Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 29th, 2021, 05:18 PM   #61
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: BG-02: Lost Planet Of The Gods

Watched the DVD of parts 1 & 2 ( yet again) while studying the minutiae in the course of writing a fanfic. Because Gundy does her homework diligently, even at this old age.

Random musings:

Lucifer's gold boots bring to mind "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys". Which is a totally freaking groovy tune at 2am, in the dark, with a mellow buzz. I recommend Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized" in equal measure.

Adama was weaponed up on Kobol - nice to see Ben Cartwright wearing his sidearm.

You have to watch extremely closely, but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) Maren was wearing an ankle bracelet in the money shot of the female Viper pilots in the pressure suits.

Baltar: "I have been to the Cylon seat of power. It is in chaos". I love that line, but it also sounds like "a" Cylon seat of power versus "the". Cannot discern.

"Lieutenant, you obviously can't even stand". "The Viper is flown from the seated position, sir". Warriors - 'nuff said.

When I watched this on television at the tender age of 15, I was in love with Apollo & Serina being in love. Then Serina died and I bawled my eyes out. I still bawl my eyes out every time. Apollo's complete helplessness in having to let her go, literally shattered, then having to instantly man up to be strong for Boxey. Brutal, that. I'm bearing my soul on that one, folks.

This is in my top 5 favorite episodes.
Gundark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 06:27 PM   #62
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundark View Post
When I watched this on television at the tender age of 15, I was in love with Apollo & Serina being in love. Then Serina died and I bawled my eyes out. I still bawl my eyes out every time. Apollo's complete helplessness in having to let her go, literally shattered, then having to instantly man up to be strong for Boxey. Brutal, that. I'm bearing my soul on that one, folks.

We're very fortunate Jane Seymour gave in and agreed to come back for one more episode. The way she was supposed to be killed off in Saga, where she would die from radiation sickness and we would see her at the end of the episode quietly leave the room to go off to die and leaving Boxey with Apollo would have been far less effective than having Apollo and Serina become married and providing a more definitive bond to each other that makes Apollo's subsequent raising of Boxey have a valid context.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 04:20 AM   #63
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

I've watched the deleted scenes where they filmed the part of Serina receiving the news about her illness from the Galactica's doctor. It did not resonate with me whatsoever and I'm glad they did not pursue that angle of her death. Being shot by a Cylon, when they were nearly making good their escape from Kobol makes far more of a statement than having her fade away from what I deduced to be pluton poisoning - yes ? It wasn't mentioned by name, but that was my assumption. Since Boxey wasn't "eating", he did not get sick.

Thoughts ?
Gundark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2021, 06:18 PM   #64
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I'm in complete agreement that the "Serina dying" subplot doesn't come off convincingly in terms of the footage that is available to us in the supplements. In fairness, this may not have been the only footage shot of that subplot. But overall, I don't think it was coming off as particularly well-executed.

The footage that does survive does at least show why John Fink as Dr. Paye had such prominent billing in the pilot yet in the final cut is only on-screen for about fifteen seconds! (when he treats Cassie's broken arm).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote