Notices
Galactica and Fleets News ADMIN ANNOUNCED, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and
COLONIAL FLEETS NEWS
ONLY please.

Old November 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Default New BSG book coming out?

Somewhere Beyond The Heavens: Battlestar Galactica by Richie Levine and David Criswell.

http://www.signingstars.net/battlestar.htm

Found this over at BSG.com.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the find, Jim.

Part of the book should be interesting, anyway.

Think I'll just wait till it arrives in the book stores.

This reminds me....a buddy of mine, who's also a member here, showed me a notice about a Firefly 'companion' book coming out. I'll check Amazon and post something back here, shortly.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Firefly Official Companion Vol 1

It came out on September 1, 2006.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Look at the author names and you will then realize that this is just a repackaged version of "The Unofficial Battlestar Galactica Companion" that came out several years ago, and which was unfortunately lacking in terms of its less than professional quality. The stuff pertaining to TOS is likely unchanged and all that's different now would just be more on a certain other show.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #5
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Firefly Official Companion Vol 1

It came out on September 1, 2006.
Have it, waiting for Vol 2 to come out.

Jim
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #6
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I recognized "Levine" but, not "Criswell". Maybe the mind is playing tricks on me .. don't know.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #7
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Look at the author names and you will then realize that this is just a repackaged version of "The Unofficial Battlestar Galactica Companion" that came out several years ago, and which was unfortunately lacking in terms of its less than professional quality. The stuff pertaining to TOS is likely unchanged and all that's different now would just be more on a certain other show.
That's why I added the [?].

Jim
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I've got my copy of the old book in front of me. Criswell and Levine, and the Hatch and Larson intros are undoubtedly the same.

The chief problem I had with this book was that it looked like something run off at the local Kinkos.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #9
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

More info.

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 05, 2006

SIGNING STARS PUBLISHING ANNOUNCES THE OFFICIAL RELEASE OF SOMEWHERE BEYOND THE HEAVENS: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Battlestar Galactica fans, this is your lucky day! Signing Stars Publishing is pleased to announce the official release of Somewhere Beyond The Heavens: Battlestar Galactica by Richie Levine and David Criswell. Somewhere Beyond The Heavens: Battlestar Galactica is over 500 pages packed with information on ALL of the Galactica series'. You'll be treated to a foreword written by creator Glen Larsen, an introduction by Richard Hatch, the ONLY comprehensive look at all four incarnations of the series, interviews with the cast and crew of both the original and new shows that will give you an insider's glimpse at every aspect of this unique series, a breakdown of terminology and the original meanings of each character's name and of course, photos, photos and more photos.

The book officially hits the market on December 10, 2006, but as an exclusive to Battlestar fans, Signing Stars is releasing 250 hard cover editions worldwide. Each of the 250 will be author-signed and numbered and will be accompanied with a certificate of authenticity. This is an exclusive to Signing Stars Publishing and will not be offered by any other source. The first 100 people ordering the hard covers will also receive a bonus gift specially designed to go with the book. There will NEVER be another release of the hard cover edition and you only have until December 1st to place your order. Soft covers of the book will also be available but the book will not be listed on any other retail outlet until February 2007. If you’re a Battlestar fan or know one, you’ll definitely want to have a copy of this book.

To view the cover or to place an order for the special edition, please visit Signing Stars at http://www.signingstars.net/battlestar.htm

Judith A. Moose, President
Signing Stars Publishing
judithmoose@signingstars.net
Jim
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #10
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

More info on this book.

Quote:
Let me introduce myself. I am Richie Levine, co-author of the book that is being promoted on your board.

Let us clear up a few misconceptions that have arisen:

1) This book is NOT a piece of fiction. It is similar to the Battlestar Galactica Companions.
2) This book has a foreword by Glen Larson and an Introduction by Richard Hatch and was originally published in 2003 as the BSG Unofficial Companion. It remains the only book to have Larson's direct okay.
3) This book is the only authorized book to have pictures and interview with Tom Desanto, who provided them for the fans and exclusively for this book. I also have the only in print pictures permitted by Richard Hatch of his Second Coming Trailer and book releases.
4) The book has 18 chapters, 2 appendix and pictures unavailable anywhere else. It has taken awhile to incorporate the new show and to clear permission from Mr. Moore to use information and interviews as well as from the cast. It includes trivia, season episode guides and above all else information not found elsewhere.

I repeat this book is not a solictiation. It is an actual release that is supported by the originial cast and the new cast as well as Tom Desanto. It was put out in 2003 and pulled down in 2005 to being to incorporate the new series.

I can answer any and all questions for you if you have any. The hardcover edition is limited and for the fans of the series who want a true collectible. Please look on amazon.com if you have any doubt about this book, as it was known as the BSG Unofficial Companion. It is a real book and is a companion book to all versions of the series.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion. You can always send an email to me at richielevine@jmmediagroup.com if you need to know more specifics about what is happening. I will be on a radio station tomorrow for promotion the book, www.ksav.org at 8pm PST. Call in and let me know you are out there.

As for the series it has 4 incarnations:
The original 1978-1979 season
The Richard Hatch Second Coming Trailer
The Tom Desanto failed 2001-2002 FOX Project
Ronald Moore's Reimagined series.

I do not include BSG 1980 other than Return of Starbuck in the book for obvious reasons.

Somewhere Beyond The Heavens is over 500 pages and a RETROSPECTIVE.

Thanks guys and gals,

Richie F Levine
Jim
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #11
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I hate to say this, but I think the book is ultimately being a bit less than thorough if it won't even cover the matter of G80. From a purely informational standpoint, it's important to have the full story of what happened and how this came to be out there in a book that seeks to be comprehensive, and unfortunately that approach I don't think speaks well of the overall thrust of the book, especially when it then decides to incorporate that other show into the new version of the book.

Old November 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #12
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

CLASSIC Galactica=Rodney Dangerfield=No Respect!

Jim
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I kind of hesitate to say this, but I noted something that kind of bothers me....

The reference to the Tom Desanto/Bryan Singer BSG series has the word "failed" in it. It wasn't a failure, it was basically "unproduced" You really can't list the series as failing when it never really had the chance to perform.

This is the same kind of inaccuracy that I found in the "Companion" book when I read it a few years ago.

I also agree that a true retrospective would include Galactica 1980 even though the show is looked down on by a large part of BSG fandom. If a BSG retrospective can include the new series, surely there's room for G80 in it.

My guess is that the inclusion of the more recent additions to the BSG lexicon is to sell more books - this really is little more than an updated version of the book sold a few years ago.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote