Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Hanger crew

So Yesterday I got a couple hours modeling time and decided to work some on the hangers for the vipers on my Battlestar interior model. Eventually I'll have some crewmen moving around down there going about routine tasks when this runs in Cryengine. But I dont yet know how many AI characters I'll need down there.

So what I'm curious about is how many people would be working in the viper hangers? What I have right now is a lower viper hanger deck below the landing deck. this hanger deck is divided into 4 hangers with 20 bays each allocated for the vipers. Thats 80 vipers each side, which is 160 total.
Each viper has its own parking / maintenance place, which will include tool boxes, carts, diagnostic machines, ladder, workbench etc...

How many technicians should there be? Right now I'm thinking 1 tech assigned to each viper (maybe 2 techs) a few squad leaders and a chief for each of the 4 hangers, with 1 person in charge of the entire hanger deck.
This is only for lower hanger deck personnel, not the launching bay crews or the landing bay crew.
Would workers not be assigned a regular ship and just operate from a pool? I can see the ups and downs of each system.

Does this seem like too many, too few, or close?
I'm thinking I'd like to know whats the breakdown on an aircraft carrier, or possibly a ship that carries a lot of helicopters. Of course BSG isnt an earth Navy but input from anyone with experience in this area would be helpfull.

I can afford a couple dozen AI characters on-screen at any given time no problem, and in this newer version of the viper hangers I have it arranged so that no more than 4-6 vipers will be in the players field of view from any position at once. This will allow for a fairly detailed set without impacting frame rates too much.

For those who dont know or are just joining us, I have been working on a BSG game/simulation/interactive story using the Cryengine3 realtime game engine (used in Crysis2 and Crysis 3). So far I dont have a whole lot i can show the public yet other than models and a couple youtube videos of Landram driving tests. The game engine has undergone major changes in the last three years, and is reaching the point where it is fairly easy to use even by non-programmers. My own progress has been slow, but the puzzle pieces are all starting to come together nicely (when I have time to work on it).
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Hanger crew

Stills? Screen captures?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:53 PM   #3
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

anything in particular you want a screen cap of ? Most of my work is a little mixed up right now, and I'm trying to re-organize everything.

I'm getting a little closer to having something people can download and interact with, but its still a little way off.

The three things I have worked on most recently are the shuttle interior, Centurion, and Battlestar viper hanger deck. I was planning up finish up the bridge, but the game engine was updated recently and Ive shifted my concentration to a demo game level on the ground.
Hopefully things will go okay with my new business this year and I'll be able schedule some regular time each week for some un-disturbed "personal artistic expression". its a lofty goal, but achievable. And if that does happen I'll be able to get a whole lot more done.

If there is anything I've mentioned before that you want some images of, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

awesome to see your back at cgi as much as you can..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Senmut
Strike Leader

Pretty much anything. It all sounds good.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #6
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Hangar crew

Not quite an answer to your question....
The only two hangar crew workers that I know about are Corporal Lomas and Jenny.
At least, I guess the guy's name is Lomas. Bruce Wright played one of the hangar workers in one of the episodes and was a corporal in the episode "The Man with Nine Lives."
Lomas never appeared in any of the novelizations. Rather, there was a woman named Jenny in the books and did all the work that Bruce Wright's character had in the TV episodes. I don't remember if there was ever a description of her, other than that she was stockily built.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Didnt know that Lomas was hanger crew, thought he was a regular warrior like Jolly, Greanbean or Giles.
Old March 7th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

I thought Lomas was the guy who got whonked by the Nomen?
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Yes thats the one.