Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 31st, 2003, 02:49 PM   #1
Philloz

Default Viper variants

Just some questions about Viper variants ... as a modeller, I'm also curious if any fans have taken to building versions of the following:

1) What exactly is a "Scarlet Viper'? I've seen this term in Richard's books ... is it an invention of Richard's or did it come from elsewhere?

2) The sixth millenium fighter seen in "The Long Patrol": It's implied that the technology came from the colonies. Is this a Viper forerunner?

3) The altered designs for the Viper seen in the Maximum Press comics and the Trendmasters toys from the 1990s seem similar at first glance but are not quite the same. What are the pedigrees for these designs? Are they "official" in any way?

Just curious ... with new variants coming along from the videogame and the "reimagining," the Viper seems to be a rather durable design that invites numerous imaginative variations.
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:38 PM   #2
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default Re: Viper variants

Quote:
Originally posted by Philloz
Just some questions about Viper variants ... as a modeller, I'm also curious if any fans have taken to building versions of the following:

1) What exactly is a "Scarlet Viper'? I've seen this term in Richard's books ... is it an invention of Richard's or did it come from elsewhere?
The Scarlet Viper is the next generation of Colonial spacefighter technology; it replaces or supplements the classic Starhound Viper which we know from the 1978/79 series. It was introduced in Richard's "Battlestar Galactica - Armageddon" novel. In fact, Apollo is flying one during the first chapter while Starbuck is still in the older Viper.

The Scarlet Viper has everything from enhanced engine output to more weaponry. And in Richard's trailer, it kicks astrums against the Cylons!

Steve Parady helped to create the design. (Steve has a model kit modification available on the 'net at Millennia Models International. Steve has also discussed his work on sites like BattlestarGalactica.com, BattlestarPegasus.com and BattlestarFanClub.com, too.)

James Betteridge modeled an awesome CGI version for the TSC trailer. And a few others have created conceptual work for a next-gen Viper, including Tom DeSanto and Guy Hendrix-Dyas.

As to "why Scarlet?" Richard likes the color red.

I imagine we haven't seen the last of the Scarlet Viper, especially where fans are concerned. (Mark my words.) It's simply a very cool fighter which some fans will remember for a while.

Quote:
2) The sixth millenium fighter seen in "The Long Patrol": It's implied that the technology came from the colonies. Is this a Viper forerunner?
I'd wager yes. Question is, was this a Viper design which Adama, Cain and Tigh might have flown? Given the wing design, and how it might launch from the Galactica's tubes (or any battlestar's tubes), I wonder if it's an even older design. (I posted a photo of the actual model in the Art section a while back. Sorry I can't recall which thread it's in.)

Quote:
3) The altered designs for the Viper seen in the Maximum Press comics and the Trendmasters toys from the 1990s seem similar at first glance but are not quite the same. What are the pedigrees for these designs? Are they "official" in any way?
No more official than the Scarlet Viper. :p

Quote:
Just curious ... with new variants coming along from the videogame and the "reimagining," the Viper seems to be a rather durable design that invites numerous imaginative variations.
Too true!

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Erzengel

Where can I go to see what the scarlet viper looks like?
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:43 PM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Default How come no one builds a Viper Duet?

Scarlet Vipers from the Galactica Armageddon novel. But no ones bothered to build Viper Duets from Cain's Battlestar Pegasus? Is this because of the Glen Larson getting rights to Living Legend's Battlestar Pegasus storyline issue? And the Pegasus not being involved in the BG:Second Coming Trailers.

Or the Viper Duets less popular than the Scarlet ones in the novels?

KJ

P.S. Azure Vipers were more advanced than the Starhounds of the series according to the Armageddon novel. Then they were replaced by the Scarlet models. But Starbuck prefered the classic starhound Vipers due to familarity of design (basically he loves the older models) what a guy!
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Erzengel
Where can I go to see what the scarlet viper looks like?
Go here and here.

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/g...ady_oct99.html

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/g...ist/index.html

Jim:colwar:
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:13 AM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Viper variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries View Post

I'd wager yes. Question is, was this a Viper design which Adama, Cain and Tigh might have flown? Given the wing design, and how it might launch from the Galactica's tubes (or any battlestar's tubes), I wonder if it's an even older design. (I posted a photo of the actual model in the Art section a while back. Sorry I can't recall which thread it's in.)

Can it fold wings, like some of our WWII fighters? Zips down the launch tube, till it's out into space, then the wings extend?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote