Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 12th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #1
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Galactican boots

I watched Mad Max yesterday. They had boots that looked like those worn on TOS. Midi or Sidi was the label on the boots. I found it amusing that Mad Max had a character called Starbuck! Does anybody know where to find those boots or what they're called? Iseem to remember a link to somewhere that had details on the whole uniform...
CB
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #2
gunnerk19
Bad Email Address

The boots in Mad Max were old (alpinestar) "Hi Point" motocross boots, while the original BSG boots were Sidi "Full Bore" motocross boots from the 70's; Every once in a while you can catch a pair on ebay, but those are few and far between. I've seen on another site someone selling a pair in size 10 for $400! I want a pair bad, but not THAT bad...

There are some really good photos of them at
www.classicboots.com, great for reference work...

Last edited by gunnerk19; January 12th, 2004 at 02:43 PM..
gunnerk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #3
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Another link:
http://motorcowboy.zoovy.com/product/B1

Just FYI:

Ever watch Underworld? Kate Beckinsale looks like she is wearing colonial style boots.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I like the mad max boots better ........ I think I'd
break my nails trying to do all those buckles that they
have on your site Sci Fi! Thanks for posting the link!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #5
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

I recommend motorcowboy.com. I just got my anakin style boots from him and they are sooooooo comfortable!!!
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #6
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Thanks for the info...

But what's the difference between the alpinestar and the full bore? Can you tell I don't do any bike riding, watching? They look pretty similar for the brief time those Sidi boots were on screen on Mad Max.
CB
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #7
radama
Shuttle Pilot

Biggest difference between the Alpinestars and the SIDI is the shin plate on the Alpinestars.As for what the real "Galactica" boots looked like, go here.http://www.classicboots.com/moto/fullbore.htmAnd For those looking for boots go here.
http://motonation.com/itemdetail.asp...pid=251&rdir=1
It's been pointed out ot me that they are not exact(six buckles instead of seven,two rows of black binding at top instead of one)but if you ask me,for those who have been looking for "Galactica" style boots they sure come close.
radama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #8
gunnerk19
Bad Email Address

Those new Sidi's are pretty close, despite being one buckle short... However, if you painted the underside clasps brown to blend with a brown dyed boot, it'd pass fairly well...
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #9
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Great links radama thanks for posting.
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #10
Dogface

There comes a time when one just has to bit the bullet and say "I'm a reservist, we didn't get standard-issue boots but had to use an old design from surplus." As long as one doesn't deviate grossly from the design, most people will get the joke and not demand that one document the specific page of specific script in which "reservists" were mentioned...

It's a great way to explain a lot of costume parts that aren't quite up to the needlepickiest of needlepicky, threadcounty standards.
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #11
gunnerk19
Bad Email Address

Dogface has a point...

I noticed it today while watching "Fire in space"... In the rejuvination center during the fire, some of the extras had boots with the old prong thru the strap hole, whereas in the same scene, Boomer had the Hero boots on... The reservist/old issue boot could work well.

Never thunk of that before... Thanks Dogface!
Old January 17th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #12
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think the old reservist boot could work as well.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:05 PM   #13
Dogface

Quote:
Originally posted by gunnerk19
Dogface has a point...

I noticed it today while watching "Fire in space"... In the rejuvination center during the fire, some of the extras had boots with the old prong thru the strap hole, whereas in the same scene, Boomer had the Hero boots on... The reservist/old issue boot could work well.

Never thunk of that before... Thanks Dogface!
It is a "rag-tag fleet", after all.

I like to apply the model of the mid-American Revolution (that's "unfortunate disagreement" for you UK readers) Continental Army. Yes, there were quite a few regulars with government issue around, but there were also some who still were getting their uniform bit by bit and used what they could find.

(Now, a Galactica "Green Mountain Boys" would look interesting...)
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #14
Aeneas
Warrior

Or, maybe different units with different supply lines...
I know it was like that when I was in the Air Force. Often, a new guy transferring in from a different base still had some of his old gear(boots, gunbelt, etc.) and (unless it was an inspection year), the supply guys would let him keep using it to save the new stuff for the newer kids coming out of Basic/Tech School.

I mean they did pick up a few guys from the Colonies/Fleet/Pegasus.