Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 18th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #1
jjrakman

Default What was Olmos really trying to say?

I think this is interesting. I was wondering what Olmos was really trying to say. So on a slow day at work, I spent some time trying to extrapolate his and Hammer's words from all of the articles we have available to try to reconstruct the event as best I could. I've dropped almost all of the reporters commentaries, and focused mainly on the quotes. It's interesting because it almost makes it look as though Olmos and Hammer are really at odds with each other. Anyway, here it is. See what you think.

Quote:
"I must say one thing and I will say this very clearly," Olmos told reporters. "If you are a real staunch fan of the original 'Battlestar Galactica,' don't watch this."

Hammer tried to change the subject. "Well, uh," she said, "my hope ..."

"We really don't stand true to the kind of characters that were built around the original," Olmos continued, "It definitely does break the mold. Some of the characters' names are the same but the reality is not the reality of the original. Not only because of Starbuck (who's played this time by a woman, Katee Sackhoff), but because we really don't stand true to the kind of characters that were built around the original."

Hammer, sharing the stage with Olmos, seemed stunned, "we've actually included [fans] in the process of developing the remake, through scifi.com online chats."

"I knew there was an original Battlestar Galactica but I didn't know anything about it. All of a sudden, my e-mails went through the roof. I've gotten some really strong, strong mail, as has Katee. … They're really bitter. They're very angry. And I know the They are adamant about moving forward using the first season as the premise and having continuing shows with the original cast. Sci Fi Channel wants to say that everybody's going to enjoy it. They're not. They didn't want this at all."

Olmos went on, " I would advise a person who has a strict belief in the original not to watch this program. It will hurt them. I want to give them the opportunity to not break their television sets, so I'm telling them straightforward, 'Please don't watch this program.' Buy yourself the new DVD they're putting out of the old episodes, and when we come on, just put that one in. Trust me. Don't watch because it will hurt. Just don't write to me, all right. I warned you. I was honest."

Hammer tried to joke her way out of the awkward moment, "Kill me now!"

"I'm going to be the first one to say it really clearly," Olmos continued. "Please tell your readers, 'Do not watch this program.'"

"I think we have a new marketing campaign for 'Battlestar Galactica,' " Hammer tried again.

"You can take it that way," Olmos said in response to Hammer's lighthearted remark about a new marketing campaign, "but at least that way you give them an opportunity to not break their television sets. Because people get really, really angry. They're not going to like the program. You've got to remember that this is a show that was only on . . . in the late '70s, and to this day has a very strong fan base. There are Tens of thousands of people who write to each other for 25 years over a program that is not on the air and is not even being rerun."

Last edited by jjrakman; July 18th, 2003 at 09:14 PM..
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #2
jjrakman

oops, thanks Warrior, it's fixed.

Last edited by jjrakman; July 18th, 2003 at 09:15 PM..
Old July 18th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

IMHO, he's distancing himself from something he fears will be a total turkey, in order to save his career. Period.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #4
jjrakman

Well he's definitely distancing himself from Hammer. That's for sure.

I was surprised though because when I put it all together, he really said alot more than any one of the articles reported. I mean, the seconds it took him to say all of this must have semed like hours to Hammer. He really wanted to drive home this point.
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I would like to think that there was also a nobler motive, Senmut. Sure, he wants the angry e-mails to stop, but he might also have been fed up with the "everybody is going to like it" BS Hammer was spooning out. If anybody knows that this miniseries is roundly hated, it's EJO!

That's why I thanked him for standing up and being heard, because of the possibility there was more to his speech than self-service. After all, his words put him at very public odds with his employer, but he said them anyway. That's a stand-up thing to do, when he could have kept quiet and saved himself a lot of trouble.

Am I wrong?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

I hope you are correct. Only time will tell.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:20 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default 5 Months

This is how long until the mini airs. Olmos is like all actors, praying that the product makes it to the airwaves. With the [/b]negative[/b] outcry of the fans it is looking dismal for the new show no matter what they say. If everything was so great as they reported then you wouldn't have Moore doing Q&A sessions or Olmos on a podium saying, "Don't hurt yourself."
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #8
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

On the one hand, he is saying that this is , not your Dad's Galactica, and on the other, he did speak to the fan-base directly. And he did say that were more than a couple dozen fans of a continuation. I guess that counts for something.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #9
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Thanks jjrakman for posting his quotes. I have read comments about this but after reading his quotes I find it very interesting.

At least he's been honest, and saying all this in front of Hammer definitely count for something.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #10
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

I find it interesting that his appearance at Comicon was suddenly cancelled due to an unspecified Latino festival. Hmmm....
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by Micheleh
I find it interesting that his appearance at Comicon was suddenly cancelled due to an unspecified Latino festival. Hmmm....

Did the festival take place in Florida?
Old July 20th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #12
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

I don't know. Richard told me, and he didn't have too many details at the time.
Old July 21st, 2003, 07:17 AM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I thought that Olmos attended the funeral for Celia Cruz who was considered "The Queen of Salsa." which was held this past weekend.
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM   #14
Laura Elizabeth
Bad Email Address

As I understand it, Olmos has always been a mover in the Latino arts/film community.

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-17732,00.html

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/r...509jul18.story

"Actor Edward James Olmos on Wednesday dedicated Los Angeles' Latino International Film Festival to the memory of Cruz."

Celia Cruz's funeral is at St. Patrick's Cathedral tomorrow, I believe. There's a viewing today from 12 - 9pm... that's from memory, I don't remember the exact details.
Laura Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 12:02 PM   #15
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

It probably was legitimate, but I'll bet Moore was glad not to have him there, just the same.
Old July 25th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #16
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Default What OLMOS was trying to say

What OLMOS was trying to say was that HAMMER
was not FAITHFUL to the series. Yes she had online
chats for the fans "INPUT" but obviously cared less
about what they had to say and more about what was
in her PEA SIZED BRAIN.

Whether or not Mr. Olmos was trying to save his OWN
career at least he was HONEST. As good of an actor
as he is .............he can get work anywhere.

You have to respect the man ......at least HE HAD the
DECENCY to say what HAMMER didn't have the GUTS too.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #17
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Default re: Micheleh ..."it was probably legitimate...

Micheleh It's a pity he wasn't THERE as he would
have been a welcome and excellent ALTERNATIVE to
MISCONGENIALITY!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #18
nightscape2112
Warrior

the only reason he made those statements was he wants the e-mail to stop. if there was not a strong backlash to the new bsg and him going to speak for the production and script, i dont believe he would have said the words.

unless we forget it was back when michael faries post the "happy happy joy joy" post.

Quote from Michael Faries, 11 march 03 http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...3315/320314/14

""Change" is the operative word here. How they change remains to be seen. I'm wondering if those changes will be done in time, or (for example) if some scenes will be filmed while others are reshuffled in the shooting schedule *as things change*.

So far, I'm "happy happy joy joy" over the "change" I'm seeing. It's not 100% pure bliss, but it's happiness to me right now. And I may yet grow even happier at what I'm hearing. You and I know that ultimate happiness would be Richard Hatch running the production; that is NOT the case. As a fan, though, the happiness comes from changes that are afoot. And I still believe both original series fans and pro-Moore fans will find some happiness in the mix. What's planned won't destroy the original series, as I'm understanding, unlike the complete replacement which the remake was going to do.

I'm not delving any further into this right now. There's too much going on... and some people aren't happy with the "changes." You literally have no clue how pissed off some folks are, nor what I'm risking by saying even these VERY vague things.

Then again, the original fans were pissed off when the remake news broke on April 2, 2002. ~"

remember that happy bit of news? then came this

then here is a quote from jjrakman, posted 28 march 03 http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/531/293

"On his official website he reports having signed to star in the new BSG production.

http://hometown.aol.com/mbeve10258/EddieOlmos.html

I'm suspecting that with the "back door" way in which TPTB work,he may be unaware of the general feelings of the existing fanbase. Maybe we should clue him in. Also maybe let him know that it's not personal, that we wouldn't mind if he played a member of the coucil of twelve or something, but that the existing production as it stands is unacceptable. Maybe even place his name on the boycott lis, to boycott any production he is associated with should he go through with Moore-Ron's vision, or lack there of. Point him to the bulletin boards, to the petitions, to the boycott site. Let him know of the general anger over this production.

Mr.Olmos' address:

Olmos Productions
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Old Animation Bldg. 1G2
MC 1803
Burbank, CA 91521 "

Here is a reply from Michael Faries in that same topic, http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/531/293/3

"Honestly, everyone, I don't see Edward James Olmos changing his mind. He strongly supports the production, the producers and the script. In fact, he's gone to bat for the production in-person at Universal.

Voice your opinions anyways. Hopefully they won't fall on deaf ears or closed eyes.

Michael"

i like olmos and respect his choise. all i see in the press conference is someone wanting pissed off people to stop writting him. i have only sent one message to him, and i dont think it is "hate" mail more like disappointment mail.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote