Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old February 11th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Alaric
Bad Email Address

Default Blasts from the past...

Being a relatively young guy, most of my childhood is defined by the 90's. I grew up in what I now look back and call "The Golden Age of Disney". In my youth (We're talking from ages 5 to 14 here, people) Disney put out movies such as The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and television shows like Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, and Chip n' Dales' Rescue Rangers. These shows were the fabric of my childhood.

Coming into college, I hadn't seen any of these movies or TV shows in at least 8 years. We have a program called Direct Connect that is used campus wide to share files (I'll let you decide the definition of "sharing files"), meaning 40,000 people are on swapping stuff.

On a recent nostalgia trip, a few of my friend and I decided to find The Little Mermaid and watch it one night. We played the movie, and suddenly the spark of childhood came back. Since that night, I've found every movie and show that Disney put out in the 90's. It's kind of scary. Instead of going to the movies with my friends, I've stayed in my room playing Disney music and watching Disney programs. (With intermittent spurts of nuBSG, of course.)

Nostalgia is a scary thing.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Rowan
On Vacation...

Being a relatively young guy, most of my childhood is defined by the 90's. THUD!!
Since that night, I've found every movie and show that Disney put out in the 90's. It's kind of scary. Instead of going to the movies with my friends, I've stayed in my room playing Disney music and watching Disney programs. it's all that subliminal messaging within their programming...you will be assimilated!! (With intermittent spurts of nuBSG, of course.)
My suggestion (speaking from the perspective of age and cough cough wisdom ) is if you want to have something to get nostalgic over in a few decades stop watching stuff and get out there and participate in college life !! ((((Alaric)))))

Nostalgia is a scary thing. Yes that is is!! look at us old fogies!! still reminiscing about a show 27 years gone!! LOL!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #3
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan

Nostalgia is a scary thing. Yes that is is!! look at us old fogies!! still reminiscing about a show 27 years gone!! LOL!

I have underwear older than some of the folks here.

When they come out with a better show, then maybe we will have something newer to to talk about...... NAW!
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Helo
On Vacation...

I used to love watching Ducktales, and Tailspin, and other Disney cartoons. I see some of the cartoons today, and get sick quick!

I see shows today, that I thought were so cool when I was younger, and am surprised at how unbeleivably cheesey they are. A-Team, MacGyver, Knight Rider, Airwolf... I love them all, but watching or remembering them now, and just the way they were filmed, and bad 80's music (no offense ) that just makes the shows so laughable.

That's the good thing about military type shows. They seem to hold up better over time, because much of what the military was 20 years ago, will be the same 20 years from now.
Helo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #5
Senmut
Strike Leader

I used to watch Disney's Wonderful World Of Color every Sunday, followed by Bonanza. You young whippersnapper!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #6
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I"m still trying to find Tales of the Gold Monkey reruns!!!! For those too young to remember, it was on back in 1982-3...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #7
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I grew up on The Wonderful World of Disney, Hee Haw, and Lawrence Welk.

That might explain a few things.....

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #8
Trotsky
Shuttle Pilot

The wave of '80s nostalgia that spawned the video game plug 'n plays and other 8 Bit Nintendo swag, along with others things has really taken me back. I played Super Mario Brothers again for the first time a month ago. Let me tell you, that brings back the memories.
The whole VH1 I Love the... series was good for this too, especially the 90s, thats when I went to College and "grew up" so to speak.
Trotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #9
TopGun
Strike Leader

I prefered the 80's, for its Catoons