Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #61
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkyte
Your incredible hatered for Whedon is really clouding your rational, my friend. If the show really lost as much fans as you stated it really would not have lasted nearly as long after the 4th season as it did. No doubt that ratings went down, but again people were still watching. For me Angel was meh to begin with, and got interesting later on, and became a little too convoluted in the end, BUT it was still interesting. Again, it was his creations and they lasted pretty decently in todays short attention span world. Whether you liked the end product or not, enough people did to keep it going.
That's because during S4, S5, and S6, Greenwald was still around at ME to do SOME quality control. The moment he leaves completely, is the last season of Buffy, and really also the last season Angel. Angel only got another season by the intervention of Fox saying the price would go down to WB so they could have the show reach a close 100 episodes so it's more easily marketable to syndication. The moment Greenwald leaves, it's over.

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

3D Master's Story Homepage
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #62
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Instead of focusing on a sequel, or a continuation, why not a prequel, with a retelling of the fall of the Colonies, after all, that really IS the most exciting point in the time line. I admit, I really LOVE to see the combat and the struggle, the drama is nice, but then I watch NASCAR to see the wrecks. hahahahha
BTW my favorite driver Kasey Kahne is second overall in the NNC standings woo hoo!!!!!!!

tabbi
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #63
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

A prequel would be totally unacceptable for me. If there is somthing to be done with the universe of TOS, then I want resolution to an interrupted storyline that's been left hanging since 1979 and nothing less. The "combat" and "wrecks" is not what I think of first and foremost about Galactica, it's about what happened ulitmately to Apollo, Starbuck, Sheba, Boomer, Cassie etc. and while a continuation need not be overly devoted to settling those plot threads, it *must* address them in some way or else it's nothing but a cheat from my standpoint.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #64
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
A prequel would be totally unacceptable for me. If there is somthing to be done with the universe of TOS, then I want resolution to an interrupted storyline that's been left hanging since 1979 and nothing less. The "combat" and "wrecks" is not what I think of first and foremost about Galactica, it's about what happened ulitmately to Apollo, Starbuck, Sheba, Boomer, Cassie etc. and while a continuation need not be overly devoted to settling those plot threads, it *must* address them in some way or else it's nothing but a cheat from my standpoint.
In addition to that development of story, I alwayys wanted to either read or see the (fictional) history of the RT fleet at large. I don't mean the members of the quorum or the occasional convicts, but of the ordinary people caught up in the caravan across the stars. Those are the people I thought would always be the unreported but most interesting members of the twelve colonies.

We always hear about the Nathan Longs or William Shermans in the pioneer epics but we never read or hear about the Samuel Elliotts or the Thomas Brazaeles.

http://www.forttours.com/pages/warren.asp

You never know how close, General William Tecumseh Sherman came to being scalped, until you learned the history of the Kiowas, do you?

As always;
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #65
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Three's an entire franchise universe to explore *in addition* to the continuing exploits of our favorite battlestar and her crew
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #66
jjrakman

I actually wouldn't mind a prequel so much, but I would fear that they would be tempted to have it focused on another Battlestar, or during a time already explored in the series.

If they were to do a prequel, what I would like to see done is a sort of Winds of War style Miniseries detailing the very beginning of the Reptilian Cylon Empire, how they became machines, up their eventual conflict with the Hassaris and Mankind.

Old March 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #67
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I think theres a place for it.

tabbi
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #68
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If there is to be a place for it though, it can not IMO be at the expense of a storyline continuation of TOS. Without that, then nothing meaningful from my perspective has been achieved.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #69
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Overall, I do not like prequels.

The main reason -- you already know the ending.

Now, while I'm 100% in favor of a continuation story, I wouldn't mind seeing a series of flashbacks to a time prior to, or during, the 1000 yahren war, in order to help fill in some of the gaps in 'history'. But, NO prequel.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM   #70
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Overall, I do not like prequels.

The main reason -- you already know the ending.

Now, while I'm 100% in favor of a continuation story, I wouldn't mind seeing a series of flashbacks to a time prior to, or during, the 1000 yahren war, in order to help fill in some of the gaps in 'history'. But, NO prequel.
Is there any room for any other surviving battlestar or fleeing Colonials that might have escaped, besides the Galactica and the Pegasus, or has canon slammed that door shut as a possibility?

As always;
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM   #71
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Another Battlestar ?

I think the whole appeal of the Pegasus was that it was such a surprise another had survived.

But for a third to have survived, it would become a bit Star Trek were every character has died and come back to life at some stage.

However, another Warship to have survived of a lesser class than a Battlestar....that might be possible....
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:06 AM   #72
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles
Is there any room for any other surviving battlestar or fleeing Colonials that might have escaped, besides the Galactica and the Pegasus, or has canon slammed that door shut as a possibility?

As always;
Yeah, I've come up with a scenario that a battlestar from the Colonial shipyards (a replacement for the Rycon) made it out and headed out there somewhere.

It's logical to assume that they had some sort of shipyard in a secret location and that with the destruction of the Rycon and the Pegasus (although in had in fact survived) they would need to build at least two more battlestars because the fleet was under strength.

I was going to call the battlestar Damocles but now I'm thinking Hyperion after one of the Titans.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM   #73
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Yeah, I've come up with a scenario that a battlestar from the Colonial shipyards (a replacement for the Rycon) made it out and headed out there somewhere.

It's logical to assume that they had some sort of shipyard in a secret location and that with the destruction of the Rycon and the Pegasus (although in had in fact survived) they would need to build at least two more battlestars because the fleet was under strength.

I was going to call the battlestar Damocles but now I'm thinking Hyperion after one of the Titans.
I would definitely agree that naming the battlestar after a Titan is more appropiate than calling it after some Greek sycophant of poor judgement who lavished false praise on Dionysius the Tyrant of Syracus.

If we were to stick with the constellations though; you could try those of the southern hemisphere:

Crux, the Southern Cross
Centaurus, the Centaur
Argo Navis, the ship of Jason and the Argonauts
Carina, the keel of the ship
Eridanus, the River
Pavo, the Peacock
Dorado, the Swordfish, and the Large Magellenic Cloud

I like the Battlestar Carina myself.

As always:
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #74
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble

Wasn't there a new Battlestar called Millenia? ...oh wait... that was Don's animation
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM   #75
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Wasn't there a new Battlestar called Millenia? ...oh wait... that was Don's animation
Never seen it, didn't know anything about it until you mentioned it.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #76
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I believe ernie has it linked on his fan films site.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM   #77
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

...and it has everything you mentioned- Secret hidden shipyard, new battlestar to replace old ones...
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM   #78
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Cool, I'll take a gander.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #79
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Well, I'm thinking with Don's modelling skills now as compared to then, he could seriously up the ante if he were to ever do a part three.

I liked the "heavy shuttle" design.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #80
Apoptygma
Bad Email Address

As someone who has been involved in the entertainment field I think I have a pretty good idea of what Richard has gone through over the past 20 years or so. Here's someone who got pretty damn close to the top of the mountain and then next to nothing for 20 or so years ... pretty damn discouraging. Sometimes the only way to kick the door back open is to take the bull by the horns yourself, invest some of your own money and create your own financial backing. I've done it myself, got pretty fracking close to my goal and then ran out of steam, energy and got tired of the financial drain. Bottom line is if you want to get somewhere in the entertainment business, on the production end at least you need a large team, to spread the work and energy over and a seven figure budget.

I don't believe Richard ever intended to get control over the rights but to get someone with CASH excited to take it to the promised land. I for one am very happy to see that Mr Hatch at least got some of the scraps of the table from his efforts. I'm sure he is very excited to have some screen time and to get some financial return on his investment.

Just remember, the reason "us" fans don't get things the way that we want usually come down to pure finacials. We'd probably bankrupt the franchise by doing things "right" and the "way they should be" from a story/plausibility standpoint. Good thing we don't get our way and have to pay the bills.... everything what ultimately happens, or more likely does not happen comes down to cash ... not a bombshell I know but it is sadly the stupid truth.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM   #81
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Millenia is a great fanfilm, and thank Warrior for refering people to my site.

It was missing two things though - A Part 3...and....the second N (Millennia!!!!!)

I think fanfilms are the future. Richard proved something knockout can be made with The Second Coming. Sept17th is probably going to knock us out again. As are others hopefully.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:32 AM   #82
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I think prequel is exactly the way to go simply because it opens doors for other characters and ideas. In my story I write about the colonial training platform forced to return as an operational battlestar. The idea, that a ship, like the missouri, could come back, after being nearly mothballed, to again take on the enemy and restore her name and glory, its like the ship itself becomes a character. Thats something lacking in GINO and saddly, i felt lacked a bit in TOS. I would welcome the invitation being sent out to writers, Give me your ideas, let us come up with spin off series, it worked for Star Trek, it can work now.

tabbi
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM   #83
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I understand there is a prequel audio fan project underway...when the time is right the people concerned will tell us more. And certainly it will be welcome on my site,

I have to 100% disagree with you on the Star Trek example. When they were considering which series to go with, I hoped it would be Excelsior as a Continuation of the highly successful film franchise, and there was huge fan support for that series.
When they announced it would be Enterprise...I was uninspired. It didn't "work" for Star Trek it got the who franchise cancelled !

I'm always interested to hear/see fan endevours...including a prequel. But my heart is with a Continuation including the original cast.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM   #84
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
I think prequel is exactly the way to go simply because it opens doors for other characters and ideas. In my story I write about the colonial training platform forced to return as an operational battlestar. The idea, that a ship, like the missouri, could come back, after being nearly mothballed, to again take on the enemy and restore her name and glory, its like the ship itself becomes a character. Thats something lacking in GINO and saddly, i felt lacked a bit in TOS. I would welcome the invitation being sent out to writers, Give me your ideas, let us come up with spin off series, it worked for Star Trek, it can work now.

tabbi
Sorry, but no.

Continuation is a priority while the majority of the cast is still alive and well. IT WORKED FOR STAR TREK.

A prequel would just be a bonus thing. ENTERPRISE DID NOT DO TOO WELL.

Why are some people so against seeing the original cast reprise their roles in a continuation, anyways? IT WORKED FOR STAR TREK.

What's their true motivations?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM   #85
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"because it opens doors for other characters and ideas"

But what of those of us who just aren't interested in "other characters" but want to find out what happened to the characters we'd come to identify and bond with so long ago? A prequel shuts them out entirely and leaves those of us who want to find out if Apollo became commander, if Starbuck ever learned about Chameleon (a plot point that can be resolved in but a sentence if Starbuck as an aside says to someone, "You know it's like my father, who was a bit of a con man in his day, used to say....."), or if Apollo-Sheba and Starbuck-Cassie came together etc. still hanging. No thank you!

Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM   #86
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I don't think Tabbi(or others here) have a motivation to see the original cast left out.

But I do think its misguided(no offence intended) to pull in the opposite direction to what we have strived so much to accomplish. I think it confuses the issues, and shows an indecsisive fanbase at a time we need to be united. Saying it "worked" for Star Trek is trying to back up a view with an example of failure.

Then again its a democracy and I respect people's right to express their views, ideas and hopes. I just don't agree with them.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #87
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Saying it "worked" for Star Trek is trying to back up a view with an example of failure.

I would have to respectfully disagree on this. The Star Trek continuation was hardly a failure. Six feature films of various successes as well as a "Continuation" series lasting seven years, in the form of a new generation with spot appearances by the original characters, hardly qualifies for a failure.

It may not have been what everyone wanted, but it did okay. To call it a failure is somewhat disingenuous.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a prequel and have some ideas for such an event, as it is a wide open universe to explore, much like Star Wars and Star Trek possesses. But first AND FOREMOST, as many of you, I want to find out what happened to the characters I learned to love and enjoy. So many questions unanswered, that NEED answering!

Malkyte
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #88
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Malkyte - sorry I haven't been clear. I was refering to Enterprise as the failure. Star Trek was mothballed because of the failure of a prequel series which was uninspiring in my view.

To clarify....I LOVE the Kirk movies, and enjoyed a lot of The Next Generation. They were not failures.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM   #89
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Enterprise was a PREQUEL, and wasn't that good.

When I said Star Trek worked, continuation wise, I meant Star Trek, not TNG, not DS9, not Voyager, not the prequel Enterprise.

Star Trek continued with its original cast in the first 6 movies, and it worked

So that brings me back to- Why do so many people NOT want to see a continuation with the original cast by tossing out ideas of prequels/remakes as the way to go?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM   #90
jjrakman

Quote:
Why do so many people NOT want to see a continuation with the original cast by tossing out ideas of prequels/remakes as the way to go?
Because some people have a very deep and irrational hatred of 70's hair. I really don't know.

For me I'm never really interested in any remakes at all, that all pretty much suck. And I don't want to see prequels for the most part, unless they're very well done and stick to established show cannon, unlike Enterprise. But I definitely do not ever want to see the young Adama or a teenage Starbuck.

Closed Thread