Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 14th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default OT: Christopher Reeve

Actor Christopher Reeve can breathe himself for 15 minutes at a time today, thanks to electrical implants in his diaphram.

Apparently it returned his sense of smell and the first thing he did was smell the coffee!

Christopher is an inspiration to all with his determination and bravery in his constant battle against near-impossible odds.

A super man indeed.

Regards,

Peter
Old March 14th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Captaindev

The procedure is experimental, so that leads me to ask if he got the surgery because of his condition or because of his celebrity?
Old March 14th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #3
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

One thing is certain: If it was someone other than a celebrity, it's unlikely we would have heard about this breakthrough. I have to wonder how many others have underwent this procedure (echoing Kakaze's thoughts).

He is indeed a role model and hero, though. (He's on a list of inspirational individuals - "heroes" - which I keep. Lords know, there are so many inspirational people out there, and so few whom are actually known.)

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

The man IS an inspiration, and no doubt uses his determination and high spirits to overcome these challenges in his life now. Whether or not celebrity or his celebrity! was used is a speculative debate. People should stop questioning celebs just because of who they are or might be?

I hardly think in Christopher Reeve's position fame? is on his mind considering his current condition. Whatever he has got, he is using it, to bring to attention the breakthrough's of science and medical achievements made to help others in need and those less fortunate or even raise money for special causes like this to ease suffering!

He is hardly in a position to fight for causes by playing it Safe! If he is using celebrity I'm sure he knows it, before you even thought of thinking it. So good on him USE whatever you have got and use it to help others, who don't or do not have the same recognition or voice to pled the same case and fight for them cos their are No rules that say you have to fight FAIR in your position!

Yes it good to hear the man is making waves, and is still got alot of spirit and fight where others would have given up hope. Inspiration is all he has and look what he does with it!

What more can be said.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Just some info:

From what I hear, this is the third time this has been tried. The first time worked but needed addtional surgery. The second didn't cause that patient had previous damage to the nerves that activate the muscles that allow breathing.

Before he was having air pumped in through that pipe in his neck. That or he could try to swallow and gulp air down on his own for a few minutes. His nose was bypassed.

The precedure has the possibility of working 24/7. But right now they have to be careful they don't dmage the nerves which cause the diaphram to contract.

right now there are 35 patients waiting for the procedure, They have the funds to try this on 5 more patients.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Ever see the Nuveen commercial Darrell? It was broadcast once durig the superbowl.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

But the commercials are the best part of the Superbowl. *Runs back to her cave to hide*
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #8
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Smallvile Episode

I saw the episode with Reeve and was impressed with how they both honored and payed tribute to him. They even played the music from Superman.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #9
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

I saw Chris on Larry King Live back in November. He said that he's also able to move his shoulders a little and move a couple of fingers now. I think about how I could've been in his position now after I was struck by a car last summer. I was lucky. I had a few scrapes on my face, a slight concussion, and a sore back for a week. Must be my guardian angel looking out for me and good karma.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote