Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old May 1st, 2003, 04:14 PM   #1
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Default The Hulk

I know there will be lot's that disagree with me but the effects used to make the Hulk in the Hulk movie, look phony to me.

My wife said it best; she said that it looked like Shrek on steroids. LOL

There were some shots in Spiderman that didn't look real to me neither but it was such a great movie, I really didn't mind. Maybe the Hulk will be that good too. If not, then I will be looking for his sidekick the donkey. lol

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:23 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

You crack me up OWD. Some of the Spiderman effects were done by our own HOBB. I plan on catching Spidey this weekend on HBO.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:50 PM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Strange how people or BG fans now mock the Spider-Man movie effects considering they were done by John Dykstra who did both Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica jaw dropping SFX effects!

Strange irony i sense, Kingfish is right after all. Guess my Spider-sense is tingling!

KJ
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:02 PM   #4
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Yes you guys are right but to me there are still CGI being done in movies that are suppose to look real but still look some what cartoonish. I'm not dissing CGI because I have seen a lot of great CGI and most of it off the 3DGladiators.

I didn't mind so much the swinging from side to side in spiderman even though I could tell that it was CGI but the scene where he dose a back flip of a bad guys shoulders, looked really phony to me. No mater though because I thought that in the preview but once I seen the movie, I liked it so much that I never even noticed.

I never knew that there was CGI done to some of the actors in Blade 2 but I could tell right away that it was done in this one fighting scene.

I guess that there is this Chinese company that bought the rights to do a Bruce lee CGI movie and I guess that it's going to be the realest looking CGI movie to date. I also know that it's about budget. The final fantasy movie, that had many scenes that made me look twice because of the realism, was said to be done with less authentic scenes because the money wasn't there to do what they could.

OWD

OWD
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:41 AM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

I understand OWD, i too hate too much CGI there should be the right combination of SFX in a fantasy/sci-fi action movie. Nightcrawler's CGI agility, teleporting and tricks in X2 outdoes Spider-Man agility somewhat by comparison and the Spider-Man movie only came out last year. (CGI advances somewhat in one year heh)

Personally even the old Ray Harryhausen's "Sinbad movies and Jason of the Argonauts" still hold up with the old and incredible "Stop Motion effects". Let not forget like last year only better, this year has more MUST SEE movies which have tons of eye popping effects?

Matrix Reloaded

Return Of The King

Underworld

Peter Pan

Timeline

X-Men 2

The League of Extrordinary Gentlemen

Hulk

Spy Kids 3D

Terminator 3

Daredevil

Jason Vs Freddy

and more! all have CGI and all will be talked about this year.

KJ
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:19 AM   #6
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Yes you are right again and I make it a point to collect Ray Harryhausen's movies.
I love those movies. I know that eventually CGI will get to the point where we won't be able to tell if it's real or not. If it was up to me, until that day arrives, I would be a little pickier about the scenes I use it for. Most scenes that it is used for , are fine but some like that flip scene in Spiderman, should have went the same way as the Matrix and did the wire cutaway to different camera angles thing.

Heaven forgive me but I'm looking forward to the Jason VS Freddy movie. It's a throwback to the good old days when monster movies started to cross over and this one has been long over due. I don't know much about it but I hope they don't count on the title to bring the people in. I hope they have a half decent writer and director. The last Jason movie wasn't too bad but the one before that had to be one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.

OWD

OWD
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

I know, i was watching the "Jeepers Creepers" movie on TV last night. Not that the monster won angle, didn't ruin it. But the hold ending was bizarre? Jason Vs freddy ain't got my high hopes, but it will be of great interest to see what happens in it though.

Heh, i must remember to get "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger", "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad", "Clash of the Titans", "Jason and the Argonauts" and more Ray Harryhausen movie to my DVD collection!

KJ
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:03 PM   #8
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Have you seen the latest Hulk trailer tho?
The teaser trailer used early effects footage.
The refined stuff looks 200% better.

Seamless applications of CGI are already in most movies.
It is overt stuff like in sci-fi fantacy (especially characters) that it is easy to pick out. And even then they are ususly done in such a way as they are not jaring.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:31 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

YEP i just saw it an hour ago. Wow constant upgrading of the CGI SFX. HULK is coming.

KJ
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:04 AM   #10
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kingjason
Nightcrawler's CGI agility, teleporting and tricks in X2 outdoes Spider-Man agility somewhat by comparison and the Spider-Man movie only came out last year. (CGI advances somewhat in one year heh)

KJ
Korn Fan 2 did a lot of the work on Night Crawler. As a matter of fact he was pissed at Bryan Singer because he was all set to go back to New Jersey when he was called back to work to tweek Night Crawler.

Bryan Singer wasn't too happy with some of the effects at first.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote