Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 31st, 2005, 12:31 AM   #91
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Well our show had something Nu Galactica will never have a momentous occassion. If you watched the show is interrupted for the signing of the Camp David Peace Accord between Israel and Egypt. Both Sadat and Beagin[sp] made speeches. A historic occassion if there was ever one.
That's a pretty cool piece of Trivia!
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #92
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
I'm 39 at the moment and TNS leaves me frustrated. The characters aren't people I can care about yet, the story line isn't practical in places. (Ep. 3 if Roslin and Adama are upset about Lee's arrangement with Zarek, we're supposed to believe that they will sit by on the decision of a mere Captain and not go back on his agreement? Roslin's countermanded Adama a few times already, and she won't step up to a Captain? Huh?
Also, Baltar needs locked up in a looney bin and not wandering free. He's more than just an eccentric, and I don't at all buy that the others only see him as eccentric.

The "cylons were created by man" line, is my departure point for it being "Battlestar Galactica". It would be sort of like making a movie about War of the Worlds without the Martian's invasion of earth.

This is an excellent point from jewels. I'm 38; I was 10 when I saw Star Wars IN THE THEATER 3 times, and 11 when Battlestar was out; saw every episode on Sunday nights. Per my post elsewhere about finally watching TNS for the Richard Hatch appearance in the "Bastille Day" episode, the new show leaves me high and dry and not wanting to come back and tune in next week; from the profanity, to the sexual overtones and violence, and shallow (in my opinion) acting, the show holds nothing for me.

It has the Battlestar name to try to sell the product, which bears no resemblence to TOS at all for me. My wife, who watched the new show with me (detailed elsewhere in this forum), said that if it was not named Battlestar Galactica, she would not have thought it, other than they used the name "Adama." No Cylons (other than humanoid.....those aren't Cylons in my "Battlestar world) in the episode I watched.

I enjoy older television; the plots, for the most part, were better, and the writing was much better, especially comedies and comedic timing. There is a reason that the older shows are being released to DVD and selling very well (Barney Miller, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, etc.) and the popularity of the reunion shows. People want to see more television like they grew up with (at least if you are around my age or older), and tune in less to what's on now.....
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote