Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 26th, 2019, 09:30 PM   #181
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic

What did they do?
I'm not a comic person, so I never saw it.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 11:14 PM   #182
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft2018 View Post
I've read a couple of the Dynamite BG comics and was not impressed with the stories or the artwork, which made everyone look beefy and built like Swarzenegger.

I was especially disappointed in their rethinking of Galactica 1980; absurd.
Well.....I gave them a brownie point for trying to reinvent the concept with a more compelling storyline. The execution though was way off, and don't get me started on how they tried to (ahem) drag in more than one unwelcome GINO reference!

But the one thing that amazes me is how that story and just about EVERY Dynamite story keeps making this wrongheaded assumption that religion in Galactica is polytheistic. Do these people ever LISTEN to the dialogue in the show? God is more than once referred to as singular by Adama and others. Heck, the whole title of the last episode is the ultimate comment on how the "standard" Colonial religion starts from a monotheistic background. I suspect that the influence of GINO is what causes this, and frankly it gets very irritating to me to see this mistake made over and over.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 12:45 AM   #183
Croft2018
Shuttle Pilot

Gino?
Croft2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 06:13 PM   #184
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The acronym those of us who do not care for a certain "reimagined" show utilize (Galactica In Name Only).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old October 30th, 2019, 02:20 AM   #185
Croft2018
Shuttle Pilot

Cheers!
Croft2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 05:27 AM   #186
JLHurley
Warrior

I can't believe after all this time I didn't know what GINO actually stood for. That or my aging memory discarded it a long time ago.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 12:02 PM   #187
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

And just to clarify the two GINO references that were in that G80 reimagining. Baltar refers to Adama as "Bill", and then the "new" Galactica that is unveiled at the end of the story for the "Galactica 1981" sequel that never happened is identical to the ship from GINO.

Old November 3rd, 2019, 12:05 AM   #188
Yurien82
Shuttle Pilot

I´m looking forward to it.
Yurien82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:38 AM   #189
Jayworld
Warrior

While the Dynamite Annual featuring the Baltar story was well done, in my opinion, and I enjoy the classic comics just to have classic storylines to read (with exceptions noted below), I concur that it does seem that the Dynamite writers/editors really are not as familiar with the original Battlestar Galactica as they are with GINO, which is why we get so many GINO inferences throughout the "classic" storylines, whether that be in dialogue, character names, or others:

1. In the Death of Apollo mini-series, Apollo is depicted as right-handed. This is an immediate turn-off for me as a reader/consumer, and is proof that either they did not do their homework when crafting the story and layout, or they don't care. I passed on this series
2. At times, some of the cylons are depicted or referred to with names that hearken GINO. If the writers are honest, at the time the classic Battlestar took place in our real world on ABC television, there was (of course) no GINO, so they need to write the stories, dialogue, and characters with that in the forefront.

Part of me has always been interested in picking up the Classic BG mini-series "Starbuck," but due to the total misfire of "The Death of Apollo," I have been hesitant. Does anyone know if it is any good?
Old January 15th, 2020, 03:19 PM   #190
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If only Realm Press had succeeded. They truly "got" it, but sadly they didn't even leave a good legacy of issues to look back at since in their zeal to generate interest with "Issue #1" of something almost every storyline they did is incomplete.

Old June 6th, 2020, 10:12 AM   #191
BountyHunter
Shuttle Pilot

How was the BSG vs BSG mini series? I just ordered it.
BountyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 05:16 PM   #192
BountyHunter
Shuttle Pilot

Does anybody come here anymore?
BountyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 05:01 AM   #193
Jayworld
Warrior

Unfortunately, very few, Bounty. I come on here at least weekly, and judging by the stats at the bottom of the main forum page, there are a ton of members but actually less than 20 are active on the site, which is very sad. Some have said "try the facebook page, etc.," but facebook just doesn't hold a candle to this site. (I am a member of facebook and follow both the Classic BG site and the BG Mattel toy site). Regarding comics, my local comic book store had a 50 cent blow-out back-issue comic sale at the beginning of the month over 5 days, so I went early on a weekend (donning mask, etc.) and picked up Marvel BG #2 and the complete Dynamite BG Starbuck mini-series, which is VERY good, and I highly recommend it. It takes place prior to Saga of a Star World.
Old June 21st, 2020, 03:36 PM   #194
JLHurley
Warrior

I drop by Colonial Fleets around once a week but am usually not much of a poster...

Re: the BSG vs BSG mini series, I don't recall much beyond it didn't handle the number of characters very well. I'd approach it like I approach ANY BG comic series: Don't expect much and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 12:38 PM   #195
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

THe crossover was handled very badly I felt and had an ending that just left me *very* ticked off.

I occasionally try to post when the mood hits me. Because I'm about to dive back into some fanfic projects on the fanfic mailing list I'm part of (we had to wait a few months for someone else to finish a story; This is the "Virtual Second Season" project for which earlier stories can be found here at Fleets) that's going to have the "rising tide lifting all boats" impact of making me more interested in talking about Galactica in general so I hope to be a bit more active.

Old October 24th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #196
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It's not that I'm looking for another excuse to be critical of Dynamite's past work, but finally I've realized just why the group of stories written in 2013 through the "Death Of Apollo" storyline have such an......off quality to them. Collectively, those stories are intended to conform to the universe of the earlier 2009 "Galactica 1980" reimagining. Thus, the whole reason for a "Death of Apollo" story was to "establish" the world of the alternate G80 timeline and in this kind of set-up, there couldn't possibly be any room to show some legitimate character development of Apollo (or Starbuck for that matter. Consequently, Sheba and Cassiopeia are about non-existent in all of these stories and we get WAY too much of the "new" characters Xam and Dr. Madasa).

Old October 24th, 2020, 04:14 PM   #197
Senmut
Strike Leader

Sounds like another "put the stamp of my whatever" onto it.
Grrrr.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote