Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old March 12th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #151
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21
I've never heard that Richard didn't like the show...where did you get that antelope? I've met the man a few times now and seen his presentations at Comic Con and he's quite passionate about BSG. He's also one of the most approachable people you'll ever meet. I mean it seems unlikely that the person you described would write books, fund his own trailer, and attend as many conventions as Richard Hatch does. I think you're way off base here and maybe even a bit out of line. I don't mean to come down on ya man, but Richard has done more for BSG than just about anyone.

Also, I think it's important throgh all of these "Star Wars" comparisons to point out that anything beyond the look of BSG being similar is kind of a moot point. Larson had the idea for BSG as far back as the 60's. Star Wars just cleared the way. Not to many networks were going for Sci Fi programming back then. I guess I'm missing the whole point here...

What is the point? Do similarities cheapen the original or somehow elevate the mini? Is this a "Why Battlestar Galactica sucks" conversation? It seems that people are really tearing each other down with little or no reason. We're fans aren't we? If not...why come here?

-Mark
Mark welcome to the fleet. Thank you for posting your thoughts.
I really appreciate the people who've actually met Richard Hatch
posting here.

Again Mark ........thank you for posting.
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #152
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyImmortal
OK, let me give my opinion on Richard here.

I think he's fantastic. And no, I'm not a personal friend of his either.

I've seen Richard (counts mentally) at three different conventions now. Two Dragoncons and at Galaticon. He was nothing but nice, graceful (funny!) and kind. There were two times he was very nice to me, personally.

The first time I went to Dragoncon I had one hell of a day with flights. My flight leaving from Chicago got cancelled (without any notice to me, btw and no, there was no weather - at all). It took me six hours to get to Atlanta when it should have only taken two at the most.

I got to the convention about fifteen minutes before the Exhibition Hall closed - but I HAD to meet Richard. It took me all fifteen minutes to find his booth and he was VERY nice to me. He signed a book, some pictures, and got the organizers of the convention to give him an extra five minutes with me - simply because I'd had a very bad day already and he wanted to make it better. I went to ALL of his talks - this was before he thought of doing his own trailer, in fact (but the first book was out).

Everytime I went by his booth he was nice to me, especially. Considerate. Not at all what I consider to be 'starlike'. He was very much 'just a guy'.

I met him the next year too - this was the year of the 20th Reunion and he was only there for two days but those were two great days. (Oh at Dragoncon - I couldn't go to the 20th). I was at the mall across from the convention getting lunch with my friends (there were six of us) and we met him there. He talked to us - he remembered me from the year before. He was nice again, took pictures (teased me horribly, lol - and jokingly called me his 'Stalker').

Everytime I met him then he was gracious. I KNOW when he had his first panel that he was completely blown away by the fact that it was standing room only... you could see it on his face that he was shocked there were so many people there...

Everything he's done he's done for us. His fans. Sure he might get something out of in the end but he KNOWS he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it weren't the fans and, as a voice at Dragoncon, we told him what we wanted - the show to come back with the original cast and themes of the show. (Remember, this was 1998).

Anyway, I consider Richard to be a truly awesome guy who puts the fans first. I always will.

--Rhonda
Rhonda thankyou so much for sharing your experiences on meeting Richard.
It sounds like you had a fantastic time at the convention! And I think you're
right that EVERYTHING he has done .......has been done for US. I hope one
day I'll be able to go to one of those conventions. It truelly sounds like a
very 'positive' experience for anyone who can go.
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #153
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

It was my pleasure, SS...

=)

--Rhonda
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #154
Antelope

Just so people don't take my remarks out of contexts:

On the question of where did I get the idea Richard Hatch didn't like Battlestar Galactica.
Please look at my original reply where I quoted the article Jerry posted. It says Richard Hatch originally did not want to do either Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica. He did not think highly of either theme. It goes on to state that after certain things were changed and Richard Hatch was offered more money he finally came on board Battlestar Galactica.

I do believe Richard Hatch is a good person and has done a lot for the franchise and the fans other than simply being the actor that played "Apollo". I do distinguish between the man and the character.

What I may not have said well is that the end of Battlestar Galactica seems to be a transforming effect in Richard Hatch's life. Prior to Battlestar Galactica he did not appreciate the scifi vision of Larson or Lucas. His star was so bright during Galactica that fans had become a burden instead of something he appreciated. At some point after Battlestar ended Hatch appears to have realized that the fans were important. They cared about him and what he did. At some point he felt the need to connect with them. Whether this was out of thanks or a longing for what he once had who knows. The botom line is that he was like the proverbial rich kid who loses everything. The basic personality may be the same (articles then and now still mention his harsh tongue!) but his values and understanding of life were changed. Richard Hatch today seems to be a much better person than the Richard Hatch described in 1979.

I only wish that he can focus himself on something he can effect, like his Magellan War show. He will always have the friendship of the Battlestar fans. He doesn't need to do anything more to keep that.

I think if I met the Richard Hatch many of you describe today at a convention he would probably be very friendly, shake my hand, and give me an autograph if I asked. I think if I met Richard Hatch in 1979 as descibed he probably was forced by the studio to go to the event and would be annoyed I bothered him.

Old March 13th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #155
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Just so people don't take my remarks out of contexts:

On the question of where did I get the idea Richard Hatch didn't like Battlestar Galactica.
Please look at my original reply where I quoted the article Jerry posted. It says Richard Hatch originally did not want to do either Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica. He did not think highly of either theme. It goes on to state that after certain things were changed and Richard Hatch was offered more money he finally came on board Battlestar Galactica.
I don't know the details of how that author got all his information for that article, but what you are hanging on to as some sort of vindication for your theory is incorrect. Hatch didn't do "Galactica" for the money. Hatch originally avoided "Galactica" because he was an idealistic young actor who was selective of the roles he wanted to play, and he was concerned that "Galactica" might be nothing more than a "Star Wars" knock off when he was originally approached as he was a big fan OF "Star Wars" (and a HUGE science fiction fan as well). When he read the script and saw the pre-production art by Ralph McQuarrie, and spoke with Glen Larson at great length regarding the themes (most notably, of the sense of family prevelent in the script between Adama, Apollo and Athena and the extended family of Serina and Boxey) he saw much of the heart and soul behind the story and decided to sign on. His caution had everything to do with making sure he was going to be doing something he would be proud of, which to this day, he is. How do I know? I've had the opportunity to have many discussions with Richard about the original series and his involvement and he never speaks of it with anything less than the joy of someone who loved what he did. Which is why he's been so fiercely protective of the legacy he, Glen Larson, Dirk Benedict, and the rest of the cast and crew helped create.

Quote:
What I may not have said well is that the end of Battlestar Galactica seems to be a transforming effect in Richard Hatch's life. Prior to Battlestar Galactica he did not appreciate the scifi vision of Larson or Lucas. His star was so bright during Galactica that fans had become a burden instead of something he appreciated. At some point after Battlestar ended Hatch appears to have realized that the fans were important. They cared about him and what he did. At some point he felt the need to connect with them. Whether this was out of thanks or a longing for what he once had who knows. The botom line is that he was like the proverbial rich kid who loses everything. The basic personality may be the same (articles then and now still mention his harsh tongue!) but his values and understanding of life were changed. Richard Hatch today seems to be a much better person than the Richard Hatch described in 1979.

I think if I met the Richard Hatch many of you describe today at a convention he would probably be very friendly, shake my hand, and give me an autograph if I asked. I think if I met Richard Hatch in 1979 as descibed he probably was forced by the studio to go to the event and would be annoyed I bothered him.
Wrong again on ALL counts. It's really a shame that you feel the need to try and prove your point having no access to any of the true facts and continue to try and advance some fantasy theory about who Richard is. A lot of us here have had the chance to meet, work, and be friends with Richard. What you "claim" is true about Richard in 1979 isn't. Plain and simple. How do I know? Not from an article with some information in it that may or may not have been fact checked that you are grasping on to as a way to assert your belief.

I produced the retrospective documentary that was shown at Galacticon 2003, and had the opportunity to interview Glen Larson, Laurette Spang, and Anne Lockhart. The Richard they described from working with him was pretty consistant across the board. A great actor to work with, extremely intense and deep on one hand and on the other, a man with the heart and playfullness of a child who has been both up and down throughout his career but always positive and embracing of everyone who he's crossed paths with.

I'm not going to continue to defend him here anymore, because quite franky, he doesn't need me to because people who've met him know what he is like. I just wish people like you who don't know the facts would quit trying to advance a theory to save face instead of just bowing out and admitting you don't know what you are talking about.

JV
Old March 13th, 2004, 06:09 AM   #156
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I only wish that he can focus himself on something he can effect, like his Magellan War show. He will always have the friendship of the Battlestar fans. He doesn't need to do anything more to keep that.
I could respond to this but, I won't. I'll just leave it here and look at it every now and then.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #157
larocque6689
Warrior

http://members.tripod.com/john_larocque/bsg.html

My meeting with Richard Hatch at Toronto Trek in 1998 is linked here:
http://members.tripod.com/john_larocque/tortrek.html
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #158
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Vasilatos
I don't know the details of how that author got all his information for that article, but what you are hanging on to as some sort of vindication for your theory is incorrect. Hatch didn't do "Galactica" for the money. Hatch originally avoided "Galactica" because he was an idealistic young actor who was selective of the roles he wanted to play.

Wrong again on ALL counts. It's really a shame that you feel the need to try and prove your point having no access to any of the true facts and continue to try and advance some fantasy theory about who Richard is. A lot of us here have had the chance to meet, work, and be friends with Richard. What you "claim" is true about Richard in 1979 isn't. Plain and simple. How do I know? Not from an article with some information in it that may or may not have been fact checked that you are grasping on to as a way to assert your belief.

I produced the retrospective documentary that was shown at Galacticon 2003, and had the opportunity to interview Glen Larson, Laurette Spang, and Anne Lockhart. The Richard they described from working with him was pretty consistant across the board. A great actor to work with, extremely intense and deep on one hand and on the other, a man with the heart and playfullness of a child who has been both up and down throughout his career but always positive and embracing of everyone who he's crossed paths with.

JV
I am sure you are a nice guy. I have no axe to grind against anyone.

I read the articles that YOU and people who also say they are familiar with Richard Hatch post. I say again I do not know him personally. YOU are the one that posted the article that stated that Richard Hatch was not thrilled with the Galcatica concept prior to coming on board. YOU are the one that posted the article that implied Richard took the role because of an offer of extra money. YOU are the one that posted the article that said Richard was known for having an "impatient" personality in 1979. YOU are the one that posted an article that said Richard viewed fans as a burden in 1979 and that Dirk Benedict advised him to see things better.

I read the article YOU posted. Prior to that time I had read many articles about Richard Hatch today but saw nothing that referenced Richard Hatch then. YOUR posted article that referenced Richard Hatch then showed a person very different from the Richard Hatch we know today (other than many more current references to his "impatient and sharp tongued personality").

Did you know Richard Hatch prior to 1979? Have you spoken to anyone who knew him in the business before Galactica that doesn't have to deal with him at Galactica conventions etc.? (Like maybe people that worked with him in "The Streets of San Francisco).

The bottomline is that YOUR posting is the one that gave me the impression I currently have of Richard Hatch prior to 1979. If the article does not represent what Richard Hatch is like I would suggest that in the future you review what your posting and delete such things if you do not believe they are true. As a person who claims to be a friend of Richard Hatch and obviously has a wealth of Battlestar Galactica data available I assumed the article YOU posted was representative of YOUR friend.

I am sorry if I have the wrong impression of your friend. As I read more articles on him over time I may change my mind. As a person who does not know him personally and will never know him personally prior to 1979 I have only the words of you and the others that post to build my impression on.

It is also not a crime for a person to grow in life. YOUR posted article implied to me that Richard Hatch has faced his own internal demons and is today a much better PERSON than he was prior to his experience with Battlestar Galactica. I want him and everyone for that matter to be happy. I see much of his effort to restart Galactica in the last few years as a personal frustration. I wish him the best and hope his War of Magellan project is a success.

Old March 13th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #159
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by larocque6689
http://members.tripod.com/john_larocque/bsg.html

My meeting with Richard Hatch at Toronto Trek in 1998 is linked here:
http://members.tripod.com/john_larocque/tortrek.html
Thank you for posting the links Larocque! I really loved the
review you did about meeting Richard Hatch
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #160
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
I am sure you are a nice guy. I have no axe to grind against anyone.

I read the articles that YOU and people who also say they are familiar with Richard Hatch post. I say again I do not know him personally. YOU are the one that posted the article that stated that Richard Hatch was not thrilled with the Galcatica concept prior to coming on board. YOU are the one that posted the article that implied Richard took the role because of an offer of extra money. YOU are the one that posted the article that said Richard was known for having an "impatient" personality in 1979. YOU are the one that posted an article that said Richard viewed fans as a burden in 1979 and that Dirk Benedict advised him to see things better.

I read the article YOU posted. Prior to that time I had read many articles about Richard Hatch today but saw nothing that referenced Richard Hatch then. YOUR posted article that referenced Richard Hatch then showed a person very different from the Richard Hatch we know today (other than many more current references to his "impatient and sharp tongued personality").

Did you know Richard Hatch prior to 1979? Have you spoken to anyone who knew him in the business before Galactica that doesn't have to deal with him at Galactica conventions etc.? (Like maybe people that worked with him in "The Streets of San Francisco)
The bottomline is that YOUR posting is the one that gave me the impression I currently have of Richard Hatch prior to 1979. If the article does not represent what Richard Hatch is like I would suggest that in the future you review what your posting and delete such things if you do not believe they are true. As a person who claims to be a friend of Richard Hatch and obviously has a wealth of Battlestar Galactica data available I assumed the article YOU posted was representative of YOUR friend.

I am sorry if I have the wrong impression of your friend. As I read more articles on him over time I may change my mind. As a person who does not know him personally and will never know him personally prior to 1979 I have only the words of you and the others that post to build my impression on.

It is also not a crime for a person to grow in life. YOUR posted article implied to me that Richard Hatch has faced his own internal demons and is today a much better PERSON than he was prior to his experience with Battlestar Galactica. I want him and everyone for that matter to be happy. I see much of his effort to restart Galactica in the last few years as a personal frustration. I wish him the best and hope his War of Magellan project is a success.
For everyone to see. This is the paragraph verbatim from the article I posted a few days back. This is what Antelope bases his entire perception on.

"Richard Hatch, late of TV's The Streets of San Francisco, rose to his present position through the soap opera ranks. Known for his temperament ("I'm impatient"), Hatch initially turned down the role of Captain Apollo because "the part seemed too limited and narrow." But Hatch even Star Wars "fell short of what it might have been, it had no sense of truth." Eventually the script was revised, more money was offered, and Hatch climbed aboard as the gung-ho Captain Apollo, Adama's son. Right now Hatch is worried about the effect this has on his private life. "Ladies don't really see me," he recently told a reporter. "They see an image of what they want me to be. It's gotten so I can't go anywhere without people pulling at me, wanting this, wanting that." Dirk Benedict, cast as Lieutenant Starbuck, the happ-go-lucky ace fighter pilot who has a taste for women and gambling, is more stoic about Galactica's success. "I may end up as the Bruce Springsteen of television," he says, referring o the superhyped rock star whose stardom never quite lived up to his publicity.

I think it's very interesting how a few days later, Antelope manufactures other facts he claims are in this article, that are not there:

Antelope-"YOU are the one that posted an article that said Richard viewed fans as a burden in 1979 and that Dirk Benedict advised him to see things better."

What in the hell are you talking about? I posted no such statement and it does not exist in that article or in ANYTHING I have posted. Get your FACTS straight mister.

Antelope-"Did you know Richard Hatch prior to 1979? Have you spoken to anyone who knew him in the business before Galactica that doesn't have to deal with him at Galactica conventions etc.? (Like maybe people that worked with him in "The Streets of San Francisco)"

Glen Larson doesn't have to deal with Richard at conventions and I have heard his opinions on Richard at that time and they were nothing short of sterling. Everyone I have spoken to, and every fan here who knows Richard has testified to his character.

Antelope-"The bottomline is that YOUR posting is the one that gave me the impression I currently have of Richard Hatch prior to 1979. If the article does not represent what Richard Hatch is like I would suggest that in the future you review what your posting and delete such things if you do not believe they are true. As a person who claims to be a friend of Richard Hatch and obviously has a wealth of Battlestar Galactica data available I assumed the article YOU posted was representative of YOUR friend."

The article I posted had to do with the discussion regarding "Galactica" itself, not Richard Hatch. You took that paragraph and turned it into a crusade. You do have an axe to grind, and it is very obvious.

It's also obvious YOU are a complete idiot.

I am a nice guy. Except when it comes to dealing with fools in over their heads.

JV
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #161
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Well folks, it looks like it's time to take a little breather.

Please keep in mind that the debate needs to keep with the ISSUE. Disparaging remarks toward another member aren't very nice AND aren't going to be tolerated.

Take a deep breath. Too much carbon dioxide is not a good thing.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.

Closed Thread