Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old October 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Default Star gazing

Last night, as I drove home from the gym, I had the top down on the Jeep, it was cool and the rain had swept away the smog. As I left the city, taking a trail I had seen on a drive up to Flagstaff a few weeks ago, I pulled over into a rock formation. I dont know why, but I just turned Rocky (my Jeep) off and got out, walking around.
I was a good five miles off the highway so I took a hike around the rocks, listenning to the sounds of nature and feeling the cool air on my arms. Above me was the sky, filled with stars. I recalled the theme from Firefly in my mind. They cant take the sky from me.
I found myself feeling so alone, but not like I do when Im with other people. This was a different kind of alone. The kind of alone I felt was more like the feeling you get when you come home at the end of the day to an empty room.
I took off my jacket and sat down, thinking about why I would feel like I had come home, in the open desert. Yes, Im a nature girl, I like to hike, and climb, and swim. I SCUBA dive in San Carlos or off the Catalinas, and surf when I can (Im hardly a surfer girl though). I love the ocean, and the desert, to me they are just different sides of the same coin. Both teem with life that you cannot see unless you know where to look. Both are beautiful, but deadly as can be if you dont take care.
I laid back and looked up at the sky, the stars were shining brightly, in a way you who have never been to the deep desert will NEVER know. It is a beauty beyond description. The mountains frame it like God's masterpiece. There are no clouds, typically, and the air is clear and still.
I was easily able to pick out the star formations my daddy taught me to find, one was out of sight this time of the year. I tracked the positions where planets should be had I brought my telescope with me. Then it occured to me, I AM home. I often dream of one day getting into a rocket and just going out there, leaving everything behind. But God gave me a rocket, big enough to take it all with me. And I felt relaxed. That moment I felt more relaxed than I have ever felt. The coyotes were howling, the crickets were chirping, a little road runner was even looking into the brush looking for some tasty treat. It was wonderful to be both, at home, and an alien. To these creatures, I was the strange alien that roars by and sometimes stops to toss a scrap to them. And I was also home, a child of the stars.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #2
bsg1fan1975
Major

I love when I go home to rural Wisconsin where my family still lives and the peace you have out there and the stars are so much clearer than they are here in the city.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #3
TopGun
Strike Leader

Sometimes I hate living in a City
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Breea
Bad Email Address

I live out in the mountains....my backyard, when I turn my floodlights out..there's not a light close by so I can sit on my towel and look up and the stars or watch the early morning sunrise as it comes over the mountains...I love the country.
Breea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #5
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Just back from the gym again. Im tired. I dont know why I bother anymore, its not like I will ever get to the olympics. I used to bench almost 200, now I can hardly handle 175. And before I could hand bounce (jumping up half round off to come down on ones hands and then bouncing on them as many times as you can) in twenty sets og seven, now Im down to ten sets of ten. My strength is going from not having a coach, and no gym time. That kinda sucks. Im sure that God has a plan for me, and that theres a reason why my body is changing in ways Im not thrilled with, but right now its a mystery. By theres no time to worry about it anymore, on to the next thing. Spend a little time here at the office, pretend to work (there are few walk ins in this area of town, Scottsdale doesnt have that kind of traffic) so I just check people in, check them out, and try to look at pretty as a cow like me can.*Sigh* Well, more to come, I like talking about the stars and the desert nights.

tabbi
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Breea
Bad Email Address

Tabbi,

I can just imagine how beautiful you are...because your eyes and heart see the good in people and that's what makes you not only special in our eyes..but in God's eyes as well...

To slowly get to know you has been aninspiration to me...God gave you a very specoal gift and do you know what that is??? It's the gift of love because..with every breath you take that's what you show all of us..Love, kindness, compassion and the joy of just knowing you as a friend.

Breea
Breea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #7
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Um.. gosh... dunno what to say... wow... um so like Breea, your so awesome, Im glad you take the time to read my tripe. Thanks. I figured I was on more ignore lists than the anyone! Still, in all honesty, the spot light isnt my place, Im the kinda girl that likes to stay to the side and let the truely extraordinary people have the attention, people like you!
Im just offering words, electronic tripe that is read then forgotten. Im just a poet without a message. I get my view of the world from people like you, and Don and Bryan, and all of you here. I listen to what you say, I really do. You may wonder one day what this was all for, but I tell you, its making at least one persons life more complete that it was. Its sometimes hard to imagine just a year ago that I would have missed all this. Its hard to imagine that my life would never have known you and everyone here. Sometimes its hard to go on, but then I think about Commander Taggart and his silly jokes, and Bryans words of wisdom, of Dons courage to stand for what he knows to be right, of your courage, yes Im in the medical field, I DO know what a biopsy implies. I consider the words you all offer each other, of the love, the bond, the family you have. It balances me.
In an insane world, sometimes the hardest thing is to find something to call normal. This is my place to go to find that. I spend far more time here than I probably would have, had Don not dropped the GINO side, it brought out a fire in me, it charged me with a purpose. I felt ALIVE. Not bad for a girl that was almost dead a year ago. So yes, you are the guiding light for me, my northern star. I follow you all here, and dont think that if ANYONE ever attacks CF or anyone here, that I wont be there for you, if you look back for someone to help and dont see me, its only because Ive already charged past to attack back. Nobody is ever gonna hurt my family again! NEVER! Last time I couldnt do anything about it, but here, even a shrimp like me can lay into a giant and make them regret their birth.
I love you all, your my new family.

Tabitha
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Its evening in the desert, the stars are out, and the air is cool. From my favorite spot I can look down into the valley and see the lights of the city. If I look away, it is the blackness of the desert. Off in the distance, the mountains, Four Peaks, and others look like Gods hand, cradeling us in His palm. Its comforting.
I will probably go there tonight, I will probably stand on the rock that thrusts up like a podium, as if that is the place to go to talk to Him. Then I will sit on the hood and listen to music and let the day drift away from me. Then it will be back home, and tomorrow it will start again. I hope you all have a special place to go when you need time away. The world is a great place to be, but sometimes we all need a break from it. Next summer I will return to the beaches and the diving shops, I will do all the things I can do in the summer. But it is winter here in the desert, and it is football season, and I have obligations to fulfill. Life sometimes takes work to enjoy, but I think that life, no matter how hard it is, is better than the alternitive.

tabbi
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #9
bsg1fan1975
Major

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun
Sometimes I hate living in a City
yeah the city light blocks out the stars.

Tabitha,

you'll never have to worry about being lonely in this place.

Old October 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #10
Zenislev
Bad Email Address

I hate city life.... darn light polution....

However... I have been around the globe a few times, and been to wonderful, clear skies area's, and had spent hours at night gazing into space.

I guess thats how I got into Sci-fi, but still, I'd swap this town for any place with a good starry veiw!
Zenislev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #11
bsg1fan1975
Major

I love star gazing even when I am on trips away from lights. Its so dark that it makes the stars stand out more.

Old October 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #12
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I wonder what it must be like to star gaze on a space ship, knowing that the star formations you see are likely to change every day.. that must be wonderful

tabbi
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #13
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Ever wonder if the stars get lonely? They sit in the cold of darkness, all alone except for the few moments we look up and wonder at them. It might be like the flower in the field of flowers. Its whole life is spent so fast, and the one thing that can make its existance more fulfilling, is to have someone smile and take in its beauty. Are we really then so different than the flowers or the stars? We spend our lives only wishing that someone would simply look upon us with delight and smile. Our existance would be made that much greater by simply knowing that we were appreciated for simply being what we are. To me that is all of you, you are my rose buds, simply beautiful because I get to see not only what you are, but what you will become.

tabbi
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #14
zankoku
Shuttle Pilot

Tabbi, someday in the fall, take a friend out to the Peralta Trail and hike the trail to Fremont pass. (Plan on an over nighter and take 5 gallons of water each). When you hit Fremont pass, you will be looking at Weaver's Needle. From their take the trail to the left and follow it down to a place they call Pinon camp. At night you will be looking at all the stars in the world and you will think you are in a Celestial Dome. Breathtaking. You can't get this view even north of Payson.

Jim

www.geocities.com/zankoku1946
zankoku is offline   Reply With Quote