Old November 8th, 2002, 12:03 PM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default BG - "Poseidon's Fury"

[This is the result of rendering between 2-4am after staying awake with my baby. To wind down, I actually decided to sit down with 3D Studio Max 3.1 and Photoshop 5.5 for a while, open a blank window and just start rendering/doing post-work on a whim. This is the result.]

"Poseidon's Fury" (Pre-"Saga of a Star World")

The Colonial battlestar Poseidon returns victorious from the Battle of Altura -- but other Cylon forces have blocked the return path to the Twelve Colonies. This image demonstrates the Poseidon's Viper squadrons (post-launch) as they maneuver head-to-head with Cylon forces. Let your imagination do the rest. Maybe someday, I'll do a series of battle images.

(Sorry for the lack of Colonial support ships in the picture. We can assume the Poseidon is the sole survivor of the Battle of Altura.)

Kudos to Dave Kerin for the Colonial battlestar, Colonial Viper, Cylon Raider, and Ralph McQuarrie-inspired Cylon Base Star, all of which are available via free download on both BattlestarPegasus.com and Colonial Fleets.

Additional special thanks to Steve Wilson.

Michael
:colwar:
...who's surprisingly awake and alert this morning. And still needs to do a couple of other images which have been in the back of my head for a while.

Last edited by michaelfaries; November 8th, 2002 at 12:06 PM..
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:29 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Poseidon. Sounds familiar.

Paul
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:31 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Nice composition Michael. Really like the planet.

Hope the little fellow is alright.

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Hi,
Great image. Just in time also. Saved Lt's Cain's and Adama's butt.

Paul
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #5
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I like it but I would like a little more light to show where they are comeing out of, my eyes are so bad it all looks black.
Glad you are enjoying it, look forward to seeing more work, I have some meshes you could use hehe
Steve
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #6
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
Poseidon. Sounds familiar.
Great image. Just in time also. Saved Lt's Cain's and Adama's butt.
I'm familiar with your terrific Cain stories, as you know. Do you have battlestar Poseidon stories as well? (I chose the name last night at random. I was leaning towards Triton or Acropolis. Poseidon felt right.)

Btw, the use of the Ralph McQuarrie Cylon basestar (to imply an older version) along with "newer" Raiders, Vipers and battlestar was intentional. That way, you weren't limited to a strict timeline.

A fun contest idea: An artist posts a picture. The participants provide their story concept to describe it. The winner gets his name added to a refresh of the image.

Quote:
Originally posted by stevew
I like it but I would like a little more light to show where they are comeing out of, my eyes are so bad it all looks black.
Glad you are enjoying it, look forward to seeing more work, I have some meshes you could use hehe.
re: darkness. I could blame it on creating the picture in the early A.M. (and having half-closed eyes)... hehehe The darkness is intentional, probably moreso as it was comforting to my strained eyes as I worked on it. Bright colors/contrast in the early A.M. would have likely "burned" my eyes. (lol)

re: meshes. Let the real fun begin...

Quote:
Originally posted by peter noble
Nice composition Michael. Really like the planet.

Hope the little fellow is alright.
Thanks. We had our first major storm of the Fall season on the U.S. West Coast yesterday. The wind and rain kept waking him up.

Michael
Old November 8th, 2002, 02:17 PM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Hi,
No. I don't. is there a web-site?

Paul
Old November 8th, 2002, 05:50 PM   #8
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

I know there used to be a dedicate web site for battlestar Poseidon out there. It no longer functions. (My image is unrelated to their site/ship history anyways.)

I forgot, too: Shawn L. Scialo wrote some fanfic around a battlestar Poseidon as well.

Michael
Old November 9th, 2002, 02:27 PM   #9
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
I know there used to be a dedicate web site for battlestar Poseidon out there. It no longer functions. (My image is unrelated to their site/ship history anyways.)

I forgot, too: Shawn L. Scialo wrote some fanfic around a battlestar Poseidon as well.

Michael

Hi,
He isn't the only one. I have started a new story about Cain's first command. His junior officers are our heros only with lower ranks. Enjoy.

Paul
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:12 PM   #10
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Michael:
what you can do between 2-4 a.m.—Yeesh! —I'd be lucky to figure out in a month, though I are strictly 2-d. Love the cockpit detail in the vipers. What is it you really do for a living again? Type handling nice, would like name of the font in head above the paragraph copy, if it's not true type only (please?)
jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 08:16 AM   #11
MaxKaladin

Default Another Poseidon

Michawl, Thanks for mentioning my Poseidon endeavor. I just viewed your "Poseidon's Fury" imaga and my first thought was, "Heeyyyyyy, mannnn!" (LOL). If anyone is interested, "Battlestar Poseidon: War for the Colonies" can be found in it's entirety at fanfiction.net. I've gotten sidetracked on other Galactica stories but Commander Ares, Captain Nova and the rest of my crew will be returning soon in Battlestar Poseidon II: Conquest of Kobol and Battlestar Poseidon III: The Gods of War. Also, I am in the earliest of stages preparing my own Battlestar Poseidon website. In the meantime, maybe I can get Michael to post my Poseidon on BG.com? Anyway, I really like the "Fury" image but it was really dark on my monitor.
Old November 19th, 2002, 08:20 AM   #12
MaxKaladin

Default Typing not a strength

Ok, I'm red-faced. So, I'm not the worlds greatest typist. Never thought to proof-read a posting! Sorry, Michael...not Michawl! Oh, and "imaga" means image in Shawn Scialo speak.
Old November 19th, 2002, 11:17 AM   #13
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Default Re: Another Poseidon

It's great to see you here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Scialo
Also, I am in the earliest of stages preparing my own Battlestar Poseidon website. In the meantime, maybe I can get Michael to post my Poseidon on BG.com?
Just send me via e-mail a text file with the stories. I'll convert to .pdf format and post. I hope other BG sites will carry the stories, too.

Btw, if you need some help with your web site, let me know. Lords know I spend more time working on side projects/helping others than working on my own sites. (grin) There's a lot of talent online that would likely contribute, too.

Quote:
Anyway, I really like the "Fury" image but it was really dark on my monitor.
You should see it on my UNIX workstation monitor then. (LOL) (It's very, very dark on this end. )

Michael
Old November 19th, 2002, 11:26 AM   #14
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Michael:
what you can do between 2-4 a.m.—Yeesh! —I'd be lucky to figure out in a month, though I are strictly 2-d.
Inspiration/creativity comes at all hours. Not that there's enough time to capitalize on it... (lol)

Quote:
Love the cockpit detail in the vipers. What is it you really do for a living again?
David Kerin gets the kudos for the cockpit detail (as it's his mesh). I agree: It's fantastic.

Quote:
Type handling nice, would like name of the font in head above the paragraph copy, if it's not true type only (please?)
jewels
The upper right title font: Trajan Bold
The paragraph font: Aero
The credits font: Meta
The Battlestar Galactica logo: GalacticaBats (freeware font)

And in all cases, TrueType fonts. (sorry!) Even on Linux/UNIX, we're using TrueType fonts now. I have mixed feelings, but at least my font collections aren't outdated.

The image, btw, was created on a Windows workstation. I know, I know... further insult to injury. And Apple's HQ is less than 10 miles from my house.

Michael