Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Will Glen get his credit?

When the mini-me series airs I hope to God that Glen A Larson gets the credit – based on Battlestar Galactica created by Glen A Larson.

He deserves it. And if he doesn't he should sue!

Regards,

Peter
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:41 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default IMAX Pegasus

I hope he does a movie about Cain and it makes millions.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:59 PM   #3
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default He'll get a credit

Legally he has to get a credit. More importantly to Glen I'm sure, he'll get a check. Which is why we haven't heard anything from him about the mini-series.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:06 PM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I "wonder", would the royalty check be a % of revenue or would it be a flat fee? (If it's a %, he'll probably have to add to it to get a cup of coffee at, uh....., Starbuck's!!

Side note: maybe he would take a little less, or nothing at all, to be left out of the "Credits" for this monstrosity!

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM   #5
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Personaly I don't think Glen will get a check, if he does then he has the artistic right to stop the production, which he cannot do. No this re-imagined Battlestar is to cut him out along with the old fans.

It looks like SciFi went shopping for a writer who wanted to do a complete rewrite/re-imagine. Found Ron Moore and let him run as long as he agreed to avoid using anything created by Glen. This is what we are getting.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:06 PM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Or rep:
do you think the deal Uni. cut with him was "your name stays on it, you get a check, but you have no official OK over TV?"

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:30 PM   #7
Rhade
Bad Email Address

Default Re: IMAX Pegasus

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
I hope he does a movie about Cain and it makes millions.
I'd definitely pay to see that!

I think he has his hands full right now with his Knight Rider movie project, but maybe when he's finished that and the Moore Mini is a thing of the past, he'll turn his attentions back to the Pegasus.

So many stories still waiting to be told.

Rhade
Rhade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:32 PM   #8
Rhade
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
Interesting question, since everyone from SciFi and all the Moore fans are calling it "Moore's Battlestar Galactica".
You mean to say Battlestar Galactica existed before Ron?

Rhade
Rhade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Won't this issue of rights bring up the age old Leslie Stevens debate. should he or shouldn't (his estate) get credit although he is, no longer with us. i'm sure many fans include him in the process of creating Battlestar Galactica as well. Whether he waved his rights to Larson or not is debatable, many say BG was more BG before Larson fiddled with the pilot and series?

Well what do you think:

Battlestar Galactica created by "Glen Larson and Leslie Stevens"

As a future onscreen credit!

KJ
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:24 PM   #10
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Jewels,

Finally had a chance to get back here, the script just reeks of lawyers. I have spent too much time with that group recently, I can almost hear the expensive suits rustling as they shuffle through the script, and smell the breath mints (all lawyers must have mint fresh breath). Personalities have been inverted or split like a banana sliced lengthwise, things only a legal mind would dream of doing.

Starbuck is a good example; even Ron Moore knows female roughs do not do well with audiences. They come off like a woman try to be a man, very limited appeal to a very small audience. So if Starbuck is a Larson creation how do you have the character without crossing into copyright problems? Easy says the lawyer invert the gender, if male make it female, now you have a whole new character with the same traits, problem solved.

We also need to remember this is Moore chance to prove he can write and produce on his own, independent of the well-defined Star Trek universe. But the thing that clinches it for is Moore turning his back on the fan base. Where is Universals marketing people, they should be reviewing every utterance Moore and Eck make. How is it they have been allowed to be so antagonistic towards us? Simple the Sci-Fi legal department feels there is no alternative to the path taken, so they are now looking for ways to shut us down and make us go away.

To quote Bonnie Hammer, the objective is to “Preserve the Franchise.”
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:28 PM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Ya know old KJ has rased a good point, the Stevens family might just have a say in this. The copyright law changes do encompase Battlestar Galactica and if they can show that he originated the concept then could veto the current production.

Sonny Bono may have done us a favor after all.