Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 16th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #31
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
I agree the whole scene gave me chills and goose bumps! I loved it!
Now, see, for me, the most moving moment in the entire trilogy is when Darth says, "Then. . .perhaps SHE can!" [be turned to the Dark Side] and Luke snaps and comes charging out like a blazing white knight on fire and utterly cleans Darth's clock. The heroic rescue of the damsel in danger. Took my breath right away.
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #32
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil
Now, see, for me, the most moving moment in the entire trilogy is when Darth says, "Then. . .perhaps SHE can!" [be turned to the Dark Side] and Luke snaps and comes charging out like a blazing white knight on fire and utterly cleans Darth's clock. The heroic rescue of the damsel in danger. Took my breath right away.
unfortunately for me I read the book before going to see the movie so I knew all along that they were brother and sister etc. which really took the punch out of that moment for me
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #33
Bombadil

Well, I admit I also enjoyed the screwy contortions on Han's face when Leia says, "He's my brother!" Ford is actually very talented with expressions. But he had something to work with, too. I can feel in my own chest the sensation of, "What?? You mean I DO have a chance with this lady?" I remember being in high school and college, and that feeling of hopelessness that a certain someone was completely unattainable. Go for it, Han!!
Does that make me a closet Romantic? Comment, ladies??

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #34
cranky1c
Warrior

I know this is a BG site, but I'm going to spew about Luke for a second. (The fun of this stuff is interpretation, BTW, just my view, not knocking anyone else's.)

What makes Luke, IMO, the most intersting character of the series is that he struggles with the temptations of his passions and what he knows is right. There is a conflict between anger and heroics that defines the character. I think of the scene where he nearly kills DV as a loss of control, giving in to the dark side. Only when he's cut off Darth's hand, sees it's mechanical, and shows this expression on his face that says "This is how it begins...." does he stop. I see the attack as a moment of lost control, born out of a positive feeling grant you, but it's still rage.

The scene where DV reveals he's Luke's father, and where he offers him a place with him, is the defining moment for Luke. Rather than join his father, he commits suicide in effect. He calmly rejects self interest (survival) and takes action which says "my death is better than a life under your shadow." No Oedipal implications there....
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #35
Antelope

This thread really got me thinking. I don't think I have ever read any scifi written by a woman. I never avoided women writers I just usually browse the book store when I travel or when I'm away from home and pick up whatever appears interesting. For whatever reason it usually turns out to be male written (Heinlein,Card,Asimov,Robinson). I read more science than scifi and I can't think of anything I read there either that was written by a woman. In history and politics I maybe get 10% of my reading from women. Only in the area of the supernatural or UFO type stuff do I read woman probably half the time.

I wonder how prevalent women authors are in general once you go beyond the romance section of the book store. I can think of some famous woman authors lately like Rice but in general outside romance woman must be published far less than men. What is the reason for this if true? Do women submit as much non-romance to the publishers? I hear publishers are a pretty liberal lot. Do they still ignore women? I don't know the answer and have no opinion. If any of you are familiar with this please enlighten me.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #36
bsg1fan1975
Major

Cool

Quote:
for me it was definitely "Luke I am your father"

that is very chilling because it could have been an outright lie!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #37
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Antelope, I'm not sure where you live, but in the book stores I go to I see just as many women authors as men and I do not visit the romance section. I know that in the past there were a lot of women quthors who used male pseudonyms or initials because there was a lot of discrmination. But, this is the 21st century now and there are a lot of women writing freely and openly (among other things).

I'd take a second (and closer) look at authors' names next time you're in a store. You might not have seen it because you weren't looking for it (llike people who never know how many green Jeep Cherokees are on the road until they buy one & are actually looking instead of seeing).

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #38
Antelope

I do see woman authors in the stores I guess they just aren't as prevalent in the genres I tend to read. I notice more womens names in the fantasy side of scifi (Books with dragons & mythical kind of people). I think in general you just don't see as much in the hard science scifi, science, and history. Next time I go in Barnes and Nobles I'll take a harder look. I know there are woman there but I don't think the percentages are anywhere near equal in what I read. I wonder if woman still do not go into the hard science fields in general today like in the old days.
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #39
Bombadil

I find it fascinating to really think about the general differences between the way the sexes communicate. On the one hand, you don't want to callously insist that any particular individual follows the sex norm (in my house, my wife is the math expert and I love language, which everybody knows is backwards!) but it is still enlightening to discover and appreciate just what those general differences are. I think we all can see that men love a good action/adventure where women will gravitate toward the romance. Fair enough. But there are other distinctions, too. What are they?
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #40
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
I think we all can see that men love a good action/adventure where women will gravitate toward the romance.
Really? Sez who?

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #41
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
Really? Sez who?
Hmmmm. A troublemaker. OK, go ahead and stir things up, Uno! Continue!
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #42
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
I think we all can see that men love a good action/adventure where women will gravitate toward the romance.
Yes I'm going to have to protest that one too!!! I don't read any romance novels! I hate romance novels!! I could count on my fingers the amount I read in my whole life! I much prefer action/adventure are you KIDDING ME??!!! I grew up reading 20 thousand leagues under the sea and Treasure Island, The black stallion series. I like movies like: Terminator, X-men, Broken Arrow, Point Break, Road House, Mission Impossible, Dune, Highlander, Rocky, Cliff hanger, Jackie Chan,The Fugitive, The Bourne Identity, Aliens, Die hard, Galdiator...the list goes on

me thinks thou art a wee bit mistaken about some of us...
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #43
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
So which line in Star Wars moves you more: Darth saying to Luke, "I AM your father!" or Leia saying to Han, "Hold me!"
Darth saying to Luke, "IAMyour father!"

That one was PRICELESS!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #44
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I liked that one too!
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #45
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Yes I'm going to have to protest that one too!!! I don't read any romance novels! I hate romance novels!! I could count on my fingers the amount I read in my whole life! I much prefer action/adventure are you KIDDING ME??!!! I grew up reading 20 thousand leagues under the sea and Treasure Island, The black stallion series. I like movies like: Terminator, X-men, Broken Arrow, Point Break, Road House, Mission Impossible, Dune, Highlander, Rocky, Cliff hanger, Jackie Chan,The Fugitive, The Bourne Identity, Aliens, Die hard, Galdiator...the list goes on

me thinks thou art a wee bit mistaken about some of us...
I prefer to read scifi, horror, mystery and SPY novels ...............to that ROMANCE trash :

I'd rather have a ROOT CANAL then READ the romance crap
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #46
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Well, I admit I also enjoyed the screwy contortions on Han's face when Leia says, "He's my brother!" Ford is actually very talented with expressions. But he had something to work with, too. I can feel in my own chest the sensation of, "What?? You mean I DO have a chance with this lady?" I remember being in high school and college, and that feeling of hopelessness that a certain someone was completely unattainable. Go for it, Han!!
Does that make me a closet Romantic? Comment, ladies??

LOL! yes you are a romantic but I think it's a hopeless one not a closet one since you are admitting it to all of us!!
Old April 17th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #47
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
So which line in Star Wars moves you more: Darth saying to Luke, "I AM your father!" or Leia saying to Han, "Hold me!"
You know I don't even remember Leia saying that ...which movie? and when?
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:35 AM   #48
Bombadil

Quote:
You know I don't even remember Leia saying that ...which movie? and when?
When Leia and Han are talking in the village on Endor, and Leia is so upset and Han is starting to fuss at her and she just can't tell him what she's thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
I prefer to read scifi, horror, mystery and SPY novels ...............to that ROMANCE trash :
I'd rather have a ROOT CANAL then READ the romance crap

I agree, but I'm a guy, I expect to feel that way.
Do you think that there is THAT much difference between the female portion of the audience at this forum (higher average intelligence, interest in SF more than Danielle Steele, other. . .)? Remember, I've already remarked that it's a mistake to hold any individual to a general stereotype, but the generalities still exist that cause the stereotype to catch hold.

Old April 19th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #49
Bombadil

Who do you think is the best woman SF author currently writing? Why?
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #50
Rowan
On Vacation...

CJ Cherryh without doubt! complex, exciting story telling, interesting and well developed characters, remarkable versitility with story ideas, prolific, multiple award winning, I could go on and on!
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #51
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

OK, now yall have my attention!!!! Talking StarWars. *drooling* There are many scenes that hit my heart ... aw heck remember who yall are talking too.

As for being drawn to the romance books... only if I can't find anything good in the scifi section. And even then I am bored to tears!

And I have to put in my nomination for Anne McCaffrey!!!
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #52
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

I'd vote for her puely on the merits of Restoree, but there's a bunch of stuff she's done that tickles my fancy too. I like dragons...
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #53
Rowan
On Vacation...

I have to get back to this and answer it properly
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #54
Rowan
On Vacation...

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #55
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Rowan, what do you mean by "answer it properly"?
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #56
Rowan
On Vacation...

DarkJedi, I was in school at the time these questions were asked and I could not really give it my full attention, I always intended to come back and properly answer them. So I'm preparing a complete and thourough and detailed response to this question.

Suddenly I am interested in what the ladies think about male authors. And vice versa. And about general differences in gender perspective. How male authors portray women. How female authors portray men. Anybody got thoughts to share?

But do you think women authors portray men accurately and do male authors portray women accurately?

Which authors of sci- fi do this well and which do not?

That of course makes me wonder about some women characters written by men: what do ladies tend to think of the strong, sassy broads that Heinlein enjoyed so much? (Other examples also welcome.)

I can read any book without knowing the authors name and tell you if it was written by a woman or a man
How can you tell? What are the things you spot that tip you off?

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #57
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

LOL I was confused by your comment that's why I asked. lol

How were finals btw???
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #58
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi
LOL I was confused by your comment that's why I asked. lol It was a rather cryptic post wasn't it!

How were finals btw???
I did well I passed them thanks for asking
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #59
gmd3d
Major

some of the woman sci-fi authors i like Margaret Wander Bonanno who wrote
Strangers From the Sky a star trek novel I like a lot.
Diane Carey ' Vonda N. McIntyre 'Jean Lorrah'Diane Duane

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #60
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin
some of the woman sci-fi authors i like Margaret Wander Bonanno who wrote
Strangers From the Sky a star trek novel I like a lot.
Diane Carey ' Vonda N. McIntyre 'Jean Lorrah'Diane Duane
I'm sensing a theme, here, potemkin. Could it be that you like ST: TOS novels? I think that I have enjoyed the same books as you did. I can't wait to remodel my house and get all my books out of storage so I can reread them again (and again).