Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Default Original Cylons - and I mean Original

Hey, all - in response to a special request, I had the recent opportunity to do up a quick schematics treatment for the original TOS lizard Cylons based on the intro footage from the telemovie "Experiment In Terra" (seen here). These diagrams are to be used to build a fully modeled CG rendering. Enjoy!

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Original Cylons - and I mean Original

AWESOME great to see some new material ...

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #3
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Awesome! I wasn't expecting that!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Reminds me of the Gorn from Trek.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Thanks much, all! Yes, I had to take some liberties in certain areas, especially with the back-side which is all but obscured in the old video, either by tattered capes or what appears to be WW2 German helmets (!)

I wound up using, yes, Gorn parts as influence for the missing areas, along with snapping turtles (sans shell) with a bit of Sleestak thrown in for good measure. Glad you all like it!
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #6
gmd3d
Major

I like your approach to it . I would have loved to have seen the original Cylon been explored in the original show some how

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

now that is SWEET! I love how you used both real world reptiles to complete the work, but also Other SciFi influences! Especially the Sleestak. Perfect for something like this!!

Good show!

I would have loved it too, but with it saying the Organic Cylons having been extinct for 1000 yahrens, it's tough to have them appear suddenly.

Although, in some fan fic I've outlined for myself to write, I've crossed over the Original V Aliens into Battlestar. Stating that a small group of original cylons escaped from the Centurians (just like the Rag Tag fleet did).

Having seen their creatiosn rise against them, They turned to Genetic engineering to make themselves more "Human like" (the show stated they modeled the Centurians after Humans since they were more adaptive). And the final result are the Aliens you saw in the miniseries.

The Saucer of the V Series can be seen as an advancement on the Basestar design. Both having a gravimentric type propulsion (at least that's how I describe it) Witht he Sky Fighters of V showing the technoligy being advanced enough to be used on smaller craft. As we know Cylon Tankers and Radiers were using more traditional propulsion systems then the Basestar.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #8
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
now that is SWEET! I love how you used both real world reptiles to complete the work, but also Other SciFi influences! Especially the Sleestak. Perfect for something like this!!

Good show!

I would have loved it too, but with it saying the Organic Cylons having been extinct for 1000 yahrens, it's tough to have them appear suddenly.

Although, in some fan fic I've outlined for myself to write, I've crossed over the Original V Aliens into Battlestar. Stating that a small group of original cylons escaped from the Centurians (just like the Rag Tag fleet did).

Having seen their creatiosn rise against them, They turned to Genetic engineering to make themselves more "Human like" (the show stated they modeled the Centurians after Humans since they were more adaptive). And the final result are the Aliens you saw in the miniseries.

The Saucer of the V Series can be seen as an advancement on the Basestar design. Both having a gravimentric type propulsion (at least that's how I describe it) Witht he Sky Fighters of V showing the technoligy being advanced enough to be used on smaller craft. As we know Cylon Tankers and Radiers were using more traditional propulsion systems then the Basestar.
Interesting Idea ...

I don´t believe it would have been difficult to reintroduce them you answered one way it could be done yourself or during the revolt a group of the original cylons escaped as you say or left stranded some where.

thats what I like about sci-fi anything is possible given a decent reason

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #9
jjrakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post

You know, if you could go with the idea that when the V aliens left their homeworld, it was before the machines took over. If the visitor's ships aren't equipped with lightspeed (don't know if they ever addressed that) and they came here with cryogenics or some other slow moving technology, they would be unaware that their civilization is essentially dead, and would be shocked to find the Cylons are now the masters of their homeworld.

Thanks Gebirg for the blueprints. Not sure when I'll get to it, I have some work study stuff to do over the summer, but I plan to pick away at it here and there.

Also, I think someone told me that the original reptilian cylons made their way into a comic book? If so, are there any pics of those images online?
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #10
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Most welcome!

And yes, Chris Scalf did a mini series of comics back in the late 90's, IIRC, featuring these original reptiles with upgraded scanner eyes. The books also described the beginnings of the first Imperious Leader when the reptiles were still running around. Here are a couple of pics. There are many more but I haven't had a chance to scan them in and they're packed away and buried under a ton of stuff. But these will hopefully work for now:

Old May 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM   #11
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Got a PDF scan-in of Chris Scalf's Dark Genesis story. It is, in a word, awesome.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I have a hard copy of Dark Genesis, and I consider it to be a must read for anybody wanting to understand the connection between the "Imperious leader" voice, Count Iblis, and the Cylons campaign of extermination.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM   #13
jjrakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
Got a PDF scan-in of Chris Scalf's Dark Genesis story. It is, in a word, awesome.
Thanks man!