Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > New Twists On Old Episodes
Notices
New Twists On Old Episodes Share views on what changes you would make
if YOU were remaking the Original Series episodes

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978 11: The Man With Nine Lives

This thread will be for discussion on changes etc. on adapting episode #11 "The Man With Nine Lives" and conforming the story to a continuous season arc storyline.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Not much to say about this ep, it's nearly perfect. Except, would a Nomen actually fit into a Viper cockpit?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Spike The Cylon
Captain

If I was to redo this episode, i'f go more into the back story of the nomen. They seemed not quite human, and I'd like to know more about how they ended up in the fleet.

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

They just seemed like nomadic desert folks to me

Their features, such as the large brows, are no different than how different races of people here on Kobol...whoops! I mean Terra.... errr Earth even, look.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I remember they mentioned Borallis in the pilot. If the Nomen hailed from there was never explained. The Hatch books gave them greater depth. The Nomen hate technology and are doomed to die because there are no females for them to mate with. I guess a human female couldn't take the stress.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I did this story by combining both "Man With Nine Lives" and "Murder On The Rising Star" into a single story. That way I could keep Chameleon around for when Starbuck gets charged with murder and put him in the dilemma of whether he should tell him the truth.

As for the Nomen, I too hold to the "Borallus" theory and that Nomen are what might be called the hard-core Fundamentalist militant types who inhabit the planet. Their presence in the Fleet is best explained by the fact that (1) there were Borellians living in the Colonies either as ambassadors or working (you can picture Nomen hired by rich colonists as henchmen) (2) they were rounded up among the survivors and were not able to return to their home planet beacuse as the pilot established, Borallus was too dangerous a place to stop at and (3) this would naturally produce some resentment among some Borellians who are never going to see their home planet again.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

BORALLUS "Saga of a Star World" - Sire Uri and Adama argued over Borallus as a stopping point for fuel and supplies.

BORELLA "Baltar’s Escape" - Borella is evidently the home planet of the nomen. It's impossible to say from the information given if Borallus might possibly be the same planet.
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The beauty of doing the stories as adaptations is that you don't have to hold yourself to those slight differences in name and can just go with the simpler solution if it creates a tighter, more effective story overall.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

That's true. As long as the link is made to the original storyline, how you run with it is up to the imagination.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I prefer to think of them as two names for the same planet, ala in our REAL world, Earth and Terra.
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #11
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Okay, starting with this episode (where I was helped in a couple scenes by Sanna Guerin, co-moderator of the Galactica fanfic mailing list), I decided to do some major overhauling for the sake of creating a bigger, more ambitious story. This meant combining both TMWNL and MOTRS into a single story which gave me the ability to keep Chameleon around during the events of MOTRS where he should be concerned about his son being up on a murder charge, and also it gave me a better chance to set the stage for why Charybdis decides he has to murder Ortega, and how he goes about planning this (I had already introduced Charybdis and Ortega in the Saga adaptation and this gave me a chance to bring an old subplot to completion, in keeping with the idea that the episodes should be reimagined in a way that allows for this greater sense of continuity and epic sweep).

Some alterations of note:
-Chella, the Pyramid dealer who plays a big role in MOTRS is introduced in TMWNL as the Pyramid dealer at the table where Chameleon introduces himself to Starbuck.

-I expanded on the nature of how do the Borellians live in the Fleet? The freighter Borella is where they live, and I decided that the Nomen are not the only group of people from that planet who live there. That in fact they are a minority sect much like Shiite Muslims are the minority sect of that faith in contrast to more secular Sunni Muslims. Thus, the leadership of the Borellians in general is headed by someone from this more secular class, who is more open to cooperating among the Colonials in friendship (for his backstory, I made him the Borellian Ambassador to the Colonies at the time of the destruction) and this is something that displeases hardcore Borellian Nomen who favor separatism and the desire to start a culture of their own based on the principles of their Code (just like the Iranian Fundamenalists wanted to set up an ideal state in 1979). Thus, the Borellian Nomen conspiracy that Chameleon got caught up in involved a plot to assassinate the Ambassador, seize control of the ship and take it to a planet to start a culture based on Borellian principles (much the same as what we heard in the episode but given some greater clarity and needed background detail).

I felt Apollo was too passive when Starbuck got irate over learning about the background check on Chameleon and walked away with his "end of a friendship" declaration. I had Apollo lose his cool and give a few choice retorts to Starbuck for overreacting and being so overly trusting of Chameleon.

Also, I set the stage for Starbuck's clash with Ortega by having scenes of Ortega at the Chancery and words being exchanged between them. Then, when a drunken Ortega nearly starts a brawl with Starbuck in the Officer's Club, Boomer has to step in and then makes Ortega take his deep patrol as punishment where in his not completely sober state he lets slip the name "Charybdis" to Barton who will remember it in MOTRS.

End of this part of the story after the final scene of the episode as we know it has Charybdis confronting Ortega and telling him that he won't pay him any more blackmail money unless he agrees to throw his upcoming triad match with Apollo and Starbuck and get himself thrown out of the game. Then, Charybdis will meet him in the locker room area and give him an extra payoff. What Charybdis is really doing is setting up Ortega for his murder. To me, this was important because unless Ortega deliberately got himself thrown out of the game there would have been no reason for Charybdis to have known ahead of time that Ortega would be down there and have been able to have hatched any kind of coherent murder scheme to begin with.

Old April 15th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #12
SpyOne
On Vacation...

I like your stuff.
But, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
To me, this was important because unless Ortega deliberately got himself thrown out of the game there would have been no reason for Charybdis to have known ahead of time that Ortega would be down there and have been able to have hatched any kind of coherent murder scheme to begin with.
Whereas I think that Charybdis didn't have any kind of coherant scheme. He hated Ortega, and saw his Window of Opportunity when he realized Ortega would be alone while everyone was watching the game.
In fact, my only question is why take the gun of the one guy who's likely to miss it? I mean, Apollo was still in the game, so he wouldn't notice his gun was gone, whereas if Starbuck showered quickly, ...
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #13
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyOne
In fact, my only question is why take the gun of the one guy who's likely to miss it? I mean, Apollo was still in the game, so he wouldn't notice his gun was gone, whereas if Starbuck showered quickly, ...
For the answer to that question, stay tune for my summary under MOTRS. I actually make the argument that framing Starbuck was the one part of Charybdis's plan that ended up being improvised, since he couldn't anticipate that Starbuck was going to get thrown out of the game and disrupt the way he first planned it.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:01 AM   #14
Senmut
Strike Leader

Okay, EP...where's the summary????????????????????
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM   #15
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It takes me more than three months to tell you at last, Senmut, that the summary you asked for was posted a month before in the MOTRS thread on May 18.

Old August 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #16
Senmut
Strike Leader

Ah.
Only three months? Shouldn't that be sectars?
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #17
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Five sectans for me to say, yeah three sectars.

Old September 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #18
Senmut
Strike Leader

Better late than never, EP.
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #19
Jubal
Warrior

Default Re: 11: The Man With Nine Lives

This episode was simply awesome.

(wracks brain).

Perhaps a counsel meeting of the Nomen on whatever corner of whatever ship they happen to inhabit and how they have made theirselves at home there amoungst all the technology. (Did they manage to import dirt from some planet along the way to give the floor a more on world feel? Etc.)

How could that have worked? Well if there is one thing I like about Galactica it was the fleet. Marvel comics even touched on life on the other ships, and this episode with the fleet TV network, and other aspects of life on and travel between the ships showed a lot already. I think the Noman's environment within the fleet was all that I found missing.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I think they had their own ship, "Freighter Borrella" IIRC.
The Nomen were my favorite secondary characters in the series by far. I really wanted to hear Maga go on a bit more about the "land of the Mega Sun and endless sands".
Richard Hatch's novels dealt with a Nomen character that Apollo saves , and this Nomen swears a an oath to protect Apollo.
I also think that finding out what becomes of the three Nomen when they reach Terra with commandant Leighter would be very interesting.
Old October 15th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #21
Senmut
Strike Leader

EP did something with them in his re-do/write up of the ep.
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #22
LZaza
Warrior

Didn't he throw them out the air lock?
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #23
Senmut
Strike Leader

I believe so. With all that extra weight, the Enforcers needed to make their ship Leiter.
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #24
Jubal
Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: 11: The Man With Nine Lives

Brutal.

So has anyone read the book "Die Chameleon, Die!" in the classic BSG books that Glen Larson had a hand writing. I picked that up but have yet to read it. Just wondering what some of the thoughts were here of it?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote