Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #1
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Going Out On A Limb.....

Greets All,

I am going to say up front that I am sticking my neck out on this one.

I want it understood from the very start that what follows are my own personal opinions, nothing more. I have no contact with either Universal, the Sci-Fi Channel, Richard Hatch or Glen Larsen in any way, shape or form.

That said.....

There have been comments from time to time on how RH has "deserted" or "back-stabbed" the CBSG fan-base over a certain unmentionable thing. I think this is being very disingenuous -- in fact, I think he wasn't given a lot of choice. Allow me to explain.

I think that RH got himself into a world of trouble with his "Second Coming" trailer. Spending your own money to do a fan film, then showing it for free around the convention circuit is one thing..."shopping it" to industry execs without the permission of all entites with IPs is asking for trouble.

I don't think that anyone moved on him initially, however, as at first it seemed like there might actually be a continuation rather than a radical "reimagining"; once that fell through, and a groudswell of opposition began building among the CBSG fan-base, TSC was ressurrected as a way to encourage a split in the fan-base by bring RH into the certain unmentionable thing.

Follow the logic: RH comes out swinging in opposition to the "re-imagining"; as the show is picked up for series-running, RH suddenly does an about-face. Why? What possible benefit is there? None: whatever paycheck he's getting from Skiffy, and whatever fan mail he gets from the Black Squaddies pales in comparison to the hate mail he'll get from this side of the aisle. He's doing just fine, trying to sell "Magellan" and lobbying for a continuation.

The "beauty" of this, form the POV of GL/Universal/Skiffy, is that RH can't say a word about it: if he talks, the deal is off and he gets sued for major copyright infringment. As long as he sucks it up and takes it, all he has to deal with is the "old-skool" fans' hatred.

RH's volte-face always bugged me, and I have suspected that there is/was something behind it. It isn't money -- that's nothing but chump-change. But for the "unholy trinity", it might save their "baby".

Again, I have absolutely Z-E-R-O in the way of proof, but this is the only thing that makes sense to me...and I don't think I'm alone - I'm just the first one to say it out loud.....
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Well, I for one am simply sick of the hatred and vitriol that many fans have spewed toward him for his change of heart.

I will not go into details, as this kinda skirts around the borders of TNS discussion.

I do know that a lot of fans, while perhaps being miffed about it, do not begrudge the guy for needing to make a paycheck.

The ones who have turned on him are the ones who cannot stomach the idea of him embracing radically different concept.

Some have even suggested that if RH had any honor or scruples at all, he would've stuck to his guns regarding TOS and TSC. Felgercarb. This is NOT about honor or scruples. This is about making a frakkin' living. Anyone who thinks this is about honor and scruples is taking this thing WAY too frakkin' seriously.

All I can say is, we're all just human beings. We do what we must to survive. I admire RH's bravery and magnanimity in the face of some, (not ALL) of the fanbase's hatred. He's a far bigger man than those folks.

That's all I have to say.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

I harbor no ill will towards Richard Hatch. Personally I hope he's sucking as much money from TNS as he can.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

We came to within a hairs breadth of getting the kind of continuation that we wanted, and a big part of that was the simply superhuman efforts of Richard.
He's lost something like $60,000 on trying to get our show the kind of continuation it deserves. He's re-mortaged his house, risked his future financial security and done 500% more than anyone could have ever expected to keep the dream alive.
People mock him for always being available for conventions and such. They should be bloody ashamed! If only all 'stars' had such loyalty to their fans!
He's an amazing bloke, and if he wants to work on RDMs show, then good on him!
He's not Apollo in it, it's got no connection with our beloved classic, and won't affect a continuation if it happens.
Let anyone who wants to point the finger at Richard do 1% of the amount he has for the 'scene' first.

The man is an honest to god fracking hero!
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #5
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

I second Centurion Draco's words.

Let me add, Richard stated at a con I heard him speak at what a good role he had in the new show. He also talked a lot about the art of acting and how hard it is to get a good role.

After seeing the little I have of him in GINO, I have no ill feelings. I would have taken to role too.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #6
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

WarMachine,

I wish that you hadn't tested the strength of that limb.

At any rate, this is a fair discussion topic and folks should be able to freely express their feelings, WITH ONE PROVISO:

Quote:
One thing we DO NOT allow on these boards is attacks on an individual, be it by way of direct affront or snide comments about his/her opinion or belief. Feel free to discuss your differences, but take pains not to be insulting about it.

Source: FAQ Section, Rules and Conduct Guidelines, item# 1
This, especially, applies to those individuals who may NOT be here to "defend themselves".

Now, that the boundaries have been established and since this IS a fair discussion topic, I'll take my turn on the soapbox.

For about 20 years, folks had been clamoring for a continuation to the Battlestar Galactica story. They signed petitions, went to conventions, and filled message boards with their thoughts, feelings, hopes and desires.

There was one person, who was literally swept up in this 'movement' and was so overwhelmed with the continued interest for a 20 year-old show that ran for 1 season, that he added his name to the chorus. That one person was Richard Hatch. By joining in with that chorus, though, he assumed the mantle of de facto leader of the Continuation Movement. He became the torch bearer for those folks who wished to see a continuation of the story that Larson penned 20 years prior.

The only problem is that he had no controllling interest in Battlestar Galactica. Universal held the rights to any TV-based show while Glen Larson held the rights to any theatre-based version of the show. Those same conditions exist today. In essence, Richard was just like any of us, a fan of the show, but one with more assets like name recognition, visibility, and industry contacts.

Well, he used those assets to put together the trailer known as "BG: The Second Coming". He arranged for financing, in part, by taking out another mortgage on his home. He gained the cooperation of the Screen Actors Guild, for the production to be done, pro bono, with the provision that it could only be shown at private settings. Also, no economic gain could be made from it or he would be liable for paying the actors and production crew for their participation in the venture.

Given the fact that he did NOT have any controlling interest in Galactica, what was his motivation for doing the trailer? To give the folks a rallying point? To prod Larson and/or Universal into dusting off the big G? To somehow gain control of the franchise himself? My thoughts are that some combination of those three items may have been the motivation.

At any rate, it was done. Based on the reception to its showing at the various conventions, Richard had some tangible evidence for proving that there was an existing groundswell of support for the show. He ran with this as far and for as long as he could.

The combination of the "re-imagined" venture by Sci-Fi and the low turnout for Galactcicon 2003 pretty much spelled the 'end' of the movement. It was at Galacticon where Richard and Ron Moore met and, among other things, discussed Galactica.

Soon after the mini-series aired, Moore approached Richard and offered him the role of Tom Zarek. For Richard, it was an opportunity to get 'back in the business' and become gainfully employed in his chosen profession. It was an opportunity to gain some compensation for the expenses that he single-handedly incurred in the Continuation Movement. And it was an opportunity to show his ability to be reasonable and accepting real-life circumstances instead of being viewed as a malcontent prima-donna wanting it "his way or the highway'.

Do I hold him in contempt for doing this? NO
Do I wish that he had chosen something else to launch a comeback? Perhaps, if that something else was actually being offered to him.

Do I consider him a traitor? HELL NO!!

Bottom line: While I absolutely do not devalue any effort that anyone has made on behalf of a Continuation effort, I also recognize that Richard, single-handedly, did more to bring the big G back than the rest of us COMBINED.

Before we cast critical glances toward the man, we would do well to acknowledge the positive efforts that he has made toward fulfilling our hopes and dreams.

I hold him in the same high regard as was evident before the new show and offer him my heartfelt thanks.

BST

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

WarMachine,

Richard did not accept his latest acting job because of any sort of trouble through The Second Coming or otherwise. The damage that did was entirely to his personal reputation. There were no legal issues or studio "blackmail" if that is the understanding. He accepted that job entirely of his own choice.

I don't believe Richard lost anywhere near the money that is being claimed. As I recall, his Line of Credit funding was somewhere around $18,000. He has made much of this back through the intangibles. Firstly, it did get the show recognized and you could argue that without it, the other efforts would have failed. Regardless, it made him more of a convention star and let him sell more autographs, pictures, and the rest. In some ways, you could consider it personal advertising. If someone is claiming that The Second Coming cost $60,000 then I have to presume that such a figure includes the technicians and actors time. Most (if not all) of this was donated.

Richard does seem to like playing Zarek. He's an actor who took an acting job. His status is different because he told so many others to "keep the faith" and then joined what seems to be the strongest force working against a continuation of the original series. Some won't forgive him for that. I don't hold it against him but really believe that when he did this, he abandoned his postiion as "the leader" of any continuation efforts. I've told him that in a face-to-face conversation. He didn't like it but he seemed to understand where I was coming from and what logic lay behind it.

Having said that, Richard is still a very strong supporter of any continuation effort and I think considering him a "traitor" or enemy of any kind is a huge mistake.

Sandy

EDIT: I see BST beat me to the punch.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I do not consider Richard a traitor. But I do have a not overly positive view of him based on my belief that his interest in Galactica has always been first and foremost about his own interests only, and that means that what's good for the fanbase of TOS and for that matter for a continuation has not always dovetailed with his interests. It's not that I begrudge Richard for looking out for his own interests first, but I don't care for the fact that this has been camouflaged at times underneath a facade of him being the biggest champion for a continuation effort.

To me, Richard has two strikes against him for things that have nothing to do with the acting job he has taken. First, I have never enjoyed the Galactica novels that have his name, and I feel that they did not do the fanbase of TOS any favors with their total failure to measure up to some basic standards of storytelling and regard for continuity. The badness of those novels explains entirely why I was tepid to the idea of any continuation project headed by him, because I just had no confidence in a good story emerging from him based on his novels.

Second, Richard also openly ran down the DeSanto project on his website by saying that the DeSanto project would only be showing "token" respect for the original series. I can't speak for others, but I do know that reading that statement did influence my own tepid lack of enthusiasm for DeSanto when that was being announced. It wasn't until after the fact, and after the DeSanto project was dead that I learned that this characterization of Richard's did DeSanto and Singer an injustice. The real reason why Richard had such a negative view of the project was beacuse DeSanto didn't come up with a good acting role for him in it. So instead of being honest about that, he instead made statements that I believe tried to turn off the fanbase toward the idea of the DeSanto project, and I know that in my case, he succeeded.

Now, when Richard makes statements praising what Moore has done, that doesn't sit well with me in light of the negative comments he made about DeSanto's project. If he were candid and just said it was all about looking for his own interests only, even if that meant the fans of TOS had to be disappointed, I could respect that a lot easier. But what doesn't sit well with me is the thought of having been played for a sucker in terms of how I should have been reacting to the DeSanto project while it was in development based on his own public comments that suggested something that wasn't true. Because I can only wonder how many other TOS fans out there didn't know any better thanks to reading Richard's denunciations of the project while it was in development, and thus weren't willing to lend it the kind of support it should have gotten.

Just my two cubits.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #9
WarMachine
Warrior

BST: Sorry! Seriously...I thought long and hard before posting that.

To Everyone: I want to correct what many may feel is an attack on my part against RH -- it is not. My concern is that I had a hard time understanding the logic behind it, as I've never seen RH in that much of a "mercenary" light.

I was simply bothered by what I saw as the occasional newbie attack on RH, and wanted to come out with my own explanation for it.

As to RH torpedoing the De Santos production, I know nothing about it, so I can't speak to it.

While RH isn't exactly my most favorite actor, I do respect him as an actor.

Just wanted to clarify that.........
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

This is what Richard said on his website at the time, with the key passage in bold, June 23, 2001.

"Hi everyone,

I just thought that I would share a few thoughts and update all of you on what's going on with myself and Battlestar Galactica. It's been a relatively quiet time after all the dramatic news concerning the new proposed Battlestar Galactica series.

I have read a few articles from Bryan Singer and have heard little bits of heresay from various parties. However, the pipeline for breaking news seems to have been turned off for the time being. It seems to me that if we are not hearing anything, then either there is nothing to report -- or they don't want us to know what's going on. After such a strong negative response from the fans concerning the direction the studios originally wanted to take Battlestar Galactica in, I would have to think that they must have realized that if they were going to follow their own agenda, they better do it in secret. Nobody wants to be second guessed -- and I'm sure that they think that they know better than the fans what direction the show should go in.

They talk about honoring the original show, but everything I hear tells me that they have no real intention of following through on that promise other than in a token way, which is how the studios always try to appease the fans and at the same time take advantage of the marketing value of using a few characters from the original series. Who knows maybe they will come up with a great show and blow everybody away with their creative vision for Battlestar Galactica, maybe they won't. No matter what happens, I personally would like to see Battlestar succeed because it's a great epic story with a lot of heart -- and it deserves a real chance to fly. My fear is, if Battlestar Galactica doesn't succeed, they will blame Battlestar itself and not the creative vision behind it. The studios will just say that if Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto can't make Battlestar Galactica successful, then nobody can. "
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Warmachine:

I wasn't attacking you, I hope you didn't think that was the case. I realise your comments are not anti Richard.
I think that there is a definate element of 'Richard bashing' that goes on, but that it is mostly a bit 'uninformed' and were people more aware of his contributions, they might see it differently.
I just like to 'voice' my part of the pro-side is all
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
I do not consider Richard a traitor. But I do have a not overly positive view of him based on my belief that his interest in Galactica has always been first and foremost about his own interests only, and that means that what's good for the fanbase of TOS and for that matter for a continuation has not always dovetailed with his interests. It's not that I begrudge Richard for looking out for his own interests first, but I don't care for the fact that this has been camouflaged at times underneath a facade of him being the biggest champion for a continuation effort.

To me, Richard has two strikes against him for things that have nothing to do with the acting job he has taken. First, I have never enjoyed the Galactica novels that have his name, and I feel that they did not do the fanbase of TOS any favors with their total failure to measure up to some basic standards of storytelling and regard for continuity. The badness of those novels explains entirely why I was tepid to the idea of any continuation project headed by him, because I just had no confidence in a good story emerging from him based on his novels.

Second, Richard also openly ran down the DeSanto project on his website by saying that the DeSanto project would only be showing "token" respect for the original series. I can't speak for others, but I do know that reading that statement did influence my own tepid lack of enthusiasm for DeSanto when that was being announced. It wasn't until after the fact, and after the DeSanto project was dead that I learned that this characterization of Richard's did DeSanto and Singer an injustice. The real reason why Richard had such a negative view of the project was beacuse DeSanto didn't come up with a good acting role for him in it. So instead of being honest about that, he instead made statements that I believe tried to turn off the fanbase toward the idea of the DeSanto project, and I know that in my case, he succeeded.

Now, when Richard makes statements praising what Moore has done, that doesn't sit well with me in light of the negative comments he made about DeSanto's project. If he were candid and just said it was all about looking for his own interests only, even if that meant the fans of TOS had to be disappointed, I could respect that a lot easier. But what doesn't sit well with me is the thought of having been played for a sucker in terms of how I should have been reacting to the DeSanto project while it was in development based on his own public comments that suggested something that wasn't true. Because I can only wonder how many other TOS fans out there didn't know any better thanks to reading Richard's denunciations of the project while it was in development, and thus weren't willing to lend it the kind of support it should have gotten.

Just my two cubits.
Eric,

There are those who would view your remarks as little more than 'sour grapes', if you don't, at least, give the man a nod for the good things that he did.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #13
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Frankly, I think the good Richard did for keeping Galactica in view goes without saying. I think the fact that he did more than anyone else could do to increase its visibility (with the exception of Universal and Larson themselves, who didn't until Richard kicked 'em in the astrum) is common knowlege - he was the standard-bearer for a goodly number of years.

But I agree with Sandy - he gave up that role in 'fandom' when he embraced the Zarek role. He now has the same credibility (for lack of a better word) as any other fan who wants to see a continuation.

His books may not have followed canon religiously - but they did retain the flavor of the universe, and that's no small thing.

So all things considered I think to villify him for accepting a GINO role is very much mistaken, even if he did willingly abdicate any kind of leadership or cheerleader role in the effort to promote a continuation of the BSG universe. I certainly understand his reasons for taking that part - but I don't look to him for any kind of BSG input.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #14
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Well Pete, I don't know where the "sour grapes" is. I guess the problem for me is that in the total picture of things, I just didn't see enough good things, though I'll admit I'm at a disadvantage in some respects because I've never seen his trailer. My judgment has largely been based on the novels, which I did not like, and there were also some impressions of him that were passed along by friends of mine who met him at some conventions that were not overwhelmingly favorable either (and I won't be elaborating on that in this setting). That said, it was *because* he at least was focusing on the importance of a continuation having to have the actors and characters of TOS back, was why I still paid attention to what he had to say, and why ultimately when he made his remarks about DeSanto and Singer, that I gave them such credence that I wasn't heads-up on just what that project was turning into before it got shut down, or else I would have been trying to mobilize a lot of people I know to give their backing to DeSanto/Singer. That's again, only speaking for how things unfolded from my vantage point during that period.

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #15
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I know and I wasn't trying to belittle your opinion but, from what I read, all that I saw was negative.

But, as we all know, perception is the key. 2 different people can view the same thing and walk away with 2 decidedly different interpretations. Neither can be faulted for that.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 21st, 2006, 02:42 AM   #16
Lara
Squadron Leader

I do not consider RH either as a hero/god or a villan/demon, but somewhere in the middle. A public figure who often wears his heart on his sleeve, and doubtlessly, passionately believes his thoughts of the moment. He is also an actor & author, making a living by telling stories, and a motivational speaker who is skilled at riasing support for a cause..

He's done some wonderful things for BSG, absolutely, but he's also done some unfortunate things, which only proves he is a man of changing passions, which magnified by the lens of public exposure., can quickly start a brush fire that sweeps the boards

The fleeting 'betrayal' I felt had to be put into perspective pretty quickly at the time. It was hard, but necessary, to take the emotion out of it. It broke my heart, but a cool head had to prevail.
Now we can have the sort of discussion this thread currently is: a discussion in fact and logic, among mature adults.

Cheers,
Lara
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM   #17
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco
We came to within a hairs breadth of getting the kind of continuation that we wanted, and a big part of that was the simply superhuman efforts of Richard.
He's lost something like $60,000 on trying to get our show the kind of continuation it deserves. He's re-mortaged his house, risked his future financial security and done 500% more than anyone could have ever expected to keep the dream alive.
People mock him for always being available for conventions and such. They should be bloody ashamed! If only all 'stars' had such loyalty to their fans!
He's an amazing bloke, and if he wants to work on RDMs show, then good on him!
He's not Apollo in it, it's got no connection with our beloved classic, and won't affect a continuation if it happens.
Let anyone who wants to point the finger at Richard do 1% of the amount he has for the 'scene' first.

The man is an honest to god fracking hero!

Well told, CD!!
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM   #18
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
WarMachine,

I wish that you hadn't tested the strength of that limb.

At any rate, this is a fair discussion topic and folks should be able to freely express their feelings, WITH ONE PROVISO:

This, especially, applies to those individuals who may NOT be here to "defend themselves".

