and devotion behind this.

I'm trying to get some people together as a sort of promotional team to go out to events in costume and spread the word. I think the biggest bummer is that so many Galactica events go without original series representation anymore. Today there was a small convention in San Diego where most of a panel on "Battlestar Galactica" was devoted to bashing on the original series.

I hate to sound melodramatic, but they're literally declaring superiority and supremacy.

John (The Klingon General here) and I actually tracked some of them down face to face to discuss this (not in a threatening way) and they back pedaled in the face of original series fans. I know not everyone would be into it, and I know a lot of you deserve a break after all the efforts you've put in over the years. I'd just like to represent the REAL Galactica in some capacity with fellow fans.

I'm all for another post card campaign. I'm not sure how much good they do but it can't hurt. Are the Colonial Fan Force post cards still available at Cafe Press?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:23 AM   #113
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Regarding the bashing of the original series, ...

Who are we defending against?

I mention this because I think its important to put this sort of thing in context. If the Internet is any example, GINO seems to be primarily supported by people who liked how it bashed George Bush. Almost all of its fans now complain about the shoddy writing and poorly developed storylines, ... much of the same as many of us noted from the start. As time goes by, the special effects will cease to be the latest and greatest (as with all Sci-Fi shows on television) and its "newness" will fade in light of other series.

GINO will take its proper place in the history of Sci-Fi, whatever that place will be, good or bad, without any prodding from us.

If people want to act like jerks and rip apart the old series to try to make their preference look better, all they do is demonstrate that they're jerks. I think most people are smart enough to see that.

Based on my experiences, I think people are also smart enough to see and appreciate good things when they encounter them. Those that have watched the original series with me have recognized its charm. Those I know who followed GINO pretty quickly caught its political bias and attempts to appear more sophisticated than it actually was.

Give this five years and everything will be in its proper place. I've said this since S1 of GINO and I still contend it today. I don't think any of us are well served to get into a TOS vs. GINO competition with anyone, not that I don't think we can make a good arguement but because I don't think our appreciation of the original series will be in any way improved by such a dispute.

... just as I don't think the GINO crowd wins over many converts by bashing the old series.

Russell
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM   #114
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
If people want to act like jerks and rip apart the old series to try to make their preference look better, all they do is demonstrate that they're jerks. I think most people are smart enough to see that.
Agreed. It's also been said that if the only way your product can look good is by tearing apart or putting down the competition then, your product must not be very good.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM   #115
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Agreed Russell.

We need to present what we're FOR, and what we WANT, rather than focusing on what we're AGAINST, and what we DO NOT WANT.

The political elements aside, one thing that needs stressing is that while Battlestar began in the 70's, we are NOT trying to bring back the disco hair, and the limitations the time period presented (ie "ships on a stick" FX, ect) That seems to be a big arguing point that has been used ad nauseum by the "Milties".

We need to be able to sum up, in ways the "Suits" and the Milty-types can understand what that "something" is that we're pushing for, that is lacking in GINO.

Gods I hope that makes sense, I haven't had my coffee yet.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM   #116
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Hell, I just be happy sending a message of support to Glen Larson, letting him know that there's still interest in a film project based on the original series. I tend to shy away from saying "what we want" though. True, it does make a statement in and of itself, but from the receiving end, it might feel like "this is all we'll accept" (no "what we don't want" statement necessary).

I'm pleased that someone out there hasn't forgotten the orignal series and all the folks that enjoyed it for what it was and what it might become in the future. While there might be some money to be made on such a concept, it's still of interest to someone like me that will gladly pay to sit back and enjoy it.

Bryan

Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #117
LordStarFyre
Warrior

You make a good point on the "what we want" part. I agree that might come across as a demand, and that isn't, nor should it be, anything like that. I do think we need to clarify, at least amongst ourselves, what it is we want from Galactica. What is it that we hope to see, at least in general terms. What elements make Battlestar Galactica something that we want to support (Heroism, Duty, ???, etc.) That was one serious problem before, was while we "supported" bringing Galactica back, oft times we got bogged down in the factions, and what got left behind was a cohesive "statement of mission". That left us open to attack from the RDM Zealots to dive in with the "You just want the 70s hair and disco" argument".

I guess what I'm suggesting is that, to a degree, we need to find a common ground of what we want to support, and a common way to communicate it.

We do need to let them (ie Larson/DeSanto/Universal/etc) know that there is a contingent out here that is behind them, ready willing and able to support their efforts.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #118
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Just as an addendum to what I said.

As an example, what I'd really like to see is not only a Continuation Movie, (ala the DeSanto version, or BSG-TSC), but I'd LOVE to see Larson/DeSanto/et al flesh out the Colonial History, The beginnings of the Cylon war (the TOS, version, NOT the RDM version) The flight from Kobol (BEFORE the Colonies) The origins of the Battlestars (use the original designs of the Battlestar).

Granted, I realize that what I've suggested would require a series of movies (or New Series???)

I really want to see the "Chariots of the Gods" elements, I REALLY want the "There are those who Believe" narrative.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #119
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I agree, it is better to focus on what we want rather than what we are against. Let them look like fools. I was more talking about a general lack of representation for the original series in most situation that could use it these days. Now, that doesn't mean I don't think we should be fighting for something, just that what you everyone is talking about here is very constructive. Fight to get this thing made, the rest is inconsequential!

Sorry to give a wrong impression. It did get my Irish up hearing them all bash TOS. Had to vent to the only people who would understand!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM   #120
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I'm with Monolith here, we do need to let ourselves be known again. there was a time, back before GINO that every Fan of Galactica was very loudly making it know we were not ready to lie down and die. We wanted more, and we wanted to ignore G80 and follow our heros till the found Earth.

Then with the sucess of GINO (like it or not, it is a popular show that can be called a success) some of us did stop making it known that we wanted the REAL galactica and crew back. Myself included. I refocused on other SciFi likes and whatnot.

But we are at another Crossroads. We need to make our voices heard again. Mr Larson is developing this movie. The movie could lead to a series of TV movies, or like the Star Trek Franchise in the 80's a series of movies. or Lords be with us, a new weekly series. but we should not demand anything, just let people know there is more stories to be had with the original crew.

Yes, we want to get rid of the stock footage Viper battles, and the obvious sticks holding the models. We don't want to grow out our hair again (or in my case grow my hair lol) We know there has to be updates to the storyline (more serious stories) and to the crew, there needs to be that new generation.

the time is now for a concerted effort to make it known we have not surrendered, that we haven't given up. e are here and we are a large enough group to make a continuation viable (that's the bottom line, making money to the studios)

As Monolith said, we are trying to organize the costumers out ther into a group similar to the 501st Legion in Star Wars. in it's 10 (now 11) years of costuming, the 501st has had such an impact on Star wars that George Lucas himself has allowed it to become part of canon. Books, comics and Video Games all name the 501st Legion now.

We need to do this. Now costuming is not for everyone. but as an entire group, we can make our message come across strong!

It's got to be a positive messag and it's got to be clear. (but not demanding) Fans can make adifference, we're the ones who will pay to see the movie, Watch the TV movies or series, and bring the ratings.

I think a card campaign is a good start. one that ASKS for a continuation. States that a core fandom continues to exist and we are willing to live in peace with GINO (even if that means accepting the NuBSG way of referring to it)

this is just my $.02.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote