Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:08 AM   #151
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Seeing the scripts would be kind of fun. The variations in dialogue the actors spoke, or the last-millicenton changes scribbled in by whomever.
Probably the change from 'The Last Legend' script or outline idea to 'The Living Legend' script. Is that what you mean!

Quote:
The question you asked was "When is Hanczyk going to put up the rest of the scripts????" Whether intentionally or not, this came off as being dismissive of what is there, which is a lot of hard work effort he and a lot of people have put into that site over the last eight plus years, and seemingly taking him to task for what isn't there. If Robert had an unfilmed script at his disposal that he could post, he'd do it. Don't get on him for not having that, and somehow suggesting (intentionally or not) that the site is lacking for not having it, because that's how it ultimately comes off.
Well thats not how its meant or comes off, so go back and read it again! No one's getting on anyones case. Learn to deal with upfront questions and not see everything as a rude question o.k. Since that script isn't about, i was asking upfront if it could be put up wasn't i. If not by me then someone else would have.

Shessh.

KJ
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #152
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

I can't remember what I ate for lunch today but I remember the first time I ever saw this episode 26 years ago. Excellent.

To me Cain was a cross between Generals Patton and MacArthur and Captain Ahab from Moby Dick. I would have loved to have seen Cain return but not as a replicant (like the new show's cylons remind me of from Blade Runner). Hopefully that Season 2 ep killing off Sheba and replacing the Pegasus crew with androids was just idle talk and if the show had been renewed maybe word of that would've gotten out and fans would've complained. Then Larson wouldn't have done anything like that

Anyway I remember being 10 watching this ep for the first time and my dad and I laughing when Baltar tells Lucifer that a single battlestar is no match for 3 baseships. It got better when Baltar decided to lead the attack. I can still hear my dad telling me that Baltar was going to see the Pegasus himself.

Great battle scene. Baltar looking kind of cool and silly at the same time wearing that cylon helmet. I think he did ok leading the attack by going for the Galactica's landing bays. And of course I'll never forget (and I always love watching this scene) his face. One minute he has this evil grin and he's actually saying goodbye to the Galactica. Then annoyance as the cylon pilot/copilot(?) interrupts him. And the startled look as he turns to yell at the cylon only to shut up mid word as he sees the Pegasus. I love that shocked look just like I like Commandant Leiter's face when he sees the Galactica's landing bay for the first time in Greetings from Earth.

I think Baltar did the right thing sending the other 2 basestars forward to defend him from the Pegasus. They are supporting ships and his is the flagship (of his fleet). Imperious Leader would've done the same thing.

Over a year ago my dad asked to see some scenes from the series. Baltar seeing the Pegasus was of course one of them. That's still his favorite scene of the series 26 years later too.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #153
KJ
Strike Leader

Cool

i'm still trying to find those Pegasus survives fan movies on the net. I have two but i've heard there are more out there?

Fans sure do love the Living Legend storyline.

Pity the telemovie version wasn't on the DVD as it's longer and has several scenes from both the DVD deleted stuff and more.

Type Battlestar Pegasus or just Pegasus into your search engine and see what comes up?

KJ
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #154
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason

ABC killed something that had a international fanbase that was very strong even in 1979 going on into the 1980's.

KJ
If you read the interview with Glen Larson in early 1980 form Starlog magazine I believe. You will find out the Larsen put an end to BSG, not the network. The ratings were nowhere low enough to warrant ending the series. Even at the time it was the most exspensive program being made.

Why did Larson kill it? Simple. His dream was misunderstood by the masses. From the way they talked about the spacecraft even NASA said were the only ones of that sci-fi era that would really fly. Cant remember the school, but there are papers written on the BSG shuttle design.

When 1980 came out. All was lost to Hollywood.

A professor friend of mine told me they should never have gotten to earth. Tis not the place you end up thats important, its how you get there that is.
Bojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #155
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
A professor friend of mine told me they should never have gotten to earth. Tis not the place you end up thats important, its how you get there that is.
So true Bojay.......sounds like that professor of yours knew what he was talking about
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #156
KJ
Strike Leader

True, but even so. By the time the Colonials get there they would have found Earth. plenty of stories could evolve around how do they contact their 13th tribe brothers and sisters? What shape are they in? Even when the reach Earth will the Cylons get there and destroy them all.

The journey definately counts and after many seasons i feel the stories still could have continued. Remember the 'battle' is never ending. Seeing the 13th Tribe (Earthlings) fight along side the Colonials to take on the Cylon Empire is another possibility when the Galactica reaches Earth is it not?

Galactica was bigger in scope than Larson could have ever dreamed of. It's not that people misunderstood his vision, it's that everybody else watched it and took it to the next level and saw the possibilties of the characters and storyline for themselves.

Blaming the masses is a no no. When will somebody in old hollywood actually stop passing the buck and take responsibility and fest up, either blame yourself or the networks that messed around with your vision. Blaming the masses? Yeah everybody but you eh Larson? guess larson wil blame the masses for more or less, half his TV shows for failing in their first seasons.

KJ
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #157
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojay
If you read the interview with Glen Larson in early 1980 form Starlog magazine I believe. You will find out the Larsen put an end to BSG, not the network.

That's a new one on me. I would buy him ending G80, but not BSG.

I'll dig through a friend's old BSG info (including what I believe to be every Starlog article ever on Galactica) and see if I can find what you reference, but any more detail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #158
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Because of matters surrounding a certain other series, I've been revisting more the nature of the conflict this episode gives us between Adama and Cain, and it amazes me how on a fundamental level this story holds up so well all these years later.

A lot has been made of Cain as a MacArthur or Patton in space, but it occurs to me more and more that Adama in this episode is reminiscent of another WWII general, in this case Eisenhower. Eisenhower was always the commander who had to be concerned with political niceties and the bigger picture of things that an impulsive commander like Patton could often lose sight of. And Eisenhower had to relieve Patton once as well, despite the latter's brilliant successes because Eisenhower had to play politician as much as he had to play general.

Yet even amidst that, the respect and belief in the common good both generals represented, overruled everything else in their conflicts over approaching matters. And that ultimately is why LL works in terms of seeing this character conflict even as both men at heart still manage to think quite highly of each other.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #159
Airwolfnight
Bad Email Address

Its my favorite episod of Battletar Galactica.
Airwolfnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #160
Senmut
Strike Leader

Adama also reminds one of General Omar Bradley. "The Soldier's General", deeply concerned with the lives of his men, not spending them needlessly, and less with military glory.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM   #161
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

True, but Bradley was not a man with a gift for politics in the same way that Eisenhower was and later proved to be as a civilian leader, which I think makes Ike the more appropriate counterpart for Adama.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #162
Wildcard

this ep should be not only considered a BsG classic but a TV classic, and the novelization is even better! this is the franchises peak for all intents and purposes.

the battle itself has been debated many times at SD.net and SB.com and I have gamed it out with friends many times. But it is the breaking of old relationships(Adama/Cain)as contrasted with the creation of new ones(Apollo/Sheba)that make the ep work so well.

and a huge thank you to Lloyd Bridges for breathing life into what could have been a one dimensional martinet of a characther. You made Commander Cain truly unforgettable
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #163
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Default Re: BG-08: The Living Legend

I'm watcing this episode today. It's one of my absolute favourites. I agree about the missile launches. Very impressive.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote