Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Sweet list of info there CaptainHawke, thanks for keeping us informed as to some others that slipped by my notice.

I'm really looking forward to seeing 'Sin City 2', 'Ronin', 'The Spirit' and 'The Watchmen'. Not night of the Watchmen, think you've confused that with the Keanu Reeves film with a similar title though. As Watchmen doesn't have Keanu Reeves or Forest Whitaker in it! Also the first Hellboy film came out in 2004 not 2006?

Although i've got some serious comments and opinions on the current state of the comic book films coming out and those in early development!

Superman: Man Of Steel. Is a movie i wish Warner Brothers got to work on, as i don't think many people are really crying out for a live action movie based on the Justice League. unless it were to be a animated version from the former TV series that recently came to an end. X-Men 3 The Last Stand proved way too many heroes and villains spoil any movie based on a comic books and it isn't easy to juggle all those a-list actors in colourful superhero costumes with a competent plot for 2 hours, people have trouble believing in one superhero in a suit and suspend their disbelief. Another issue is the originality of any new stories, long after the Richard Donner Superman movies, why is it the filmmakers can't move away from Lex Luthor and General Zod characters as the only villains who pose a threat? Zod only chance at a comeback should've been in Superman Returns, i truly love the character as a dangerous badass, but it about time we all saw all-new villains like Braniac, Mr Mxyzptlk, Parasite, Metallo, Intergang, Darkseid and possible Mongul make an appearence, retreading old ground after nearly 30 years is not good? Is it any wonder Superman Returns got such a bad reaction, i liked it but the general consenus wasn't too happy though.

A comic book movie based on Ronin is a sweet deal i must say, but since Frank Miller's only pleased when he films his own comic book material these days and does it justice and when not dealing with negative hollywood egos (look up the Robocop 2 and 3 massive re-writes history that he had with hollywood at one time) and who can really blame him. Expect this to have Franks involvement in come capacity despite his busy workload, as i see Sylvain White keeping true to the graphic novel but with possibly Franks involvement. Even if sharing ideas over a phone/mobile while busily working on his other film projects.

A Magneto movie sounds good on paper, but does Magneto have his own comic book series like Wolverine? Hmmm, a film adaptation might be great regardless, but i hope there's no Juggernaut or should i say 'Ram-Man' who escaped He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe and got a part in X-Men 3 for some reason turning up in the Wolverine flick. The return of Sabretooth might make a fella interested in both flicks but he'll probably only be in the Wolverine movie instead though? Spider-Man 4? nope not interested, think the series of movies became seriously messed up with obsessions of what villain would appear, which is why Venom appearence in Spider-Man messed up that film completely. DVD sales of that film aren't a measure of success to me, nor was the hype of it neither. The Spider-Man 4 movies aren't like the comic books unfortunately nor do they have a real soundtrack, which is why unless the have any real substance to them, they're not something i'd fret over anymore.

I'm also curious about the new Hulk and Iron-Man, Hellboy 2 and Dark Knight movies. But i'm also on the lookout for non-superhero movies too. Those in in pre-production and those just about to be released sometime in the future.

CaptainHawke have you by any chance heard of anything relating to the 'Books Of Magic' movie that was said to be coming out, based on DC/Vertigo comic book series created by Neil Gaiman and John Bolton on the boy wizard Timothy Hunter! Heard it too was in development, as of yet nothings come of it or been reported about it officially.

KJ
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #2
CaptainHawke
Warrior

This is all I have on it:

Books of Magic – May become a movie now that Swedish directors Simon Sandquist and Joel Bergvall have signed on to helm the pic, says The Hollywood Reporter.

"The comic, about a bespectacled teenager learning magic in contemporary London, is seen as a precursor to Harry Potter," the trade said, kindly.

Comic writer Neil Gaiman will executive produce.