Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

View Poll Results: When did you become a Battlestar Galactica fan
Summer of '78 (for non-US theatre goers) 12 9.16%
September 17, 1978 (premiere on ABC) 81 61.83%
Sometime in '78-'79 13 9.92%
When the telemovies ran in the 80s 9 6.87%
Scifi's syndication/marathons in the 90s 6 4.58%
New miniseries premiere 7 5.34%
1979 (or subsequent) theatre run 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default I became a fan of bsg when?

This is a getting to know you sort of question, so I'm putting it in the TOS forum so everyon can answer....

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

September 17th, 1978. Like I said over on CA, my Starsky and Hutch poster in my room got promptly replaced by one of Starbuck and Apollo.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

The Hardy boys got replaced by Starbuck and Apollo for me! LOL!

Glad to know someone else liked the Striped Tomato too!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #4
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

It took my mother a couple weeks to notice the change. She asked me what happen to the guys with the car? :laugh:
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Belloby
Bad Email Address

The night the series premiered...I can tell you the moment too. It was the first time I saw a Viper launch. It was indescribable.

The line at the end of the movie: "Purple and Orange? We don't have Purple and Orange Squadrons" made me a fan for life. A couple of guys who don't have a chance in hell of making it, but do it because its the right thing to do.

That's what its all about.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #6
Ian_W359
Warrior

Not being from the US, I'm not sure where I would fit in on this poll - I first saw BSG (the series, '80 and the theatrical movies) in the early '80s and loved it then. I guess it came and went in the following years (I became a bit of a 'Trekkie/Trekker') until a BBC re-run in '97-98 when I taped the whole series and started getting involved in the fandom, firstly joining the UK fanclub 'The Thirteenth Tribe'....

By your command,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

September 17, 1978

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #8
amberstar
Strike Leader

September 1978. I may have only been almost 6 at that time, but I remember watching it with my mother. I loved the vipers and Commander Adama (he reminded me of my grandfather back then).
It was great.
When I became an early teen I saw it again (re runs), and my love for it grew even deeper with an understanding from an older perspective.
Today, I am still learnig new things from this serries, it keeps bringing me in even deeper.

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #9
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

September 17, 1978 (premiere on ABC)

But no, I was a fan before then. The first time I saw the previews for the 3 hour movie, I went gaga over it and couldn't wait to watch the show. I was a diehard fan even before the show premiered.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #10
GreggAllinson
Bad Email Address

Default Around late '97/early '98

I'd heard of Galactica, but it always had *the worst* reputation and I thought "Wow, must've really stank." Then I saw Armageddon on the shelf at Borders and thought "Huh. That actually looks pretty cool." I picked it up, read it, and right after I finished reading it, Skiffy started running the series from Saga of a Star World to the end. I missed a few episodes (I *still* haven't seen Take the Celestra), but for the most part, I caught them after my classes were done for the day.
GreggAllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #11
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

I dont' remember when. The first I remember of it is when I built the entire rag tag fleet out of lego, back when I was about 8, and I'm sure I must have watched it at least a couple of times before that. I'm 23 now and the fleet is long-gone (sadly). I haven't really been in to it the way alot of your have. I never read the novels. BSG wasn't shown on UK TV much while I was watching - or I just missed it, I dunno - so other things caught my interest. Star Trek, The Simpsons and babylon 5 kept me engaged for a long time...

But ultimately, I come back to BSG in my memory. It was probably the best show of my youth. I used to try and draw those vipers and the galactica all the time (and of course there's the fleet I did)... ooh, I have an urge to dig all that old lego out again now.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #12
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

I was a fan when I was a baby! I don't know exactly when. I didn't know wghat the show was about I was 1 yr old. But I would watch anything sci fi uniterrupted. As I got a bit older 3-5 I watched it on syndication and had a better appreciation for it. Was a fan then still a fan now!

I pity the fool who treads on my childhood memories!
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #13
gunner

Default i became a fan

i was 12 and my neighbor was 13 we watched together and every week after we still call each other when the reruns are on, she now in MN and I in WI but we still watch together.
Old December 13th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #14
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default hmmm

Well I have to say that I remember a few scenes from when it would air on some channel prieview channel in the 90's... it was prolly previewing the sci-fi channel. I recently got back into it in the last few months since I heard about the mini-series... and yah so im pretty much a newbie...
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #15
Oenone
Bad Email Address

Well this is my first post here. Looks like you've picked up quite a few more refugees in the last few days.

First saw BSG when it aired here in the UK during the early 80's. I was prbly 4 or 5 at the time. I'll remember this as the show that got me hooked on Sci-Fi.

I've seen the remake (via bittorrent, sorry couldnt wait) and found it only mildly blasphemous, there were some changes for the good, remember this is was only just a test for a possible series so any mistakes can be fixed if their willing to listen to public opinion. I'll definatly watch it again on TV when it aires in the UK, which will be quite a while.

I think I'll leave further discussion on the mini for another thread.
Oenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 02:58 AM   #16
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I was buying Battlestar Galactica toys in late July of 1978 before I knew what it was. I was at the five 'n dime to buy Star Wars toys...those damn Cylons looked to cool.

"EXTERMINATION"
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #17
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

HOLY COW!!!

I've never seen so many cylons!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #18
Oenone
Bad Email Address

"EXTERMINATION"

For some reason that reminded me of the song Galactica by Astral Projection.
Oenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:35 AM   #19
jonahlee
Warrior

I was only 3 when it came out, though I had seen Star Wars in the theaters and was pretty much addicted to all things Sci-Fi. I am pretty sure it was 1978-1979 that I started watching the show, as I remember how dissapointed I was with Galactica 1980, though all I remembered awas that only Loren Greene was the same, the Vipers could turn inviisble, and they had motorcycles that flew,

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #20
ViperAce
Bad Email Address

WOW!!! gotta love a Poll that causes such tremendous flashbacks ... and the vivid detail of the flashbacks ... the ugly green carpet and hideous black couch in the living room ... the old Coke 16oz tall bottles (of which I was only allowed half) ... & dropping my stormtrooper action figure off the couch, realizing it was no match for a cylon!!!
9/17/1978
OMG ... I wanna be 7 again!!!!!!
ViperAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #21
Viper4
Bad Email Address

Gads, the memories... I remember wishing we had one of those newfangled VCR’s the night BSG aired. I was trying to watch both BSG and the part two of the Hardy Boys big cliffhanger. Sean Cassidy‘s character was getting married and I couldn‘t miss it - but there was this neat looking Sci-Fi show airing, too. So I started out flipping between the two. By the time the show ended, I didn’t care who married whom on the Hardy Boys, it just didn’t matter anymore. I don’t think I even watch another Hardy Boy episode. It was BSG all the way - and still is!
Viper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #22
Terayon
Shuttle Pilot

I was 14 or 15 when it came out. My family lived out in the country, and we only got 2 channels on the TV. I had to go to confirmation class (for church) once a week, and we'd stop in town and visit my grandma beforehand. She got probably 5 or 6 channels on her TV. And Battlestar Galactica was one of them! The worst - worst - thing of all was that my class started halfway through the episode! I whined and begged so much that my folks finally let me go to class late so that I could watch the episodes through to the end.

And now my DVD's should arrive any day! Ahhh, life is good.
Terayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:31 AM   #23
bsg1fan1975
Major

Cool

I was 2 when the show premiered and was allowed to watch it with my older sister. I connected with again when I was a teen and still love it today!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:11 PM   #24
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Default Yep.

I remember seeing the movie first with my summer daycare class. Afterwards, we played BSG outside on the playground equipment.

I don't think I would let a 5 or 6 year old see this new one. Nope.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:34 PM   #25
AlphaAce

Default Hm... That's a good question

Well, considering I was born in 1978, I never saw the original series (that I remember anyways) when it first aired. I remember watching the shows on TV when I was home sick from school in the early 80's. I enjoyed the show greatly and it wasn't until Sci-Fi starting showing it regularly that it has gained my attention later on in life.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:52 AM   #26
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

September 17, 1978 (premiere on ABC). I still have the Battlestar Galactica (and Pegasus, bought 2, the model included the decals for both), Basestar (stand is broken though), Viper, and Cylon Raider models, plus the jigsaw puzzle which showed at least 2 battlestars with the "ragtag fleet".
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM   #27
CrysWimmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper4
Gads, the memories... So I started out flipping between the two. By the time the show ended, I didn’t care who married whom on the Hardy Boys, it just didn’t matter anymore. I don’t think I even watch another Hardy Boy episode. It was BSG all the way - and still is!
OMG - talk about flashbacks! That episode was Last Kiss of Summer, BTW, and one of my favorites <g>. He married Jamie, and forever crushed my love for Shaun Cassidy <g>.

We ran BG on the other TV and I kept running back and forth. Before the move was done, I was in love with Richard Hatch. Okay - I was fickle at 10 By the time I was 12, I'd collected every Glen Larson book, built models of both Cylon attack craft and Vipers, and had collected all the trading cards. You wouldn't believe the ribbing I took when I offered my collection to the library case for display... girls just didn't WATCH such things! Yeah right... they didn't pick Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict for the boys.

I also remember watching the movie in the theater. I fell asleep (hey, I was only 10 - and we'd watched Love at First Bite first) and cried the whole way home because I'd missed it. Y'know - I'm glad I'm not a kid anymore!

-Crys-
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #28
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I loved the cylon toys too and they were alot cheaper
then the starwars toys! I was angry though when my
brother destroyed them .........I don't think he ever
found out that I put EXLAX into the brownies that I
"MADE" for him
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #29
amberstar
Strike Leader

I know how you feel Shinningstar. My brother used to tie firecrackers to my GI Joes and watch them explode! I was soooooo angry with him.
I just wish I'd thought about the exlax thing back then.
Lucky for me he didn't find my BSG Toys!
LOL!

Amber
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

From day -20 or so. From the first ad for it (I can still remember the ad, showing a Raider making a strafing run, and Apollo's line "Most of us are dead."), I was hooked. I was assimilated. Resistance was useless. :borg:
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote