Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old December 18th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1
Rowan
On Vacation...

Heart Share your Christmas Traditions

Since I have only shared Christmas with my parents and sister once in the last 18 years and don't have a family of my own I would like to vicariously experience your family's traditions at Christmas for anyone who would care to share their memories. ...please?

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
and presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Rowan can't say that we have many Christmas traditions in our house, But it is the one time of the year the we all spend time at the dinner table, as we did as kids. even my younger brother would spend the time making small talk while eating then after dinner vanish out with friend for a few drinks (a couple of barrels really).

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Rowan, we usually like to put on Christmas music and decorate the tree, while munching on Mystic Mint cookies. Although I have gotten lazy in my old age so I let my family decorate it now. But I did put up lights outside and inside.

Hmm.. traditions? Well, being a daggit, I usually urinate once or twice on the tree, just to make sure no other daggits steal my presents...

(Actually, NO one wants my presents after that )
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Hmm, what do we do? Well, for starters we prepare ourselves to gain weight. It happens, no matter how much we try to prevent it. For Christmas Eve dinner, we abstain from meat and follow the tradition of the Feast of the Seven Fish (although we haven't quite reached 7 fish yet). We have Bacalai in a tomato base with carrots,onion, and celery; fried smelt; fried pollock; and spaghetti with anchovies. No sauce but yes, anchovies. ( Use about 3 cans of anchovies for every 2 pounds of spaghetti and saute the anchovies; drain the spaghetti noodles; then, mix the anchovies including the oil, with the spaghetti noodles.) It's a bit salty but, oh how I love it. btw, I can't stomach anchovies on pizza.
We do have some non-fish eating folks and we provide pasta and meatballs for them. Also, we have a few side dishes, bread, salad,etc.

After dinner, we retire to the game room and open presents. It's pandemonium! For the little ones, we usually hide a few gifts (because Santa is bringing those) and put them under the tree after they have set out a treat for Santa and gone to bed.

Christmas Day, we have a feast - my mom loves to cook for an army so, we have turkey, ham, pasta, sides and salads. And loads of nut, poppyseed, and apricot rolls!!

All in all, we just love being together - that is most cherished present of all. We recall the happy and sad times of the past year and hope for the best in the upcoming year.

Thanks for this thread, lil sis!

Merry Christmas to All !!
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #5
julix
Bad Email Address

bst ...
you have to be Italian or part Italian...yes???because my family does the backala too and it is a long-standing italian tradition. Lost of seafood the night of Christmas Eve for us...but I am one of those who does eat seafood so my grandma(the most wonderful) always made the spagetti with the marinara for me and some of the other grandkids. I have wonderful memories from childhood of family getting together and lots of eating and yelling just like how italian families are portrayed(except for the mafia) with lots of emotion and passion and fights and then hugs...etc. I wouldn't trade it...they do tend to drive me crazy but I guess that is part of it too. For now, the one tradition we have with the kids is to play christmas music while we drink hot chocolate and decorate the tree. we also have a night when we drive around the neighborhood and see the lights.
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #6
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

julix,

Yes. 1/2 Italian; 1/2 German, Scotch-Irish.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #7
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
julix,

Yes. 1/2 Italian; 1/2 German, Scotch-Irish.

BST

I am half-italian and half spanish!!!!!!
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

An annual tradition that is now 20 years old in my family continues tomorrow with a trip to New York to attend the Sunday before Christmas service at St. Thomas Church on 5th Avenue where a Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols are presented featuring their Men and Boy Choir, one of the most renowned in the country.

On Tuesday night, another Christmas in New York tradition continues with my tenth straight participation in an audience sing of Handel's Messiah at Lincoln Center. It is always wonderful to see so many attend and take part in this each year.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #9
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I'm an American.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #10
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
I am half-italian and half spanish!!!!!!
I'm half retriever and half chihuahua!!! -->
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #11
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
I'm half retriever and half chihuahua!!! -->

but you are all wonderful!!!!
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #12
bsg1fan1975
Major

Ok heres one of my family traditions that was handed down from our late Irish granny. In my family on Christmas Eve, the children in our family are allowed to open just one gift that night. It started as a bribe attempt to get us to bed so that Santa would come quicker. My sister continues the tradition with her kids and my older brother used it with his ex-wife's grandchildren and when I have kids I will do that with them.

Another tradition we used to do when I lived with my parents was we always decorated the tree together. Mom and Dad set up the tree and strung the lights and then we kids put the ornaments on the tree, I often had to help my baby sister when she was younger with reaching the top branches, as Dad did the job of checking to see where there was spots that needed an ornament or two. Mom and I used to put the garland on last as Dad did minor readjustments to lights or the garland.

I'm sure that my dad is going to inspect my handiwork Saturday with my tree and tell me where I could have covered something or added something.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote