"Stunning"

there I said it

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #92
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Yet Another TOS Battlestar WIP

Great to see this is still being worked on. This thing still knocks my socks off when I see it.
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #93
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Nice update, found these ref images sometime back. Hope it will help you.

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=4124

http://www.resinilluminati.com/attac...5&d=1208745093

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co.../tam35297d.jpg

Jim

Last edited by dilbertman; November 28th, 2010 at 05:55 PM..
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #94
maudib
Warrior

I'm using the pics from the modelermagic website, didn't know about the resin illumanati pics. Thanks for any good reference material For any new viewers to this thread... my goals for this build were not to be dogmatically fussy in duplicating the original studio model. My build differs in the "filler" greebles used. However, I have tried to maintain the overall layout and proportions from close scrutiny of the reference images. As for the asymmetry of the original, I am making only 1/2 of the model along the lengthwise axis, then mirror imaging the mesh to complete the other half. That means I only have to build 1/2 the model! Saves huge amounts of time to complete the build.

Last edited by maudib; November 29th, 2010 at 11:15 PM..
maudib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #95
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I think it makes perfect sense to vary from the studio modeld on the smaller greebles. You are working at a much finer scale than the physical model was intended for. What I like is that at far and medium distances (like the original was filmed at) you cant really tell any differences on your model vs the studiomodel. But if you zoomed in on the studio model very much (especially now days with high definition) you'd see glue spots, and plastic parts that didnt fit the hull exactly, all sorts of UNWANTED details. The fine scale of your greebles would easily allow camera zooms starting at extreme distance and moving all the way into people in the windows or individual hatches.
Dont get me wrong, I have total respect for physical models, but there are some things they just cant do. To try and duplicate them TOO closely would cause the CGI model to inherit the same limitations.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #96
Matador
Viper Pilot

Your detail work is awesome...

Are all the components created seperatly then attached. Or are you molding that into your model as one piece.

I've been trying to figure out if I want to mold the componenets into the model or create them seperatly, then just attach them.

The benefits to attaching them, is that, say I wanted to animate an explosion, I can have the components, like the water tank looking things, fly off. Or have damaged pipes and so on.

Either way, your work looks awesome...
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #97
maudib
Warrior

I work in Lightwave 3D. I use both techniques depending on the situation. The small greebles are modeled separately and simply applied. Welding them on to the hull increases the poly count dramatically. The hull platings are welded to the basic shape since there is no poly penalty for not doing so, and rounding the edges requires a completely enclosed shape for the Rounder app to work. Rounding all the edges consumes 80 percent of my time.

I have done explosions in Lightwave 3D using both welded and non-welded meshes. It's a big job either way to create a broken mesh ( you have to build 2 meshes) to use in the explosion sequence where various parts are flying away leaving the damaged surface exposed.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:54 AM   #98
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudib View Post
I'm using the pics from the modelermagic website, didn't know about the resin illumanati pics. Thanks for any good reference material For any new viewers to this thread... my goals for this build were not to be dogmatically fussy in duplicating the original studio model. My build differs in the "filler" greebles used. However, I have tried to maintain the overall layout and proportions from close scrutiny of the reference images. As for the asymmetry of the original, I am making only 1/2 of the model along the lengthwise axis, then mirror imaging the mesh to complete the other half. That means I only have to build 1/2 the model! Saves huge amounts of time to complete the build.
Excellent approach and keep up the good work!
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #99
Promethius3d
Bad Email Address

Nice detail work. Keep it up.
Promethius3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #100
maudib
Warrior

Update 12-6-10

I changed some of the greebles and started adding the pipes. Starting to look like something...

Old December 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #101
Matador
Viper Pilot

So beautiful. Nice work... I'm jealous.
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #102
maudib
Warrior

Update 12-11-10

This module greeble is complete. Next are the details in the cove area. Cheers...

Old December 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #103
Matador
Viper Pilot

Awesome work... Is this what the one on the original looked like or did you come up with just putting stuff in the greeble?

I've always had a hard time trying to figure out were I should put things like you have in your greeble. I think it's because I'm used to working on engines and I'm always trying to place things in a way that it looks functional, but then I think I'm spending way too much time on that.

I suppose I should just start looking at pictures from oil factories or jet engines... That will probably be a better Idea.

Old December 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #104
maudib
Warrior

Thanks for the compliments. Here's a comparison photo showing the real model on top and my render on the bottom. I picture explains my modeling approach better than I could in words...

The overall shape and large greebles are modeled faithfully from the original to keep the part visually familiar, but the little "filler" details are just added by me to create lots of light and dark shadows and shapes to add complexity. This fools your mind into thinking the image is more interesting because it's more complex.

Notice the size of the pipes... the original is much larger in diameter than my model. I chose to make it smaller because it looks less cumbersome and awkward to me when added to the overall model. The original is much larger because of the physical limitations in working/gluing on tiny plastic piping by hand on the studio model. The larger pipe size also distracts your eye from focusing too much on any smaller area in particular, so the builder can get away with adding less detail, which is much harder on a physical model than with CGI meshes. I have to add in more detail than the original to compensate for the smaller pipes, or the whole greeble looks rather "empty".

So that in a nut shell is my approach to doing BSG models. Doing something like the Serenity firefly ship, or Trek models is a very different "look".
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #105
gmd3d
Major

good idea ..... nice work

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #106
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I think its its a great idea to deviate from the physical model on these small details. The problem with the studio model is that if you zoom in close enough it looks like its
*made out of plastic model kit parts*. Your 3d model does not suffer from that limitation.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #107
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
I think its its a great idea to deviate from the physical model on these small details. The problem with the studio model is that if you zoom in close enough it looks like its
*made out of plastic model kit parts*. Your 3d model does not suffer from that limitation.
I agree ..... give parts reasons and design functions if possible. the Big G is in my top 5 designs from scifi.

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #108
Arkadios
Just Lost My Cherry!

Wow, your model is absolutely stunning!

I love your attention to detail, and the renders are so good they make me want to cry. I can't wait to see more.
Amazing work!

It looks as if I could reach out and touch it.
Arkadios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #109
gmd3d
Major

Arkadios first let me welcome you aboard and second your absolutely right. it is good.

there is another one by Folkrm that is really worth the look too.. but this is unique as its been built with a different intent not coping the original one exactly

Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #110
maudib
Warrior

Update 12-23-2010

A good, fun day's work. Coming along nicely!

Old December 24th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #111
Arkadios
Just Lost My Cherry!

Very Impressive.

For large detailed parts of the model that are curved to the hull, do you model them on a flat surface and then curve them to fit?
Arkadios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #112
Matador
Viper Pilot

Awesome Work.
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #113
maudib
Warrior

Hello,

The parts needing to be fitted to the hull surface are modeled by cutting out the portion of the hull surface where the greeble will sit. Then a basic block is extruded upwards at right angles to provide the starting shape to create the greeble.

For pipes, I use Lightwave's "spline draw" function by precisely placing points above the hull surface. The function then creates an accurately drawn spline curve defined by those points. Then I create a disc in another layer and position it at the end of the line. Finally, I use the "rail extrude" function to extrude the disc into a pipe defined by the path of the spline curve. The result is a perfectly fitted pipe.

Fitting a mesh to another mesh is far more difficult and time consuming, resulting in distortions of the original mesh. Some greebles are fitted manually in areas where the bends are very small and not noticeable.

[Edit] 12-24-10: 1 more greeble added today!

I hope all this helps. Cheers...

Last edited by maudib; December 24th, 2010 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: adding current wip pic 12-24-10
Old December 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #114
maudib
Warrior

Update 12-25-10

I Wasn't happy with the triangle greeble on top, it looked too plain. So I added more details than the original had. Now it looks much better! A second smaller greeble at lower left finally connects with the older top one done last year.

Old December 26th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #115
maudib
Warrior

Update 12-26-10

Several pipes and 3 more greebles added today. Lightwave crashed ruining 2 hour of work Nvidia's 64 bit Open GL drivers doesn't work very well with my video card and crashes constantly. I usually save my work with every step, but forgot this time.

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #116
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

To use a phrase from DUNE: Kull Wahad! (I am profoundly stirred.)
Muad'dib, that is an awesome looking model. Incredible detail and greebling! I hope to get THAT good someday. Keep it up!
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #117
Matador
Viper Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudib View Post
Update 12-26-10

Lightwave crashed ruining 2 hour of work Nvidia's 64 bit Open GL drivers doesn't work very well with my video card and crashes constantly.
I feel your pain... I started having similar issue with Max... I had to cut down on my greebles because my system was starting to do the same thing.

Awesome work.
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #118
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Its not just your system, I think they mostly all do it. Most of us use our computers for a lot of stuff and have a lot of programs installed. I try to wipe my system at least once a year and re-format and install everything. Once I get a clean system running again I find I have a lot fewer crashes for a while.
I have learned to enable the autosave feature and have it set at 10 minutes with a 10 save pipeline. Frequently in a bad crash the last autosave may be corrupt, but I dont get much done in 20 minutes, so its usually not much of a loss.
I use Max but surely LW has a similar autosave feature?
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #119
Matador
Viper Pilot

Yes, the autosave feature is very nice... I'm a max user myself and that has come in very handy.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #120
maudib
Warrior

Thanks, I did activate the autosave feature after I posted. It was bothering me by making Lightwave sluggish while I was trying to work. Not anymore! It's not Lightwave that is crashing, but Open GL as it tries to draw millions of polys in real time as I manipulate the mesh in 3D as I model. when I make too many clicks and movements too fast, the app crashes. I think I need more graphics memory than my current card ( and old EVGA GX2 with 1024mb) to handle manipulating the increasing number of polys on screen as my build progresses.

I should start to break up the mesh into much smaller modules by now as I intended, but I am just too lazy! Also, I like to see how the new greebles "look" against the background of the surrounding structure while working. It helps me to decide on the overall size and detail to add.

Well, it's been a nice 5 day holiday, back to work