Now, that the boundaries have been established and since this IS a fair discussion topic, I'll take my turn on the soapbox.

For about 20 years, folks had been clamoring for a continuation to the Battlestar Galactica story. They signed petitions, went to conventions, and filled message boards with their thoughts, feelings, hopes and desires.

There was one person, who was literally swept up in this 'movement' and was so overwhelmed with the continued interest for a 20 year-old show that ran for 1 season, that he added his name to the chorus. That one person was Richard Hatch. By joining in with that chorus, though, he assumed the mantle of de facto leader of the Continuation Movement. He became the torch bearer for those folks who wished to see a continuation of the story that Larson penned 20 years prior.

The only problem is that he had no controllling interest in Battlestar Galactica. Universal held the rights to any TV-based show while Glen Larson held the rights to any theatre-based version of the show. Those same conditions exist today. In essence, Richard was just like any of us, a fan of the show, but one with more assets like name recognition, visibility, and industry contacts.

Well, he used those assets to put together the trailer known as "BG: The Second Coming". He arranged for financing, in part, by taking out another mortgage on his home. He gained the cooperation of the Screen Actors Guild, for the production to be done, pro bono, with the provision that it could only be shown at private settings. Also, no economic gain could be made from it or he would be liable for paying the actors and production crew for their participation in the venture.

Given the fact that he did NOT have any controlling interest in Galactica, what was his motivation for doing the trailer? To give the folks a rallying point? To prod Larson and/or Universal into dusting off the big G? To somehow gain control of the franchise himself? My thoughts are that some combination of those three items may have been the motivation.

At any rate, it was done. Based on the reception to its showing at the various conventions, Richard had some tangible evidence for proving that there was an existing groundswell of support for the show. He ran with this as far and for as long as he could.

The combination of the "re-imagined" venture by Sci-Fi and the low turnout for Galactcicon 2003 pretty much spelled the 'end' of the movement. It was at Galacticon where Richard and Ron Moore met and, among other things, discussed Galactica.

Soon after the mini-series aired, Moore approached Richard and offered him the role of Tom Zarek. For Richard, it was an opportunity to get 'back in the business' and become gainfully employed in his chosen profession. It was an opportunity to gain some compensation for the expenses that he single-handedly incurred in the Continuation Movement. And it was an opportunity to show his ability to be reasonable and accepting real-life circumstances instead of being viewed as a malcontent prima-donna wanting it "his way or the highway'.

Do I hold him in contempt for doing this? NO
Do I wish that he had chosen something else to launch a comeback? Perhaps, if that something else was actually being offered to him.

Do I consider him a traitor? HELL NO!!

Bottom line: While I absolutely do not devalue any effort that anyone has made on behalf of a Continuation effort, I also recognize that Richard, single-handedly, did more to bring the big G back than the rest of us COMBINED.

Before we cast critical glances toward the man, we would do well to acknowledge the positive efforts that he has made toward fulfilling our hopes and dreams.

I hold him in the same high regard as was evident before the new show and offer him my heartfelt thanks.

BST

Amen!!!
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Everyone here has made great posts, expressing their viewpoints.

WarMachine, you kicked off a great discussion, and I know you weren't attacking Richard either. It was pretty plain that you weren't.

I don't think that a person's likes or dislikes should diminish them in anyway, shape, or form regarding their status as a fan. RH still has done far, far more to bring about a continuation than anyone else, and as far as I am concerned, until someone tops him in that regard, then he is still pretty much a leader (by virtue if not by example) in the continuation movement. I know my logic seems fracked up, but right now I am looking at individual achievement.

Now, with that said, I would dare say that the new up and coming leader will most likely be Sandy. His work on the Exodus audio series (of which Dawg, OWD, CT, and myself are proud to be a part) is simply astonishing, and has been gathering a lot of momentum, in both the way it is unfolding, and the notice it is getting from fans abroad. The goals he has in mind, regarding the story, could be just what the doctor ordered to really fire up the continuation movement again.

There's more I would write, but right now, I have some RL activity that must intercede upon this reverie. Take care all. Will chatcha soon.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM   #20
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Well said Martok2112! Sandy is very much taking Richard's ball and running with it. Exodus is fabulous! It is a tremondous piece of SciFi that has multi-audience appeal. I too am thrilled to be part of it. Even my husband, Mr. I Hate Galactica, thinks it is masterful.

We have Sandy, Richard, and Tom on our side. If you ask me, with dedication like that, we have already won!
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

From my standpoint as a fan, it will be a mult- victory if this pushes us closer to a continuation, because I will have had the opportunity to enjoy different versions of Battlestar Galactica.

Thanks, KamikazeAthena. It is a great time to be a Galactica fan.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM   #22
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Thanks. I never intended to lean towards the "new leader" role ... as quite a few old discussions should prove but if being the new leader means nothing more than having put out a good series people enjoy then I embrace that.

I never intended Exodus to be a drive towards a continuation but simply a gift for the fans that wouldn't be invalidated if a continuation of some kind took place. Since its a lot of work, I wanted everyone's effort to go for something that would continue to be strong and not be overwritten should a new series, direct-to-DVD film, or anything else ever make it to the works.

Getting a continuation isn't the focus however. Making a valid expansion of the series and partial continuation of the original series storyline is. There's a lot of details in the latest IFB broadcast so I won't repeat them here.

I will say that I am very happy with the story for EP2, really like the concepts laid out for EP3, am enthusiastic about the setup for EP4, see a lot of potential in EP5, and think the current EP6 will absolutely blow people away. The storylines afterwards have a lot of promise as well.

We're just getting started and EP2 will have a lot more of a Galactica feel than EP1. I really beleive it carries the right tone and John's revamped ending provides the right action and a nice flow that should prove that the original series epic can be looked at again, expanded well, and make for some very entertaining tales.

... at least it looks good like that in script form.

Sandy
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM   #23
mikedx
Warriordx

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarGalacticaAutographs.com

Quote:
Given the fact that he did NOT have any controlling interest in Galactica, what was his motivation for doing the trailer?
Richard said that it was to be used as a presentation to try to sell the concept to Universal, to let them see what the continuation with the original actors (and adding a second generation of younger actors) would look like, and how good it could be.

Thanks,
Mike
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM   #24
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

The problem I've got with RH is what Eric Paddon said. That, and I recently saw him on a con, and his words were: "The new series is good, but I wish they had called it something else." Basically saying, "Galactica in name only."

Then I read quotes of him saying basically: "The new series is the best thing that happened to Galactica."

What?

I don't care that he took a job on the show. Like Dirk Benedict said on the same con: "If they pay me enough, I'll do a role on the show."

All not a problem to me, let him/them take the role; the problem I have, is with him clearly lying to people; whichever is the lie. He says one thing there, and says the exactly opposite someplace else. On top of blacking the DeSanto/Singer project, that paints a very bleak picture of him.

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

3D Master's Story Homepage
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM   #25
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Ok start the flames, cus Im gonna say what I feel and I just know its gonna piss someone off. There was never going to be a continuation, it was never going to happen, it never will. Why? Because it would not entertain the Nintendo generation who thrive on sex drugs and violence. There, its said. My generation is like that. Watch TV, Satalite, Cable and tell me Im wrong. We prefer dysfunction, in the form or "reality" tv and offer our support for shows that have violence, sexual situations, and show the stark life of drugs and murder. There will be someone out there who will argue this, but they are simply arguing to satisfy their own ego. I have only to point to the shows like CSI, Wife Swap, Footballers Wives... ect ect ect ad nauseum. Sex sells, RDM figured that out. Violence shocks us and makes us watch to see what outrage we will see next. Dont believe me? What film clips do we see in previews and news reports. Not the little Iraqi boy planting flowers, its the building blowing up. The origional series danced a fine dance around showing graphically disturbing issues. Any fan accepted sequel would have to do the same or suffer the fate of GINO. Harsh, yes but true. Im not GINO fan, not anymore. Granted, episodes like scar and ressurection ship have improved the quality of the show, but Im still not a fan. But TOS fans are a quirky bunch. We like wholesome good family oriented entertainment. But the world today wont accept that as "quality" programming. How do I know? I post as Poetry Angel on a Captain Scarlet fan site. I posted up how I adored the Thunderbirds movie because the writer/producer Jonathon Frakes kept the show family friendly, and fun, and I got...... flamed! Yes, thats right. The T-Bird purists couldnt handle that it wasnt EXACTLY like the origional. Well folks, this isnt 1985, we do not have tv networks like they were in 85 and the fans of todays shows sure as heck are NOT like they were in 85. So to think that a continuation of TOS would ever have made it is just wishful thinking because it WOULD NEVER SELL. Sorry, sad but true. Hey, this is comming from one of YOU, a TOSer! Im a realist, I accept that fact. RH sold out because he realized that too! RDM made his series the way it is because it sells! Do I like it? No, but enough people do that its had more episodes than TOS! So what we have to do here is to get over the fact that TOS is exactly what it is, the ORIGIONAL series. Not the ONLY series. Im SORRY, but we have to accept it. If the litmus test is longevity, we lost. If the test is money for budget, we lost. If the test is size of fan base, we lost. Just like the colonies, we lost! But, like the Brown Coats, we were on the losing side, but not the WRONG side. TOS will live forever in DVD, and GINO will perhaps spin off a sequel, or maybe a movie or two. I will go watch them, not because I prefer them, but I just have to accept that RDM and his GINO project are the ONLY new BSG stuff that will be comming out of hollywood. Sorry folks, I cant live the dream, but I admire those who do. But reality is, we have to take what we have now and hope that life post RDM and GINO might bring us something a little closer to TOS, but it will never be the same.

tabbi
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM   #26
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

If there was never going to be a continuation, they would never have allowed Singer/Desantos to get as far as building sets, writing scripts, building vipers, etc. etc. They would have told them 'no' from the get go. Nobody is going to waste hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars on something you know you'll never going to use.

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

3D Master's Story Homepage
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM   #27
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Tabbi, you're right, only to a very small point- There never was going to be a continuation.... on the skiffy channel only. Bonnie Hammer wanted a remake from the get-go and could hardly hold her glee at yanking the continuation project of Tom DeSanto right out from under him.

You see... DeSanto's project was to air on the FOX channel, not skiffy. When FOX pulled out, Tom tried going to other stations, but NOT skiffy because he knew Bonnie's stance.

Now.. as for Richard and the main subject of this thread, the most I'll say about it is that Sandy's assessment is virtually dead on. No need to repeat that.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM   #28
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

No flames but I don't agree with this because its premise demands that there is a single audience with a single preference.

If that were true, then different works wouldn't thrive for different audiences. Mel Gibson would never have made a profit with an untraditional film about Jesus Christ just to name the most obvious example.

I'd argue that there is a large, disgruntled audience that both television and the film industry regularly ignores because they focus on the groups you've described. Mel understood this well, just as Peter Jackson did when he was told that the idea of making Lord of the Rings was idiotic because the modern, "sophisticated" (and yes I heard that word) audience wants something more than a boring good vs. evil plotline.

You might not sell to the crowd that you're referencing but I don't agree that there isn't a strong audience out there who would readily embrace a well done continuation.

Sandy
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #29
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

Message deleted by Captmiloman.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM   #30
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
Ok start the flames, cus Im gonna say what I feel and I just know its gonna piss someone off.

tabbi
Statements like this generally do more to inflame the situation rather than the accompanying remarks. It's usually better to just state your feelings and let the interpretation take its own course.

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Closed Thread